Kansas Football 2021 Season

Kansas Football.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Kansas Football 2021 Season

Post by Sparko »

Baylor always attacks the edge. Like CCU. And we had zero answers. Bean could run an offense built on the QB position. They should try to option frequently. Like with Jackson, you can't cover everything from the QB keeper to the fly patterns. A good coach adjusts to his players. I am just utterly devastated by the losses. It has been humiliation after humiliation. The current recruiting and transfer rules do seem to favor the haves. A team like Kansas should be allowed to regain it's footing. Limiting transfers from a losing program would be nice. We just keep getting punched in the face. The defense was simply not trying after the first three and out in the 3rd quarter. It is time for something drastic.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

While I don't disagree with you, Sparko what is the drastic measure they try? This team is who it is and that won't change.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Like after Mangino's first Big 12 game, we just need to fast forward 4 years and see where we're at.

From my seat, it was just two games in a row where the scoreboard was respectable after a half and then the obvious difference in the level of players starting showing up in the score. Baylor outclassed us from the opening kick despite the close score. We're three games into a long journey.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

A LONG journey for sure. With the new structure of the Big 12 even longer than Mangino's quick rise with KU. No more 4 non-con games, and then divisional opponents. Playing everyone is brutal.

However, after 3 games, I'm still seeing progress. There was zero reason for KU to be down at half and with the ball coming out, but yet there they were.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Duke a 2 TD favorite still on Saturday. Duke started off weirdly fast on Saturday. They did all the right things and Northwestern had the Clint Bowen defense in the 1st half. Still think KU has a chance.

KU gets FS1 National TV at Iowa State the next Saturday at 6pm. Lots of eyes on the program for that game. Need respectable.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

So much for depth at any position. He was getting killed by the telegraphed long developing run plays.
The humiliation sucks. Kansas fans are humble enough. Thoughts and prayers.
Baylor wasn't a very good team. And they steamrolled us.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

He quickly became the 3 or 4th RB on the depth chart.

But still sucks. Flomo and Malik Johnson will need to step up.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Boy, how quickly has the RB room has changed since the beginning of fall camp.
Holidaysmore - 2005
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Retention of players is going to be as important as recruiting.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:49 pm Retention of players is going to be as important as recruiting.
Especially with the new rules allowing a one time free transfer. But I guess in a way, it works both ways. That's without me knowing any of the details about scholarship use and whatnot and how that will work.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:51 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:49 pm Retention of players is going to be as important as recruiting.
Especially with the new rules allowing a one time free transfer. But I guess in a way, it works both ways. That's without me knowing any of the details about scholarship use and whatnot and how that will work.
I think the issue we're facing, and I don't know this for sure, but I'm speculating. The players who come to KU come here thinking they're gonna be THE guy and they come here because they want to play. If they don't get immediate playing time, they're gonna leave. The same caliber of player might go to a football power knowing he's gonna have to wait his turn, sit behind someone, and even then compete for the job.

It just seems harder for KU to bring good guys in, but we're in a position to loose them.

It's hard to build depth that way.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

What you are saying is that we are in a position where pretty much everything has to go right. I agree.

First step might be just having consecutive seasons without any staff or admin drama. And now we have this Big 12 shaky ground that no one asked for.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I may be in the minority here, but i haven't been all that disappointed with our team so far. Everybody has different expectations, but 1-2 is about as good as we could have hoped for imo. And there have been numerous bright spots.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Leipold will need 5 years, minimum, to get the program "turned around", but I don't think he'll be at KU beyond the 2023-2024 season; patience does not exist in the world anymore, including the sports world.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

There was some stubborn insanity Saturday that looks very familiar.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

This is so true. It sucks this happened.

I wish he would have given the coaching staff a year to show the improvement from coaching up players. It is tough I am sure. The players only have so many years of eligibility. He probably thinks he won't have a chance to show his skills at KU currently to get to the next level. I am sure he is thinking/dreaming that he can make it to the pros.

As I mentioned earlier it sucks. This is going to be a process (we have all heard or said that numerous times) we have to be patient and hope that the players can do that also.

I feel for the coaching staff. But it goes with the pay check.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

InfiniteJ wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:30 pm Leipold will need 5 years, minimum, to get the program "turned around", but I don't think he'll be at KU beyond the 2023-2024 season; patience does not exist in the world anymore, including the sports world.
I agree with the 5 years for the turn around. I really hope that he is here beyond the 2023/2024.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

InfiniteJ wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:30 pm Leipold will need 5 years, minimum, to get the program "turned around", but I don't think he'll be at KU beyond the 2023-2024 season; patience does not exist in the world anymore, including the sports world.
People really like Goff, so Leipold has that going for him.

Leipold can coach football, and very well. Need the time to make good decisions and work hard to develop talent, and a little bit to a lot of luck would be very welcome.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Herbert, Pooka, Gardner.
Didn't all 3 quit before the 3rd game ?