Roi hangs em up

Kansas Basketball.
Walrus

Re: Roi hangs em up

Post by Walrus »

I still think had Heinrich just taken that last shot, we might remember Roy very differently. What is Bill's tournament record against Roy (with all of Bill's teams)? 4-1? I know he lost to Roy once when he was at Illinois. That 2002 team will go down as my favorite Roy team.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I think Roy is a great recruiter and practice coach. Bill is one of the best game coaches. I’d rather have Self on the bench down by 5, with a minute left than Roy on the bench up by 5, with a minute left.

Still, one of the best coaches, ever!
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

With a minute left, atleast you wouldn't have to worry about how many timeouts Roy has left.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Walrus wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:42 pm I still think had Heinrich just taken that last shot, we might remember Roy very differently. What is Bill's tournament record against Roy (with all of Bill's teams)? 4-1? I know he lost to Roy once when he was at Illinois. That 2002 team will go down as my favorite Roy team.
Even though you can't spell the last name of one of the key players.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:36 pm
LVCHawk wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:32 pm I think you can argue Roy was better than Coach K as a Coach. Career wise no, but as a coach I think you could. Granted I can't stand Coach K, but hear me out.

K has 12? Final Four's, with 7 of them coming from the mid 80's to 94. Back when almost all his players stayed all 4 years. Incredible run for sure. Completely different time period though.

Since then, mid 90's, Roy has more Final 4's, the same amount of NCAA Titles, and more conference titles. He led 2 teams, in 2 completely different conferences to being the best in the sport for an extended period of time. He is not without his flaws, UTEP, 97 and 98, but he's a horrific free throw shooting display, and the greatest tournament shot ever going against him, from having 5 titles himself. K didn't have the shot go in against him against Butler, and selling his soul to Satan which may actually be himself, Lateeners' shot went in that helped him win his 2nd. So it's razor thin from Roy having 4, maybe 5, and Coach K at least having 4, the Butler shot was admittedly much harder than what Nova hit on Roy.

Also, F Coach K
Roy really turned the ACC upside down when he got there.

Without looking, I’m pretty sure Roy had way more ACC and NCAA success than K 2005 on.
K has 0 conference titles since 2010 and only one since '06

Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Typos. ;)
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Deleted User 865

Post by Deleted User 865 »

Also something that I don't think we'll ever seen again, a coach who coached 33 years, coached just two gigs. Kansas, then UNC. Crazy that his first gig was Kansas.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Boeheim?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

So I'm betting self will get roy back out to lawrence sooner rather than later to honor him. it should be in front of a full capacity crowd
Deleted User 865

Post by Deleted User 865 »

pdub wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:53 pmBoeheim?
1. I said we would never see it again. Try and keep up.
2. Cuse is nowhere near the program of Kansas or UNC.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Mark Few is 11 years away from matching.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

I read someone argue Wright could go to UNC. I don't see that happening.

Boeheim will likely die on the court when he's 101.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

randylahey wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:58 pm So I'm betting self will get roy back out to lawrence sooner rather than later to show us how to run a fast break.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:22 pm
randylahey wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:58 pm So I'm betting self will get roy back out to lawrence sooner rather than later to show us how to run a fast break.
Secondary break. World’s best.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Several of you on here feel his stepping away is health related and even imply you know for a fact that's why he is retiring.
Obviously he's not in the best of health but what changed regarding his health between let's say 2-3 months ago and the day he made the decision?
My worthless assumption is that he's extremely frustrated with the current transfer protocol, lost at least one valuable player, doesn't like the current state of NCAA Basketball, had a piss poor past two seasons by his and UNC standards, and just feels if he had to make the ultimate decision on when to retire (instead of choosing to coach until the day he dies), now is as good as any time to do as such.
While he is still in at least decent health, he can now enjoy his "twilight" years. Good for him. He's earned it.
HandC

Post by HandC »

Question:

Was Roy’s contract with KU up when he left for UNC, or did he break it through the exit clause? I can’t remember.

Because if he was still under contract, then he’s a fucking hypocrite for calling out student transfers and talking about honoring commitments.

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Ar ... kibcPNHhd8
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Roy would have been at KU forever if Matt Doherty would have been a good coach...and I think he would have won multiple championships here...but I'm still glad things worked out the way they did.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser