serve and protect

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: serve and protect

Post by ousdahl »

remember the Denver cops who shot up the crowded street outside a bar?

would you have guessed they opened fire cuz the suspect tossed his gun away and put his hands up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJuF8UQuNm4
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Honestly, yeah, I would have. Pretty clear that the cops could have avoided that shooting entirely but poorly trained, undisciplined officers once again err on the side of "shoot first, evaluate later" in pulling a trigger too quickly.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Can’t wait to read the Back the Blue crowds response to this! He did have a warrant, so #justified. Amirite?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:25 pm Can’t wait to read the Back the Blue crowds response to this! He did have a warrant, so #justified. Amirite?
Lobster alert!

Actually I think the last one is Qusdahl

https://twitter.com/snipersuprange/stat ... KExHLjljMQ

https://twitter.com/leoknowsbetter/stat ... KExHLjljMQ

https://twitter.com/taotdev/status/1565 ... KExHLjljMQ
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Haven't seen much support from the "back the blue" "crowd"....hmmm.....
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I'm not backing the blue for shooting him but let's be honest here, if the guy didn't have the warrant for domestic violence, assault, (his girlfriend who he abused/assaulted multiple times was pregnant), and improper handling of a firearm, he wouldn't have been shot in his bed by the police that morning.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:22 pm I'm not backing the blue for shooting him but let's be honest here, if the guy didn't have the warrant for domestic violence, assault, (his girlfriend who he abused/assaulted multiple times was pregnant), and improper handling of a firearm, he wouldn't have been shot in his bed by the police that morning.
Guilty until proven innocent?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Overlander wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:33 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:22 pm I'm not backing the blue for shooting him but let's be honest here, if the guy didn't have the warrant for domestic violence, assault, (his girlfriend who he abused/assaulted multiple times was pregnant), and improper handling of a firearm, he wouldn't have been shot in his bed by the police that morning.
People with warrants deserve to die, bro!
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Overlander wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:33 pm
Actually that's a complicated question for me to answer. You're a much wiser person than I am when it comes to the police and law enforcement so maybe you can help me figure it out.
Someone must have felt he was guilty of something if they issued a warrant and the police served it at 2:00am.
I like to think the answer to your question is no but it's hardly as simple as innocent until proven guilty in this country. I say that asking, why do we apprehend people and put people in jail while they are awaiting trial if they are supposed to be presumed innocent? So perhaps it really is guilty until proven innocent?
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

A friend of mine who is now an Omaha police officer was involved in an officer-involved shooting a week or so ago. She and her partner were serving a warrant and the guy answered the door with a shotgun in his hands. When ordered to drop the weapon, he raised the shotgun and aimed it at the officer, at which time the officer fired once and killed the guy.

https://www.3newsnow.com/news/local-new ... d-shooting

From everything that has been released, including the body camera video and a transcript of the incident, it appears that she followed all protocols and that the shooting was 100% justified. My heart goes out to her as regardless of the circumstances, you just ended a person's life and that can stick with you mentally forever. I hope she is OK.

This is the exact scenario that I feared for her when i heard she was joining the police force as I have always know her to be a rather meek individual. I was concerned that if faced with this scenario that it would not end well for her but it appears that her training was up to the task and she survived the incident with no injuries.

What a nightmare. Not the job for me. I hope she is OK.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Yeah, I'm not sure I could do it. I hope she's doing well.
Defense. Rebounds.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

twocoach wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:45 am A friend of mine who is now an Omaha police officer was involved in an officer-involved shooting a week or so ago. She and her partner were serving a warrant and the guy answered the door with a shotgun in his hands. When ordered to drop the weapon, he raised the shotgun and aimed it at the officer, at which time the officer fired once and killed the guy.

From everything that has been released, including the body camera video and a transcript of the incident, it appears that she followed all protocols and that the shooting was 100% justified. My heart goes out to her as regardless of the circumstances, you just ended a person's life and that can stick with you mentally forever. I hope she is OK.

