Conference Realignment..?

Kansas Football.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:06 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:01 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:55 am Are we all in agreement that, should there be a B1G offer on the table, we accept it and leave tomorrow, and sort out the details later?
And pay the 75 to 80 million dollar penalty?
Zero hesitation.
I don't even care if we get 50% payouts for the first 5 years. Take the offer and run.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:54 am
pdub wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:42 am "NIL isn't going to change the landscape of college sports."

Two weeks later.
Goodness. Your brain is broken on this one.
He's not wrong
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

God i hate the big 10. Ugh.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:35 am
pdub wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:42 am "NIL isn't going to change the landscape of college sports."

Two weeks later.
He's not wrong
He is not wrong that NIL happened two weeks ago, and also now realignment is happening again.

Also, I ate a cheeseburger for lunch two weeks ago, and also now realignment is happening again.

NIL didn't cause this. Instead, what caused NIL is what's causing this.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Two weeks later.
He's not wrong
NIL had nothing to do with this. Schools losing massive amounts of money due to the pandemic is what drove the urgency on this.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:43 am

He's not wrong
He is not wrong that NIL happened two weeks ago, and also now realignment is happening again.

Also, I ate a cheeseburger for lunch two weeks ago, and also now realignment is happening again.
Thousands have died every day since the COVID vaccine was first administered.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:45 am

He's not wrong
NIL had nothing to do with this. Schools losing massive amounts of money due to the pandemic is what drove the urgency on this.
Not sure I 100% agree - I think the SEC/UT/OU sense that the NCAA is so feckless and inept and antiquated and so on, that now was the time to strike. I do think this is the first step in power schools disassociating from the NCAA, at least in football.

I'm not saying that's a good thing, or that I personally like it. I'm saying that's what this is.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

I agree with this. Also, conference realignment wasn't finished 6 or so years ago. It was just tabled for awhile. At that time the talk was for 4 16 team conferences. I like the idea for deciding a football championship, take the 4 conference champs and let them play it out.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

nu_bronco wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:50 am
I agree with this. Also, conference realignment wasn't finished 6 or so years ago. It was just tabled for awhile. At that time the talk was for 4 16 team conferences. I like the idea for deciding a football championship, take the 4 conference champs and let them play it out.
It is insane to me that the Big 12 was caught with its pants down here. I am not optimistic we (KU) had a contingency plan, either, given Long's clear ineptitude and the recent AD transition.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

With the SEC now having so many powers, no chance they agree to only have 1 of their teams make the playoffs. More likely it'll be 2 or 3 SEC teams and the best 1 or 2 teams from the rest of the conferences in the playoffs if we stay at 4 teams. 8 teams seems harder to pull off because it'll take a long time.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:53 am
It is insane to me that the Big 12 was caught with its pants down here. I am not optimistic we (KU) had a contingency plan, either, given Long's clear ineptitude and the recent AD transition.
Bowlsby and the Little 8 look foolish.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It is just telling to me that the schools, presidents, bureaucrats, donors, etc. will sneak around and throw away a century's worth of tradition and partnership in a heartbeat for extra millions.

But, the players are assholes to ask for a little cut.
JayhawkInIowa726

Post by JayhawkInIowa726 »

I still can't believe we thought we were good staying at 10 instead of finding at least a couple free agent schools to add to our membership.

Louisville, Cincy, Arkansas..... Anybody.

Why were we the losers waiting for this to happen since the last time it happened? We were already big losers seeing Neb, Colo, Misery and A&M walk out the door for WVU and TCU...
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:53 am
Yes, so much short sightedness. Staying at 10 was a bad idea. Long was here only to try and get football better. I think he helped some there but not to the level anyone wanted/expected. New AD has been extremely busy. I hope he is finding a good stable home for KU Athletics.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

JayhawkInIowa726 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:59 am I still can't believe we thought we were good staying at 10 instead of finding at least a couple free agent schools to add to our membership.

Why were we the losers waiting for this to happen since the last time it happened? We were already big losers seeing Neb, Colo, Misery and A&M walk out the door for WVU and TCU...
I don't know that the Villes and Cincy's of the world would have changed anything stability wise.

But, I do really that a big selling point was that dividing by 10 rather than 12 meant more money for each school. Really dumb to seek comfort in that.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think the discussions were there but the supreme court ruling set the fire to ignite it all.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JayhawkInIowa726 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:59 am I still can't believe we thought we were good staying at 10 instead of finding at least a couple free agent schools to add to our membership.

Count me in the group that would take a B1G or even Pac 12 invite today. I know this isn't what you were saying (so not directed at you), but the path through here is not to stay in a watered down Big 12. That's just an invitation for this happen again, just potentially with the B1G and/or Pac 12 having picked up alternatives to us.

We are right on the superconference cut line. We might be the power conference cut line. If there's a home for us, we've got to go.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Also, a reminder that the first school to get all butthurt was mizzou, of course, when they flirted with the Big 10 b/c of mean ol' Texas.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:03 am I think the discussions were there but the supreme court ruling set the fire to ignite it all.
But of course NIL (or other compensation) was always where things were headed. It was inevitable. The NCAA had a chance to get in front of it, to shape it, but instead it let change be imposed on it. And, chaos.

Same thing with this. There was a chance to shape all of this, but instead the NCAA was fine with an environment was this was inevitable.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He's not wrong
In my opinion, this is an ignorant statement - kind of a head in the sand statement.
Emmert just a week or two came out and kind of said, "welp, good luck everyone."
And then OU and UT announce.

It's not coincidence.