Pizza

Coffee talk.
Cascadia

Re: Pizza

Post by Cascadia »

If you’re not using San Marzano tomatoes you’re not doing it right.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:20 am Who didn’t live off of Pizza Shuttle, Gumby’s, Chipotle, Jimmy John’s and Burrito King?
Like I said, I dunno if I’ve ever actually had pizza shuttle. But all the other ones, yep.

Gumby’s was our standard issue late night delivery munchies. Sometimes Jimmy John’s too, as both were within stumbling distance from Ousdahl road.

Jimmy John’s was good when it first opened in Lawrence, cuz the sammiches were initially only like 2.75 apiece. They’ve gone up in price every year since, and pretty sure they’re like 3x as much now, though they’ve done nothing to improve the quality. (My buddy worked at a Jimmy John’s for a short while. They made him sign a non-compete...for sammiches...LOL)

I’ve had burrito king plenty too, but it was on the other side of town, so the only time we had it is if we were over there for a house party or football game, or had a DD drive through coming home late night. Either way, I’ve never had it unless completely hammered.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I don't think anyone has had a sober Burrito King experience. Their food is/was awful, but at 3:00 am? Hit me with a chicken burrito!

I can't eat either Jimmy John's or Chipotle today, but as you noted both were ridiculously cheap when when they first came to town. I think Chipotle was something close to $4 for a burrito.

Getting Pepperoni Rolls and a Big Ass Pizza delivered from Gumby's at 4:00 am happened way too often.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Our top 2 late night spots were Burrito King and Tryyaki. Did a lot of Pyramid, too.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I had chipotle in Lawrence a few days ago.
It was good.

Drunk late spot food for me was Brewhawk ( RIP ) which had a three dollar cover but you got three tickets towards food and nine tickets got you a large pizza—find two friends, cash in at 1 am.

And Pita Pit.
Or plan ahead with several Tony’s Supreme oven pizzas.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:48 am Our top 2 late night spots were Burrito King and Tryyaki. Did a lot of Pyramid, too.
When I think back to late night drunk food, it’s six tacos at Burrito King, or Shuttle or Gumby’s.

Or, during the first couple weeks of each semester, Domino’s 10-inch pizzas for like $2 or something.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Tangential, but we also hit Jersey Mike’s a lot when it opened. One night of the week they had some all-you-can-eat deal where they’d put out platters of various sammiches, catering style, and we’d go to town.

They also had some deal like a nickel off for every point over 60 that KU basketball scores. Then the meat necklace game happened. Sammiches were like 45 cents. There was a line out the door. That put an end to that promotion.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:20 am Who didn’t live off of Pizza Shuttle, Gumby’s, Chipotle, Jimmy John’s and Burrito King?
I don’t recall Gumby’s, JJ or Chipotle when I lived in Lawrence. There was a sandwich place called Sub & Stuff on 23rd. Think Taco John’s (coupon on grocery bags!) went there in 86 or so. Also Schlotszkys opened around 87. Shuttle was definitely a regular. Pizza Hut gave $4 off after home games if we scored 80 points. $5 off if we scored 100.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:28 am If you’re not using San Marzano tomatoes you’re not doing it right.
Or a pizza stone for that matter! Just chopped garlic, San Marzano, oregano and fresh mozzarella chunks, bake on a stone at 550F, top with basil, drizzle some good olive oil, pepper flakes and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Yummmmm
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

zsn wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:08 pm
I don’t recall Gumby’s, JJ or Chipotle when I lived in Lawrence. There was a sandwich place called Sub & Stuff on 23rd. Think Taco John’s (coupon on grocery bags!) went there in 86 or so. Also Schlotszkys opened around 87. Shuttle was definitely a regular. Pizza Hut gave $4 off after home games if we scored 80 points. $5 off if we scored 100.
I ate way too much Taco John’s........Super Potato Ole!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

50 cent Tacos on Tuesday.
6 tacos.
Plus, of course, oles.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

chipotle was awesome right up until they started managing portions
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Roommate loved Gumby's so freshman year we ate a ton of Big Asses and Pooke sticks. Never was a fan of that pizza.
Got older it was the Wheel Pizza when visiting Hawk. Haven't had it since and have no interest either.
Pyramid, I think that was it was good. (they had a location in or next door to a gas station. I think also by where Marty Watson had his barbershop) My GF had an apartment over by the stadium so we use to get that with honey. That was good pizza.

No slander of Beau Jo's will be allowed. I love that pizza. Delicious when heading back down from the mtns.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

best pizza in utah

https://nicolitalia.com/
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Post KU days, I made the mistake of eating Wheel Pizza sober. Don't do it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

add it to the long list of reasons to not go to the wheel.

and it's not that CO style is not delicious. It's that the crust:pizza ratio is way off.

it can still be good, cuz fresh bread is so good either way. And you're supposed to put honey on it, like it's dessert.

but the cynic in me thinks the whole style was innovated by some bean-counting kitchen manager who was trying to save a few pennies on ingredients. Plus whether Beau Jos or the Hern, it's tourist prices, so yall are paying like 25 bucks a pop for what's mostly a loaf of bread.

There's like 2 bites per slice of the cheese and sauce and toppings and actual pizza part.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Wheel Pizza was barely edible when drunk much less sober. If I remember that was some bland and basic pizza. Always did the trick though and the people watching out front was A+.

Damn if that doesn't look amazing. Normally I am a topping guy but for whatever reason I love that pizza but for all the reasons you just broke down I would never get it that often unless my parents or in-laws were in town because they would pay for it. Other wise, you are right it was expensive for what you were getting.
Holidaysmore - 2005
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

That co pizza looks good to me
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Where does everyone fall on Detroit-style pizza? Reminds me too much of school cafeteria pizza.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I like it, when it's not too oily. And I don't need to move for 18 hours following its consumption.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.