Afghanistan

Ugh.
Deleted User 863

Re: Afghanistan

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Why would he mention anyone other than Biden in this specific instance?

Biden is the guy in charge right now calling the shots.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:03 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:01 am
TraditionKU wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:57 am
yes

mich places all the blame at his feet, and you agreed

Biden didn’t get us into this 20 years ago, nor has been “in charge” over the past 20 years

does he deserve some blame? absolutely

it’s dumb to absolve everyone else of blame to score political points, which is exactly what much is trying to do

he does it every chance he gets

it’s incredibly transparent to anyone paying attention
Nobody absolved anyone of blame for the last 20 years.

We are talking about right now. Choices/decisions being made right now. Hard to blame Trump or Obama or Bush for the choices Biden has made now that he is in charge.
really?

go re-read mich’s two posts

no mention of anyone other than Biden

this was never going to end well, no matter when we pulled out or who was in office
This is true.

Also, Biden has been directly involved in 9 of those 20 years. He deserves as much blame as anyone. Plenty of blame to spread around.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

"All of this was foreseeable—all of it was foreseen. For months, members of Congress and advocates in refugee, veteran, and human-rights organizations have been urging the Biden administration to evacuate America’s Afghan allies on an emergency basis. For months, dire warnings have appeared in the press. The administration’s answers were never adequate: We’re waiting for Congress to streamline the application process. Half the interpreters we’ve given visas don’t want to leave. We don’t want to panic the Afghan people and cause the government in Kabul to collapse. Evacuation to a U.S. territory like Guam could lead to legal problems, so we’re looking for third-country hosts in the region. Most of the interpreters are in Kabul, and Kabul won’t fall for at least six months.

Some of these answers might have been sincere. All of them were irrelevant, self-deceiving, or flat-out false. While some officials in the State Department, the Pentagon, and the White House itself pushed quietly for more urgent measures that might have averted catastrophe, Biden resisted—as if he wouldn’t allow Afghanistan to interfere with his priorities, as if he were done with Afghanistan the minute he announced the withdrawal of all remaining U.S. forces. This hardness is perplexing in a president who spent years in the Senate working on behalf of genocide victims and war refugees; who once promised an Afghan schoolgirl that he would make sure the U.S. didn’t abandon her; who cares intensely about the welfare of American troops."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... my/619764/
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Is Biden going to speak about any of this? Maybe he did and I missed it?

Apparently Psaki is on vacation this week and not providing briefings or taking questions. Odd. According to yahoo

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo ... 00523.html
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:55 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:53 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:30 am Biden said a month or so ago this wasn't guaranteed to happen. He lied. They knew exactly what would happen.
Can you send me a link to that? I'd like to see the context around that alleged statement.
Google.com
Kinda hard to find a specific quote based off of your generic "Biden said a month or so ago this wasn't guaranteed to happen". That's too broad of a statement to actually be useful in finding the specific statement you might have seen.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:28 am Is Biden going to speak about any of this? Maybe he did and I missed it?

Apparently Psaki is on vacation this week and not providing briefings or taking questions. Odd. According to yahoo

I don't find it odd that people are taking vacations at the end of summer. She has two kids that are probably preschool age. Many families cram an end of the summer vacation in before school starts.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Trump got this ball rolling down the hill when he struck a deal with the Taliban to cut al-Qaida and promised to pull troops out on May 1st.

Biden delayed it to September 11th, but then moved it to end of August.

It was all inevitable.

Just falling under Biden's watch and how his administration has handled it all.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:28 am Is Biden going to speak about any of this? Maybe he did and I missed it?

CNN says he will speak at 3:45 EDT today.
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:37 am Trump got this ball rolling down the hill when he struck a deal with the Taliban to cut al-Qaida and promised to pull troops out on May 1st.

Biden delayed it to September 11th, but then moved it to end of August.

It was all inevitable.

Just falling under Biden's watch and how his administration has handled it all.
https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/n ... y-victory/

"If there was a critical turning point in the conflict, it was the peace deal signed under Trump: Without it, the Taliban would have struggled to isolate the Afghan military and set the conditions for its rapid advance on Kabul. Likewise, the deal signaled to regional actors that they needed to hedge their bets and start making provisions for the end of the Ghani regime in Afghanistan."

Biden was in a situation where he could either honor the formal agreement made with the Taliban by Trump or break the agreement and go to a full scale war against them. As with virtually everything else he touched, he left the US in a worse place than before he got there.
Last edited by twocoach on Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the buck stops here

uncle joe
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:54 am the buck stops here

uncle joe
The buck$.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:36 am

I don't find it odd that people are taking vacations at the end of summer. She has two kids that are probably preschool age. Many families cram an end of the summer vacation in before school starts.
When youre in a high level position vacations are secondary to a massive geopolitical disaster.

Remeber when that guy in texas went to cancun? Kcrim wasnt happy (rightfully so, i might add).
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the administration is is having a crisis of competence. afghanistan. fungus. border.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

TDub wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:06 am

When youre in a high level position vacations are secondary to a massive geopolitical disaster.

Remeber when that guy in texas went to cancun? Kcrim wasnt happy (rightfully so, i might add).
One person got on a plane as his constituents were getting pounded with a heavy storm that flooded large areas and made millions go without power and water.

The other is a spokesperson for a president who is able to talk to the country and can rely on others like those in the Pentagon to answer questions.

One abandoned the people who voted for him. The other won't be able to answer questions for 30 minutes on a significant issue halfway across the globe.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:16 am

One person got on a plane as his constituents were getting pounded with a heavy storm that flooded large areas and made millions go without power and water.

The other is a spokesperson for a president who is able to talk to the country and can rely on others like those in the Pentagon to answer questions.

One abandoned the people who voted for him. The other won't be able to answer questions for 30 minutes on a significant issue halfway across the globe.
Twist it to however makes you more comfortable. I know several people that arent the same after their time in Afghanistan and a couple that never came back. Its a significant issue with signficant impact at home as well as abroad.

We just airlifted our people off the roof of the embassy....its not something thats only happen to afghanis.....
Last edited by TDub on Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Yes, I remember when the Senatorial representative of the region being decimated by power outages and storm damage was faulted for escaping the issue with a trip to Cancun because his wife was sick of the hassle.

Psaki is a press secretary. She is not elected and she does not represent any citizens. Someone else can simply stand up in her absence and read a press briefing instead of her with zero negative impact. Comparing the two is silly.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:12 am the administration is is having a crisis of competence. afghanistan. fungus. border.
:lol:

that’s a compliment coming from you
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:18 am

Twist it to however makes you more comfortable. I know several people that arent the same after their time in Afghanistan and a couple that never came back. Its a significant issue with signficant impact at home as well as abroad.
And Jen Psaki has zero impact on any of the people in Afghanistan. Her absence changes nothing. She is just a press secretary.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:19 am
TDub wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:18 am

And Jen Psaki has zero impact on any of the people in Afghanistan. Her absence changes nothing. She is just a press secretary.
She speaks for the white house.

Oh i forgot. You guys never said a word about Mchenany or whatever her name is
Just Ledoux it