NFL Offseason 2020

Kansas Football.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: NFL Offseason 2020

Post by pdub »

It was his foot that shut him down last season, no?
This is a duh statement but the guy is a good QB when healthy - it's health that has kept him from starting and signing a big contract with the Panthers ( or any other NFL team ).

I knew that the Pats would figure out a way to get this done.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I’m pretty sure the concern with Newton is the shoulder
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:39 am I’m pretty sure the concern with Newton is the shoulder
Small-picture, yes.

Big-picture, the injury concern is that he's a physical runner and always hurt in some form or fashion. The fit concern is that Belichick has never used a mobile quarterback, and Newton has never been a pure pocket passer.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's a whythehellnot move by the Pats.
If he's healthy, he keeps them competitive with that top 5 defensive unit.
They'll change their offense and feature more scripted runs - at the worst, Cam doesn't get the starting gig, he sounds off about the organization but Bill ignores it and it doesn't cost them much.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:50 am
Cascadia wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:39 am I’m pretty sure the concern with Newton is the shoulder
Small-picture, yes.

Big-picture, the injury concern is that he's a physical runner and always hurt in some form or fashion. The fit concern is that Belichick has never used a mobile quarterback, and Newton has never been a pure pocket passer.
Well to be fair, when he had to use Jacoby Brissett, he used so many concepts that made him successful. Rollouts, QB designed runs and the like. That was when Brady was suspended and Garrapolo got injured.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I remember watching the game Brissett had to start - they did surprisingly well and won, forgot who it was against.

But then I think he shit the bed in his next game.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

So lets say that Cam is healthy. That still doesn't replace the fact that the Pats don't have a tight end, their best WR is Edelman and they have no offensive line to protect a QB whose best asset is running the ball.

For the Pats it is zero risk and high reward.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Cam didn't have the best of weapons in Carolina either.
His MVP season, Ted Ginn Jr and Devin Funchess were his WR's.
In 2017 he had Kelvin Benjamin ( and no Greg Olsen ).
In 18, DJ Moore ( and no Greg Olsen ).

You could argue Edelman is the best WR he's had in a while.
And Greg Olsen hasn't been healthy in forever.

However, NE still has the issue of not having a receiver that can threaten deep/stretch the field, you'll have defenses geared with the run in mind - but Bill will figure something out.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

When Cam was at his MVP peak what made him special was his ability to run and make plays with his feet. That remains to be seen if that is still a viable option to play QB in the NFL. I'm looking at you, Lamar.

That is very true. Other than Olsen he never had a marquee name around him. Usually at least one 1k WR. Still I would take all of those guys (at the times you mentioned) over what the Pats have now. Teams figured out you double Julian and make everyone else beat you and in the second half of the year they couldn't.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Can now getting the LeBron treatment.

“It’s not his fault, all his teammates are trash!”
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think Edelman is better than we make him out to be ( i'd rather Edelman than those dudes ) - but you're right in that the Pats don't have much ( I think James White is decent ) beyond him.

They'll need Cam to still be a threat to run - whether he can after the foot issue is the question.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

They modified their offense to make Cam less a running threat, and his inaccurate arm was out in display. His inability to avoid contact led to change and his lack of skill (relative to current trends in QBs) was exposed. If anyone can utilize talent to its best, it’s Belichick, so I suppose we will see what he has left either way.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I got to drive a bit today and turned on local sports radio.
You had 2 guys who were saying how worthless this is and pointing out Cam's completion % for his career, 9 wins.
And then you had another guy who said AFC Champ game, Newton v Mahomes.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

It will be intriguing to watch an outside QB of the Pats system try and learn, master BB and McDaniel's schemes and play calling.

IMO it is the Chiefs, Ravens and then everyone else. Colts, Bills and Pats battle it out for third.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Agreed. I think Texans will always be in the mix because of Watson, but they did get worse.

Colts and Bills are going to be some damn good teams.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I wouldn't count out the Steelers as being one of those teams that battle it out in the AFC either.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah they'll be ok. I think Ben is washed, but they have some good pieces there.

They'll be a 9-7 WC team.

Deleted User 141

I’m hoping the Titans get to see the Chiefs in playoffs for 3rd time in 4 years.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

They'll be OK at like 10-6. They won't be anything special if I had a guess.

AFC South will be a competitive division outside of Jacksonville.

Deleted User 141

That would be team’s first 10 win season since 2008.