F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
TDub
Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:22 pm Pro sports:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... oops-union

have I mentioned how much i hate all of this?
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i blame the ncaa

(and greed, capitalism, etc.)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

A salary cap!
So if this happens, and then there are contacts for the players, what again separates it from the NBA?
Just that we get to use college logos?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... salary-cap
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

NBA teams/players don't care about winning regular season conference titles?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:00 am NBA teams/players don't care about winning regular season conference titles?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
True.
But at this rate I won't care either.

( but on another note, the NBA playoffs can be almost the same amount of games as a college regular season )
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He’s right.
He specifically brings up “business”.
It shouldn’t have to be a business. Or it’s number one intent shouldn’t have to be business.

Money always wins in our country.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think I might look back at this season and remember when i'm old like Shirley and japhy and DC and say, yea, that was the start of the slide for me.

This season has been the least enjoyable for me ever.
I've been watching KU since I was born ( and remember as far back as the 91 Duke game ).
When we were bubblish, with roi getting us a couple 8 seeds, I still loved those seasons way more than this, because you had familiar faces ( Kenny Gregory, Ryan Robertson ) you could cheer for.
I stay up 'late' ( for me now during the week ) to watch KU vs ksu and in the morning think, why? You don't even really like this anymore. You're doing it more because you've done it for so long.

Hunter, and not fully through fault of his own, is the face of new CBB for me. I can't really cheer for the guy even though I know he's an incredibly good ball player. He's not a Jayhawk to me.

Linking back to your favorite pub getting taken over by new management, he's not the new manager who is making all the changes, so again not fully fault of his own, but he's the new bartender who went to school for it, has been tending bar at some of the fanciest spots in the nation, and now is doing his craft, getting paid top dollar, when all you really wanted was a beer. He's kind of a douche bag. He takes his sweet time often. But ultimately he's not the guy who changed the bar - he just works here now - but just because he works in the building you loved, doesn't mean you have to like him.

Players will get paid. They'll have contracts. "Schools" ( lolz ) will have salary caps. Wonderful.
Just not something i'll be into anymore.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

that sucks for you

i’m enjoying this season far more than, say, ‘13-14 for example

i don’t necessarily like the changes, but i don’t think they’ve ever been on my mind while watching a game (unless it gets mentioned by announcers). really, the only time NIL/transfer portal bothers me is when i’m on here…

edit: the emergence of Furphy has definitely increased my enjoyment
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:06 am
Hunter, and not fully through fault of his own, is the face of new CBB for me. I can't really cheer for the guy even though I know he's an incredibly good ball player. He's not a Jayhawk to me.
I felt that way about KM last year. The whole "not a jayhawk" thing....but his behavior and actions have changed my mind on that (mostly), which is why I think I've been able to enjoy Hunter this year.

I thought coming into the year I would greatly dislike Hunter. But for several reasons I don't dislike him at all. I will like him a lot more if he comes back for year 2. Then I will feel similar to how I do about KM. Which to be honest, isn't any less than I feel about someone like Andrew Wiggins or Josh Jackson or any of the other guys who came to KU for 9months and left the program without leaving much of a lasting impact.

DH and Kj are my favorite players on this team by a wide margin. For the many of the reasons you're alluding to from players of old.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

KM is much more of a Jayhawk, to me, than guys like Wiggs or Jo
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:14 am i don’t necessarily like the changes
Same. I wish it were truly "college" athletics. Schools/Students competing against each other.

But it hasn't been that way for a long time. And I'd rather a player get enticed to come to KU above the table like HD than be given 20k under the table with coaches having to act sneaky and pretend they don't know. The "cheating" bothers me more than the paying of the players. We were at best operating intentionally in gray area/without direct knowledge, and at worst intentionally breaking recruiting rules. The fact Duke and UK and dozens others were doing it too is relatively unimportant to me.

Maybe that's the golfer in me. I want to win, but I don't want to cheat to accomplish that, even if I know others are cheating.

I think the new rules allow for players to get paid and for our coaches to focus on things like coaching and developing players and less on avoiding getting caught up in FBI investigations.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And I don't think it was nearly as rampant as it was made out to be ( obviously it's been there - Self got caught in it ). I believe a majority of the players who have said they weren't getting paid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i don’t disagree, pdub

however, there’s part of me that looks at things like ucla’s previous dominance and can’t help but cringe at what must’ve been happening under the table

yes, i realize the tourney was smaller, etc, etc…
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Rules are always going to be broken by those who don't value them over every competitive advantage.

Bill Belichick knows this well.

To me, that's not reason for change.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:58 am And I don't think it was nearly as rampant as it was made out to be
Probably not. Especially 35+ years ago.

Unfortunately, I think it was rampant at the top programs and for the top players over the last 20ish+ years. And that includes us.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Every time I find myself feeling all warm and fuzzy about the “majority of the players who have said they weren't getting paid” sorts of sentiments, I then remember 1. that student athletes work with PR coaches to train them extensively to say things like just that, and 2. a fishing buddy’s auntie who played women’s hoops and maintains that even at a directional Kentucky school in the 80s even she too was getting paid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:18 am 2. a fishing buddy’s auntie who played women’s hoops and maintains that even at a directional Kentucky school in the 80s even she too was getting paid.
I hung out with Tubby once at a bar.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:19 pm i blame the ncaa

(and greed, capitalism, etc.)
I’m here with it.

To me, all the fuss in this thread is less some issue unique and isolated to this thread, and more just a symptom of some much bigger issue yet.

When capitalism so doggedly seeks to commodify and monetize abso-fucking-lutely everything, of course it was gonna happen to college sports too
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Well, in this thread today, we've only been talking about how/why it's impacted our enjoyment of the sport and how we feel about the players that play at KU.

We've gone over all the other stuff dozens of times.