Site Admin

Re: Bryce Thompson Transferring

Post by pdub »

Bummer loosing guys like him for sure.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah. Bummer.

Is there anyone available who can make us more athletic than what we otherwise had with Bryce?

But also dunno how we managed to accumulate so many non-shooter guards at once
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

As advertised, he was supposed to be a scorer at multiple points on the court, and be able to create his own shot at those points.

You could see the moves to get him the space - he just ended up missing the shots.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

35% from the field and 22% from 3 is not very good.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:45 pm Yeah. Bummer.

Is there anyone available who can make us more athletic than what we otherwise had with Bryce?

But also dunno how we managed to accumulate so many non-shooter guards at once
Looks like Bryce Hamilton at UNLV is considering KU. He can't shoot well, but he's athletic as hell and can beat a lot of guys off the dribble.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I'm not surprised nor bummed out he is leaving. Seemed like a good enough kid but all the things he was advertised to be I never saw and that was before injuries robbed him of any chance after that. To the naked eye he seemed really small and his jump shot some how got worse and worse as the season progressed. Maybe the kid gets it turned going to Tulsa.

Is it time to further address why high rated wings just never seem to pan out here?
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Are we sure he's going to Tulsa?
Wasn't OU high on his list before he came here?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:44 pm Entire 2020 class is gone.

Grimes and Thompson both 5 star guards, both transferred home after 1 year.

Self just doesn't do well with 5-star non-PGs. But you get him a good PG (TyTy) and he'll have a dominant offense.
Brandon rush. Xavier Henry. Svi. Josh Jackson. Self does fine. The key is you have to be able to shoot if you arent a point guard. doesn't matter how much hype you have coming out of high school
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I'm disappointed to see him go. If he had been patient he could have eventually been a damn good player. but he wasn't a very good fit with the players around him. He just absolutely has to improve his shooting. the injuries forcing him out of the lineup and then trying to work his way back into the lineup down the stretch of conference play was a bad recipe. he has great tools but he has a weird release and no confidence in his shot. we couldnt really play him in meaningful moments at the end of the year
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I don't blame him at all for transfering tho. as talented as he is he deserves a bigger role somewhere. choosing between being a hometown hero/star or staying at KU and fighting to be a role player. I get it
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

He’s a good kid. Still stinks, but good for him doing what he wants to do.

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/high-scho ... 97cf4.html
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Disclosure. Old, washed guy rant alert.

Maybe I'm reading into it way more than I should but this sounds like a soft kid or one whose parents coddled him way to much. I think back to Russ and Mario, both guys who wanted to transfer because things weren't going their way but Russ's dad would have none of it and Jeff stepped in with Rio.

Of course he is a young kid and things are just different these days but when I hear him say things like 'it was stressful' or I 'just wasn't having fun' I think to myself these are opportunities for life lessons. So, later on in life if your marriage or being a parent get to 'stressful' or just 'aren't fun' are you going to transfer from that too? I could understand if this was his sophomore year and things didn't go well again but he is transferring after a weird and some what unlucky freshman year when almost certainly he would be first in line for a starting role next year.

The transfer portal does give guys who truly did get screwed an opportunity to find a better situation but I also strongly believe, especially in this case it also creates a pattern of young people who believe that running away from your problems is going to fix things. Listen, kid, the grass aint always greener on the other side. Eventually you gotta ask yourself maybe it isn't them its me.

Best of luck, Bryce.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Plus, he’s on his damn phone all the time.
kujayhawkfan

Post by kujayhawkfan »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:36 am Plus, he’s on his damn phone all the time.
it is his right to be on his phone it is his phone
ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Just reading between the lines, I wonder if Self plain told him something like, “we’re playing two PGs going forward and we don’t consider you one of them, and/or btw you’re also behind Braun/(Wilson/Och/???) on the wing.”

Cuz dude seemed to be a starter next year otherwise
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Not a starter if Och is back. Hopefully it is a sign that Och is back.

Worst case is that it means we have a long tourney ban incoming.

Most likely it just means he wasn't very good here and he just wants to move on.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I am going to blame Holiday for yelling at him to get out of his yard.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

He's not wrong though
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CnB is also right even tho he was joking.

The social media and constant internet access has created an insastiable need for instant gratification that carries over into real life far too often. Some things you gotta work to achieve.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, isn’t the unique transfer rule sitch this year prompting an unprecedented number of transfers?

And I like the optimistic thought that it might mean Och is back.

Or, glass half empty, Bryce didn’t wanna ride pine behind Braun even though he torched the dood in practice on the reg