Kansas Basketball.
NDballer13

Re: 22-23 Non-con Schedule

Post by NDballer13 »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There's an asterisk by a lot of those games for me though.
Empty AFH early on that season.
Glorified practice.

Still, yea, NDSU has been decent.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Agreed. I love Self's reasoning for scheduling teams like this though. Every team does a bunch of buy games, but there's at least thought that goes into KU's schedule. They look for teams projected to be those early round tourney games. Not just any directional school that will answer the phone. There's a ton of worse options than NDSU for a random Wednesday night in December.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Is that the game replacing Gonzaga?
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I doubt there's one game that is specifically the replacement. Pretty sure this is just a typical schedule filler.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

TDub wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:44 pm why did we drop the zags?
Reading the tea leaves: working for the BiG invite. Sounds like a favor.
Deleted User 863

Sparko wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:00 pm
How are those two things remotely related?

Also, we may still end up playing them in Maui iirc.

Gonzaga recently added a game with Baylor for next season it looks like...
https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/sports/c ... c1694.html

"In March of 2020, Gonzaga agreed to a home-and-home series with the University of Kansas, sending the Bulldogs to Lawrence this December and the Jayhawks to Spokane the following season. Given Gonzaga's other nonconference arrangements, and the fact the Bulldogs and Jayhawks are part of the same field at the 2023 Maui Invitational, it's unclear if the home-and-home will be shifted to a later date."

Looks like it is mostly to avoid potentially playing us twice in their non con due to both teams being in Maui.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:19 pm

"In March of 2020, Gonzaga agreed to a home-and-home series with the University of Kansas, sending the Bulldogs to Lawrence this December and the Jayhawks to Spokane the following season. Given Gonzaga's other nonconference arrangements, and the fact the Bulldogs and Jayhawks are part of the same field at the 2023 Maui Invitational, it's unclear if the home-and-home will be shifted to a later date."

Looks like it is mostly to avoid potentially playing us twice in their non con due to both teams being in Maui.
Gosh! I don' t know. Maybe trying to push up the profile of one the BiG's diminished dynasties? Should have scheduled Vanderbilt I guess.
Deleted User 863

Sparko wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:22 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:19 pm

Gosh! I don' t know. Maybe trying to push up the profile of one the BiG's diminished dynasties? Should have scheduled Vanderbilt I guess.
Ahhh, talking about adding Indiana. Sorry.

Looks like the Indiana game was scheduled before the Gonzaga game was postponed, so doubt the two are related even if your theory on why we scheduled Indiana has some truth to it.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indiana ... mber-2022/

Still seems like that might be a bit of a stretch (since most of the conference movement centers around football), but can't hurt our cause by improving relations with the Big10. Although beating their ass probably wouldn't make them want to experience that once or more a year.

The article I posted speculates it (the delaying of playing in Spokane) was to avoid the possibility of playing Gonzaga twice next season. I am assuming Gonzaga also had to agree (or request) to postpone the return game of the home and home series?

I'd still rather play Gonzaga over Indiana next year (and any year for that matter since Gonzaga is a far superior program currently). Maybe we will get to beat both next year. Gonzaga getting Timme back will make them a top team again.

Gonzaga plays an insanely tough schedule next year it looks like. They are probably happy to not have the chance of having to play us twice with all the other good teams they'll have to face.

But happy to have filled the hole with Indiana rather than Vanderbilt, that's for sure. If for no other reason than I hate Vanderbilt's weird raised court with benches behind the baskets.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We’re getting worked up over a directional Dakota buy-game?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:52 am We’re getting worked up over a directional Dakota buy-game?
Nah--just conference reorganizations. Nothing of significance. ; )

I will say KU playing Indiana again helps Indiana immensely.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:52 am We’re getting worked up over a directional Dakota buy-game?
Just don’t find these games fun to watch or meaningful for analysis. I get why we play them, and that will not change, but I still find them boring.
Last edited by Cascadia on Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

hes the directional Dakota state of posters.
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Sparko wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:31 am
I will say KU playing Indiana again helps Indiana immensely.
Which is great. All for getting the traditional powers back to relevancy. Agree that KU can help there.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:39 am
Just don’t find these games fun to watch or meaningful for analysis. I get why we play them, and that will not change, but I still find them boring.
I get it, I just think the NDSU game deserves the same non-reaction that the Southern Utah game received.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

As ND pointed out, we were trailing NDState at home with just over a minute just a couple years ago.

These aren’t great teams but they are good. They are teams that could make the tourney.

And this team might be playing a lot of younger dudes so you want tests at this level early.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I always find it funny how many people bitch about scheduling teams like Tarleton State and NDSU in December and say they wish the schedule was full of Power 5 teams, then come February have a meltdown and bitch about not being able to develop new/young guys in the non-con.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NDballer13 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:50 am I always find it funny how many people bitch about scheduling teams like Tarleton State and NDSU in December and say they wish the schedule was full of Power 5 teams, then come February have a meltdown and bitch about not being able to develop new/young guys in the non-con.
This. Some people just bitch about things and don't realizing that one thing they are bitching about conflicts with another thing they are bitching about. I am glad we schedule games like this so that the young guys and role players can get some minutes against decent teams just in case we need them for a minute or two in the first few rounds of the NCAA tourney.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

For the record, I've never once bitched about "not being able to develop new/young guys"