Coach K

Kansas Basketball.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: Coach K

Post by jhawks99 »

Bill will chooose Sleeves as his successor. Or Tyler.
Defense. Rebounds.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:08 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:06 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:04 pm

I might be way off, but I hope, and even think that Bill's ego won't be big enough to pull this on KU.
I hope not too.

But also, who would it be? Other than Townsend, who is no longer even a possibility, he doesn't have the longtime loyal old fart who never got his chance, and he doesn't have the young protege he's been grooming either.
Case, or someone outside the current program like Miles. Or really just any former player we don't know yet will be into coaching.
But that seems weird. Those aren't right-hand guys...Case would have to be promoted and stay in place for a while. Miles getting pulled from the NBA seems out of place.

I guess it doesn't seem likely unless Self hires someone like that to be an assistant. And he clearly wasn't grooming Snacks for the gig.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Honesty, it’s kinda surprising the farewell tour is scheduled for only one season.

This time next year watch him taking career advice from Brett Favre
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:12 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:08 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:06 pm
I hope not too.

But also, who would it be? Other than Townsend, who is no longer even a possibility, he doesn't have the longtime loyal old fart who never got his chance, and he doesn't have the young protege he's been grooming either.
Case, or someone outside the current program like Miles. Or really just any former player we don't know yet will be into coaching.
But that seems weird. Those aren't right-hand guys...Case would have to be promoted and stay in place for a while. Miles getting pulled from the NBA seems out of place.

I guess it doesn't seem likely unless Self hires someone like that to be an assistant. And he clearly wasn't grooming Snacks for the gig.
Yeah, I am definitely operating under the assumption that Self is here a minimum of 5 more seasons. Scheyer started at duke about 7 years ago.

Really hoping for at least a couple of different reasons that Case doesn't get that "interim" tag removed. But, the clock sure has been ticking on that hire. Case being the guy permanently would also not shock.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:11 pmOr Tyler.
You joke, but I'm glad Tyler wants to remain on the business side of basketball. What a disaster Pat Knight was.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Remember when Pat Knight ditched the windbreaker and wore a suit cuz he knew he was about to be fired?

Anywho I googled Pat Knight suit and here’s what I got:

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

what about guys like Vaughn or Haase? program guys that also have HC experience
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

When Self retires, they'll both be at least a decade older than Self was when he started here.
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:07 pm Yeah, but you should see how well Case can coach in practice
Great post
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:31 pm When Self retires, they'll both be at least a decade older than Self was when he started here.
thanks...made me feel old
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:31 pm When Self retires, they'll both be at least a decade older than Self was when he started here.
Which shows how crazy spoiled we were to get him at like 40. Those coaches don't come around very often.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Spoiled means: Injured in character by excessive indulgence, lenience, or deference, especially in children.

We were lucky, or fortunate, or fortuitous.

None of us were harmed in our character by hiring of Self, nor were we food that became unfit for consumption as a result of decay.

NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:42 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:38 pmI remember posting once...maybe on the dotnet...that it felt like Scheyer was being groomed for the position.

I think it's probably a huuge mistake. But, not that surprising. It just FELT like that was the plan from a few years back.
In 90% of circumstances, I wouldn't be surprised.

But, this is thee blueblood basketball brand and they are passing on a guy that went to two championship games for a 33-year-old guy that hasn't been a head coach just to keep it in the family?

Are we OK in five-ish years if Bill demands that Jeremy Case take over our blueblood program, because that is kind of what UNC and Duke just did. Crazy.
I'd rather have that than the portion of the fanbase that is screaming "Bring back Danny" any chance they can. Promote a guy who has been in the staff meetings and seeing how a great program was being built and maintained. If keeping it in family is that big a deal, I'd take that over a guy just because he was a superstar when he played there.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Good subtweet of someone there ND.

Danny should not be in any major role at the University of Kansas.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

keeping it in family is NOT, and shouldn't be, a big deal.

Why would you ever want to hamstring your school by limiting the candidate pool size?

NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Agreed. I don't know where the whole idea started that it was supposed to be considered, but don't forget Self wasn't part of the family. If family was a factor, KU very well could have ended up with Cal.

But speaking of family, and Manning, maybe Self will pull Evan back from Gonzaga and groom him.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:24 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:42 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:38 pmI remember posting once...maybe on the dotnet...that it felt like Scheyer was being groomed for the position.

I think it's probably a huuge mistake. But, not that surprising. It just FELT like that was the plan from a few years back.
In 90% of circumstances, I wouldn't be surprised.

But, this is thee blueblood basketball brand and they are passing on a guy that went to two championship games for a 33-year-old guy that hasn't been a head coach just to keep it in the family?

Are we OK in five-ish years if Bill demands that Jeremy Case take over our blueblood program, because that is kind of what UNC and Duke just did. Crazy.
I'd rather have that than the portion of the fanbase that is screaming "Bring back Danny" any chance they can. Promote a guy who has been in the staff meetings and seeing how a great program was being built and maintained. If keeping it in family is that big a deal, I'd take that over a guy just because he was a superstar when he played there.
We don't disagree.

IMO, the "family" aspect should not be part of the hire, unless at the very most it is used as a tie-breaker between two equally top-preferred candidates.
Deleted User 880

Post by Deleted User 880 »

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:40 pm Agreed. I don't know where the whole idea started that it was supposed to be considered, but don't forget Self wasn't part of the family. If family was a factor, KU very well could have ended up with Cal.

But speaking of family, and Manning, maybe Self will pull Evan back from Gonzaga and groom him.
Speaking of guys who are sons of current and former KU coaches.....
Anyone know Niko Roberts was just hired to be the Associate Commissioner of Mens and Womens Basketball in the Mountain West? Me either. Until about 5 minutes ago.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Having connections to KU could be seen as a positive, but not having a KU connection should never be a disqualifier.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:40 pm Agreed. I don't know where the whole idea started that it was supposed to be considered, but don't forget Self wasn't part of the family. If family was a factor, KU very well could have ended up with Cal.

Self's previous time at Kansas played a decent sized role in him being the obvious #1 candidate for this job.

IIRC, Cal had too much NCAA muck on him at the time to be considered.