The Travel Thread

Coffee talk.
Soklous

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by Soklous »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:53 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:44 pm If you want a super unique and inexpensive experience, take the Staten Island Ferry to catch a Staten Island Yankees ( they may be gone in a year or two which would be sad ) game.

It's ballpark overlooks lower Manhattan, you get great seats, cheap brews and food.
Similarly you could go to Coney Island in Brooklyn, if you like roller coasters and stuff, then go to a brooklyn cyclones game.

My friends kid, we went to see before the 4th...

I thought it was one of the best venues I could dream up. All the action Coney Island going on. They also easily have the best fan giveaways I’ve ever seen. From Grateful Dead Cyclones hats, to Fusilli Jerry figures.

https://twitter.com/jacob_resnick/statu ... 23904?s=21
Last edited by Soklous on Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am, I said.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Taxis are good for when you're just tired of walking.
But i'd force yourself to use the public transit as much as possible - it's just exciting and interesting and often times faster ( and far cheaper ) than a cab.

And another reason, if it's a get away with the wife, you pick NYC over DC b/c NYC is overwhelmingly more 'romantic' because of the night life.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I've been to both.
I prefer the view in Staten Island - and they have all the same things ( fireworks, give aways ) as the Cyclones.
Can't go wrong at either spot - just something about minor league ball.

https://twitter.com/CAWahoos/status/1007773685262897152
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Is that the Italian flag in the outfield? I knew that Staten Island had a lot of Italians, but enough to have the NY flag, US flag and the Italian flag??
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:53 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:44 pm If you want a super unique and inexpensive experience, take the Staten Island Ferry to catch a Staten Island Yankees ( they may be gone in a year or two which would be sad ) game.

It's ballpark overlooks lower Manhattan, you get great seats, cheap brews and food.
Similarly you could go to Coney Island in Brooklyn, if you like roller coasters and stuff, then go to a brooklyn cyclones game.
Plus you get to see this guy.

Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:20 pm DC is, without question, the more cost-effective of the two. You can find a nice-enough hotel near everything, including Metro, for about $100/day -- less if you're willing to stay in a Pod (https://www.thepodhotel.com/pod-dc/?gcl ... PxEALw_wcB). Plus, everything (or nearly everything) is free -- courtesy of the American taxpayer.

Two things to think about, though: Some of the things you'll want to see (e.g. Mount Vernon) will be nowhere near public transportation. And more to the point, DC is a reclaimed swamp and July is fucking miserably hot and humid. Ideal time to visit is April.
cherry blossoms
Deleted User 89

no mention of Boston?

i’ve not been, but it’s probably higher on my bucket list than anywhere that’s been mentioned, even NYC
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Thought about Boston, but just doesn't seem like a destination type of spot compared to others.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 295

Post by Deleted User 295 »

I've only been to DC once, but I enjoyed it. Found a lot of really good food spots.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I didn't mention Boston because it wasn't on his list.
It has the revolutionary history and of all the spots, probably has the best weather in the summer, but i'd put NYC and DC above it on the checklist.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:51 am Thought about Boston, but just doesn't seem like a destination type of spot compared to others.
Fenway and food has Boston above DC on my list. Weather is better in July as well.

As far as history, pretty close, really. Boston has relics, DC has museums.

Whichever way, you're going to have a great time with the list you provided.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Walking the freedom trail is very unique and makes all the things you learned in American history in school become more real. North end has better Italian food than NYC's Little Italy ( which isn't nearly as much of a compliment as it should be ).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I find that a lot of cities' food staples end up being over-hyped. Like Mexican food in Austin (which I like), deep dish in Chicago (which I like), Primanti Bros in Pittsburgh (which I like), Memphis and West Texas BBQ (which I like), etc.

But, the seafood/italian combination in Boston lived up to the hype. Kinda like KC BBQ or the vast options available in New York.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Feral wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:12 pm In my limited experience it was much better to use taxis than Uber or Lyft in NYC.

I don't know if that's representative or not.
Yes. The buildings fuck with the GPS so much that you end up with lots of cancellations etc. Much easier and reliable to just get in a cab.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:35 am
Feral wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:12 pm In my limited experience it was much better to use taxis than Uber or Lyft in NYC.

I don't know if that's representative or not.
Yes. The buildings fuck with the GPS so much that you end up with lots of cancellations etc. Much easier and reliable to just get in a cab.
For manhattan.

In brooklyn Uber is better than cabs, my guess is that's true in the other boroughs as well
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CityPass in NYC worth it?

$135 for 6 attractions over a trip seems pretty worth it.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Empire State Building: 20 bucks.
Natural History Museum: 23 bucks ***
The Met: 25 bucks

Top of the Rock - if you're doing the Empire State, you don't need to do this.
Guggenheim - it's a super interesting building, the way you see the art work--you just move up one long circular ramp -- but it's modern art so it depends on if you're into that - 16 bucks.

Ferry Access to Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island - Ellis island was super underwhelming but there's that feeling of history there. They'll charge you to try and find a relatives name. As far as Statue of Liberty, kinda meh too -- as mentioned earlier, just take the FREE Staten Island Ferry, it goes right past the Statue of Liberty both ways.

Circle Line Cruise - OK, you could do this ( could be romantic I suppose -- i'd rather walk the blocks of NYC on a nice summer night though ) - 18 bucks.

9/11 Memorial & Museum - I would suggest this - 24 bucks.

20+23+25+18+24+16* = 126 bucks.
Not sure where they are getting their prices in their comparison chart -- maybe these are 'upgraded' packages but the standard costs you're loosing out ( but likely gaining time by not going through admissions lines or ordering everything individually online ).

*** The museum, unlike the Met that stopped doing this a couple years back, is actually pay as you wish -- but if you aren't a New Yorker, you should pay full admission.

* If you're into modern art

If it were me, i'd buy a couple of those in advance but wouldn't force myself into all of them because then you might feel rushed/can't be spontaneous.

I'd would say you need to go to either of the Met or Natural History ( if not both ), Empire State Building ( if you aren't scared of heights ) and 9/11 Memorial.

The other stuff is fine but you'd probably be better off exploring the city in that time.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

If you opt for DC, do Lincoln, Jefferson, war memorials at night. No crowds, no traffic, and viewed as intended.
Deleted User 89

the smithsonian complex of museums is pretty fantastic

holocaust museum is a must

and if you’re into oddities, there’s a medical museum in DC that has some of the most bizarre things i’ve ever seen...one that sticks out in my memory was a hair ball from a teenage girl that had an ocd hair chewing issue for years. when the hair ball was removed, it was so compacted in her stomach that it was actually in the shape of her stomach (and is still in that shape on display, or at least was when i visited in the mid ‘90’s)
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Mount Vernon pretty much a must too, IMO. Like noted previously, it’s not really close to DC from a mass transit stance, but take an Uber, have driver take GW parkway. Or drive your rental that way, or better yet, if in decent shape, rent bikes and take the bike trail. It’s phenomenal.

Along same lines, if you are oh there, and it’s no somewhere you are going to go often, rent a car for a day if you don’t have one, and drive up to Gettysburg. It’s 90 min or so from DC.