This is the exact scenario that I feared for her when i heard she was joining the police force as I have always know her to be a rather meek individual. I was concerned that if faced with this scenario that it would not end well for her but it appears that her training was up to the task and she survived the incident with no injuries.

Sorry to hear/read this. Easy for some people the outside to say what we feel someone should and shouldn't do in situations we have never faced.
Questions I have is at what point is it determined your life is in danger? I would say the second he held the gun up there was a threat to her life but how and when does it become definitive? Apparently she told him multiple times to put down the weapon. I give her a lot of credit for giving him a chance to save his life but for all I know he may have wanted her to kill him.
I hope she gets/has the support she may need to get through this.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:31 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:45 am A friend of mine who is now an Omaha police officer was involved in an officer-involved shooting a week or so ago. She and her partner were serving a warrant and the guy answered the door with a shotgun in his hands. When ordered to drop the weapon, he raised the shotgun and aimed it at the officer, at which time the officer fired once and killed the guy.

Sorry to hear/read this. Easy for some people the outside to say what we feel someone should and shouldn't do in situations we have never faced.
Questions I have is at what point is it determined your life is in danger? I would say the second he held the gun up there was a threat to her life but how and when does it become definitive? Apparently she told him multiple times to put down the weapon. I give her a lot of credit for giving him a chance to save his life but for all I know he may have wanted her to kill him.
I hope she gets/has the support she may need to get through this.
I would imagine that as soon as the guy opened the door with a shotgun, it was legally deemed to be a "your life is in danger" situation. You don't have to raise a weapon to fire it. It was pointed in their direction, she gave him the chance to put the weapon down and then responded to him leveling the weapon as if he was going to fire. I don't think there is any requirement of it being "definitive" or not, at least from a legal sense. Morally, you enter into a grey area as you attempt to justify your actions and response to said actions in some sort of "did I really NEED to shoot him" but that is a mental challenge that I assume any normal person would have to deal with when faced with such a circumstance.

Just sucks all around for everyone involved.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It does suck for everyone involved, and I feel for them.

you mention "any normal person," and I wonder what that sort of measure is, and how many "normal" people choose to become cops.

I'm also tempted to compare and contrast this dood answering the door with a shotgun and being afforded multiple warnings before using force, with the police shooting of Donovan Lewis.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:16 pm It does suck for everyone involved, and I feel for them.

you mention "any normal person," and I wonder what that sort of measure is, and how many "normal" people choose to become cops.

I'm also tempted to compare and contrast this dood answering the door with a shotgun and being afforded multiple warnings before using force, with the police shooting of Donovan Lewis.
I didn't mean it as something exclusive to a cop in this situation. I just mean that any normal person who does not enter a scenario intending to shoot a person that finds themselves at the other end of the scenario having shot and killed a person is likely going to have some moral turbulence of some kind that they will need to come to terms with. Unfortunately, it feels like there is a frighteningly high number of people out there, some are cops but many are not, who wouldn't lose a minute's sleep at that outcome and I do not consider that to be a "normal" reaction.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:16 pm It does suck for everyone involved, and I feel for them.

Well, there "multiple warnings" happened in approximate 1 second so I think it's a stretch to imply that the guy got some sort of "white guy latitude" afforded to him. It was about 2 seconds between him opening the door, warnings being issued, him raising his gun and him being shot. There wasn't some sort of long, drawn out conversation.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:18 pm

I didn't mean it as something exclusive to a cop in this situation. I just mean that any normal person who does not enter a scenario intending to shoot a person that finds themselves at the other end of the scenario having shot and killed a person is likely going to have some moral turbulence of some kind that they will need to come to terms with. Unfortunately, it feels like there is a frighteningly high number of people out there, some are cops but many are not, who wouldn't lose a minute's sleep at that outcome and I do not consider that to be a "normal" reaction.
Yea, the “make my day” mentality is freaky for cops and civilians alike, and perhaps more prevalent than it should be.

But yea, for any normal person, this would all weigh heavily on one’s conscience