FUCK ESPN

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: FUCK ESPN

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:56 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:33 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:33 am

Fans of other teams don't have coach K retiring. It was a special occasion.

If they moved our game to a different channel then I would have been pissed.
But what did the split screen accomplish. You couldn't hear anything going on at Cameron, dook fans could just see K standing there with no sound. And we had to try to watch on a tiny screen. So neither fan base got any benefit out of the deal. It hurt everyone watching regardless of the reason.

And I've complained about ESPN's start times anyway. Basketball games last like 2 hours and 10 minutes on average and yet ESPN always has them start at :00 or :05 after the hour at the LATEST. This always happens. Why not have the games start 2.5 hours apart so you can see the games in their entirety. You've got a studio crew to talk about shit for 15 minutes if the game isn't late. I want to see the tipoff, I want to see the starting lineups, I want to know who's injured and not playing and why the coaches are wearing pink shoes. I hate joining a game with 13:43 left int he first half and not knowing why or how the score got to be 14-12

AND their app isn't that reliable, so scrambling around for the remote, to change inputs, to open Espn, which often makes you re-login, and then scrolling through their awful interface searching for your game sucks. It's a shitty experience. They run a business, they should want their product to be enjoyable and not a pain in the ass.
Yeah, the two hour times lots are maddening. You would think after 20+ years of experience ESPN could figure this out
They realize it, they just want to squeeze in as many games as possible.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Sparko wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:46 pm I am loving the lectures on the this fan board. LEAVE ESPN ALONE! Jeebus Crisco.
Yeah, it's great, but helps to understand that the gutter/illy twins are not here to discuss KU sports with KU fans.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:33 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:33 am
KUTradition wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:29 am
i was

my gripe is that the split screen seems to hardly ever get used

fans of other teams are forced to go to espn+ when the first games go long, even when the early games are blow-outs
Fans of other teams don't have coach K retiring. It was a special occasion.

If they moved our game to a different channel then I would have been pissed.
But what did the split screen accomplish. You couldn't hear anything going on at Cameron, dook fans could just see K standing there with no sound. And we had to try to watch on a tiny screen. So neither fan base got any benefit out of the deal. It hurt everyone watching regardless of the reason.

And I've complained about ESPN's start times anyway. Basketball games last like 2 hours and 10 minutes on average and yet ESPN always has them start at :00 or :05 after the hour at the LATEST. This always happens. Why not have the games start 2.5 hours apart so you can see the games in their entirety. You've got a studio crew to talk about shit for 15 minutes if the game isn't late. I want to see the tipoff, I want to see the starting lineups, I want to know who's injured and not playing and why the coaches are wearing pink shoes. I hate joining a game with 13:43 left int he first half and not knowing why or how the score got to be 14-12

AND their app isn't that reliable, so scrambling around for the remote, to change inputs, to open Espn, which often makes you re-login, and then scrolling through their awful interface searching for your game sucks. It's a shitty experience. They run a business, they should want their product to be enjoyable and not a pain in the ass.
You would think that, if anything, planning on a short (under 0:30) studio show would be a good thing for the network. Brand it, sell it. Ensure that your advertisers can count on getting the full value of the first under-16:00.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:00 am
ChalkRocker wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:39 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:55 pm

I couldn't even think about watching that.
You were wise. It was patently self-indulgent, fawning and conceited.

imo
Yeah, it was awful. I actually watched the entire ceremony solely because I was hopeful that K would finally show some class for the first time in his life.

Nope. Total drama queen to the end.
It is wild to me that K is likely to finish with two (2) Final Fours, and three (3) regular season conference titles, in the last eighteen (18) years of his illustrious and iconic career.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:52 am
Cascadia wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:00 am
ChalkRocker wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:39 pm

You were wise. It was patently self-indulgent, fawning and conceited.

imo
Yeah, it was awful. I actually watched the entire ceremony solely because I was hopeful that K would finally show some class for the first time in his life.

Nope. Total drama queen to the end.
It is wild to me that K is likely to finish with two (2) Final Fours, and three (3) regular season conference titles, in the last eighteen (18) years of his illustrious and iconic career.
...but he's been winning the recruiting wars and everyone knows that's all the matters now.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:39 am
Sparko wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:46 pm I am loving the lectures on the this fan board. LEAVE ESPN ALONE! Jeebus Crisco.
Yeah, it's great, but helps to understand that the gutter/illy twins are not here to discuss KU sports with KU fans.
Dumb.

All because I wasn't outraged about split screen? Jeebus Crisco indeed.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Oh, cripes. Illy pegging the gutter meter. Over and over.

He just can't shut up.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:06 am
Dumb.

Being outraged because the broadcast was uninterrupted, and could still be heard, is indeed dumb. Never thought I would be on team Illy, lol.

