Nba draft/offseason

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: Nba draft/offseason

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I asked my 5yr old...he said "he's good at shooting 3s".
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:09 am are these folks at the mall that are getting asked?

just curious
Im going to ask Mich to assist with the research....so....yes?
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:23 am 100 random school age kids?
I'd bet a good 30%-40% would say, 'play basketball?'.
uh huh, ok....so may need a follow up question then. 2 part poll.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:47 am I asked my 5yr old...he said "he's good at shooting 3s".
No comment.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

FTR, I would say that about Curry even if he wasn’t on a home area team. He’s a once in a generation player like Magic, Bird, Chamberlain, Abdul-Jabbar, Jordan and LeBron.

He has great basketball skills, and 3-point shooting is the most obvious of those. The transformation he has brought to the game is that many teams now put the 3-point shot as a prominent weapon while before it was just another play due to the lower percentage of success. Harden is the one who comes closest to Curry in that area
Last edited by zsn on Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Popovich and even D'Antoni were using the analytics of ball movement and 3 point shot offense before Curry hit the league. Curry is great, like a better shooting Steve Nash, which is absurd. The GOAT talk is just way out there, and it's a little bit of chicken and egg when it comes to the game changing. It was already headed that way, and perhaps Curry benefited from being in this era rather than one where handchecking was allowed.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The golden goose hatched in Golden State. Curry's prolific output even marginalizes defense. I have always believed shooting was the key metric. Then everything else. Curry can't even be accounted for many times.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

zsn wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:21 am FTR, I would say that about Curry even if he wasn’t on a home area team. He’s a once in a generation player like Magic, Bird, Chamberlain, Abdul-Jabbar, Jordan and LeBron.

He has great basketball skills, and 3-point shooting is the most obvious of those. The transformation he has brought to the game is that many teams now put the 3-point shot as a prominent weapon while before it was just another play due to the lower percentage of success. Harden is the one who comes closest to Curry in that area
I, personally, don't associate Harden as much in the category of players who use the 3 point shot as a prominent weapon. He shot a lot of them, but wasn't exactly an elite 3 point shooter. If I were to say Harden did anything to change the game, he was the one who first started to manipulate the refs to award free throws.

Ten years ago Ryan Anderson led the league with 2.7 made threes per game. 2.7 ranked 27th this year. It's crazy how fast the game changed, regardless of who you want to give the credit to.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

that’s nuts
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Of the Top 30 all time 3 pointers made list, 13 are active. Redick and JR Smith recently retired, or there would be 15 of Top 30.

Damian Lillard has only played 10 years in the league, missed most of 2022, and ranks #9 all time in 3PM.

Kyle Lowry is 15th all time in 3PM.

Wesley Matthews is 23rd all time in 3PM.

Marcus Morris is 101st all time in 3PM.

Statistically, James Harden will go down as one of the most prolific scorers in NBA history. He is currently 3rd all time in 3PM.

It's time for rule changes.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

“It's time for rule changes.”

such as?

are you advocating moving the line back more, or something else?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

4 point line!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I agree with rule changes -- or a reversal of them.
The sweet spot of contact allowed was in the late 90s/early 2000s.
Get it back to there.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:47 am I asked my 5yr old...he said "he's good at shooting 3s".
Now ask him if he thinks Riley Curry is hot. :?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:01 am “It's time for rule changes.”

such as?

are you advocating moving the line back more, or something else?
The corner 3 is really problematic, but I'm not sure how you change that other than widening the court or just making it count as 2--the latter I'm not a big fan of.

Move the line back where you can, stop giving so much star treatment on fouls, open the lane back up for big men to be an offensive factor. Those might be starts, but there are certainly smarter people than me out there that can come up with something.

I don't think NBA is as fun as it used to be, and some of that might be season structure. Too many nights off for stars that leads to mediocre defense in the regular season. I've said before I'm a huge proponent of the in-season tournament in NBA.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

“Move the line back where you can, stop giving so much star treatment on fouls, open the lane back up for big men to be an offensive factor.”

agreed, but good luck on the star treatment issue
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't expect people to agree with me but the 3 point line was (and still is) a gimmick. Almost as bad as the DH in Baseball. Definitely not as bad as the new extra inning format.

Worthless(?) stat/fact...

From what I just read, Steve Kerr has the best career 3 point shooting % in league history.
Hubert Davis is 2nd. Of course, defenses didn't key on them.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:17 am I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't expect people to agree with me but the 3 point line was (and still is) a gimmick. Almost as bad as the DH in Baseball. Definitely not as bad as the new extra inning format.

Worthless(?) stat/fact...

From what I just read, Steve Kerr has the best career 3 point shooting % in league history.
Hubert Davis is 2nd. Of course, defenses didn't key on them.
On the other hand, it should be easier to stop someone who's only good at one thing.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

One rule I've never understood, if you're allowed to dunk, why is offensive goaltending a thing?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:27 pm Here is a hottake. Curry has dominated and changed the game as much if not more than lebron james has
Steph Curry's first season was in 2009-2010.

The NBA has been continuing to increase their average 3 point attempts per day at about a rate of 5.8% per season on average since Steph came into the league. Jumps like that started in about 2002, when it raised 7.2% with it jumping another 6% in 05, 5.6% in 07 and 7.1% in 08. For comparison, the NBA 3 point attempts per game increased by an average of 17% per season from 1985-1997.

These changes aren't due to Steph Curry. He has helped to prove that the analytics of the three being more valuable are accurate but those changes started well prior to Curry.

https://towardsdatascience.com/nba-data ... ad59d1f116

Here's another interesting article that pretty much anchors the start of today's three point revolution to D'Antoni's "seven seconds or less" system.

https://www.nbastuffer.com/analytics101 ... t/#utilize