Wonder what people truly feel about the camera being on the sideline reporter for few seconds after a commercial and they don't get to see the ball being dribbled up the backcourt.
Deleted User 863

NDballer13 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:22 am

Dumb.

Being outraged because the broadcast was uninterrupted, and could still be heard, is indeed dumb. Never thought I would be on team Illy, lol.

Wonder what people truly feel about the camera being on the sideline reporter for few seconds after a commercial and they don't get to see the ball being dribbled up the backcourt.
K/Duke make people a little wonky. I get it. I dislike them as well.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Dumb.

I don't know, I found it ridiculous that they'd split screen during the action of a close and late (and meaningful) game, for long blocks of time, to show pregame festivities at an upcoming game.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:28 am

Dumb.

I don't know, I found it ridiculous that they'd split screen during the action of a close and late (and meaningful) game, for long blocks of time, to show pregame festivities at an upcoming game.
Put me on that boat as well.
The Duke game hadn't even started.
We were still playing, in a close game with only minutes left, against a ranked team, on senior night, for the B12 title.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Biggest gripe for me was the length of the split screen. Egregious, annoying, predictable.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Agree with both of you. Totally get using a short split screen (in a break in the action) to call attention to the availability of ESPNews/ESPN+ for folks tuning in to catch the K stuff. Fine!

But to stay on it was preposterous.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Have a graphic or ticker.
Or a corner video, like 1/10th of the screen.
Splitting the screen in half - thus wasting away a huge percentage of visibility because you are halving 16:9 aspect ratios and then centering them vertically - was moranic.

Made me livid.
Buddy, brother and I were screaming at the TV.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The Whole World Got Together To Watch Coach K Eat Shit

https://defector.com/the-whole-world-go ... -eat-shit/
On Saturday night, Mike Krzyzewski, the guy who has been the head coach of the Duke men’s basketball program for something like 2,000 years, coached the final home game of his career. The game, which put No. 4 Duke against their historic arch rivals, an unranked UNC team, was set up perfectly for the 75-year-old coach to punctuate all the pomp that preceded the game with a decisive victory. The pregame worship went off without a hitch, but then Duke went out there and got their damn asses kicked off, 94-81. And to that we can all say: Ha! Hahahah!

[...]

“For you guys to show up today, for me and my family, means the world to me,” Krzyzewski said to his former players. “We didn’t play well, and there are times when you didn’t either.”

It was at this moment that it occurred to me that losing to UNC in humiliating fashion on his home floor was actually the best sendoff Krzyzewski could have asked for. Here was a pious tyrant, who has remained maximally petty, self-righteous, and ill-tempered despite enjoying one of the most blessed existences in human history, fully in his element. What more could a man like that ask for, than to be presented with one last opportunity to address the people who are solely responsible for the obscene amounts of wealth that he has amassed throughout his career, and remind them of all the moments in which they disappointed him? If I thought he were even capable of feeling joy, I’d say that Krzyzewski’s heart must have swelled.

At some point after Krzyzewski’s long sendoff, reporters got around to asking the Duke players how they had felt about witnessing their coach’s big day. Wendell Moore Jr. perhaps answered a little too honestly: “It was a big moment, actually a huge moment this week. I felt like we kind of got lost in everything.”

And there’s yet another way in which Krzyzewski’s final home game couldn’t have unfolded in more fitting fashion. Of course the players, the people who actually make this lucrative sport what it is and receive nothing in return, are an after thought. What is college basketball if not one long, constant ceremony dedicated to the glorification of a crusty class of wannabe generals who will never admit where their privilege actually comes from?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"What is college basketball if not one long, constant ceremony dedicated to the glorification of a crusty class of wannabe generals who will never admit where their privilege actually comes from?"

Meh on this in general.
On point with "maximally petty, self-righteous, and ill-tempered" Coach K.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

How can anyone anyone like these douches?

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/150085 ... ytBRqfKBdg

“Duke won that first game against Carolina—folks inside the program bristled that the Tar Heels didn’t honor Krzyzewski during the game—and then turned around and lost to Virginia, a well-coached team that gives Duke fits.”
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Imagine if we were upset that ksu didn't honor Self in his final game in the octagon.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:04 pm "What is college basketball if not one long, constant ceremony dedicated to the glorification of a crusty class of wannabe generals who will never admit where their privilege actually comes from?"

Meh on this in general.
On point with "maximally petty, self-righteous, and ill-tempered" Coach K.
There's a not-entirely-wrong analysis that the salad days of K's career ended with the rise of one-and-dones (and that K's death sentence was adopting the strategy for himself).

And now he's picking up his ball and going home.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:28 am

Dumb.

I'm not saying it was a good idea, or even really defending it. I'm just agreeing with Illy that getting outraged, or even a tiny bit upset about it, is equally ridiculous. Not one second of game action was missed, so what did it hurt?