Bracketology 2020-21

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: Bracketology 2020-21

Post by twocoach »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:20 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:16 pm
Cascadia wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:14 pm

Again, we all know you don’t get it. Please stop.
Feel free to ignore me. I'll participate how I choose.
You should be embarrassed by your stupidity instead of trying to show it off
Feel free to enlighten me as to what I am stupid on in regards to this topic. What specifically has been the negative impact of not having this week off in between the conference tourney and the ncaa tourney?

If McCormack and Enaruna could get covid before the Big 12 tourney then Jalen Wilson could have gotten it on the week break if there was one.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think a week between would have been wise but also twocoach is right -- it's currently only affecting a few teams ( it just sucks that we are one of them ).
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

I'm just here to watch people argue without getting paid for it.
Ain't no seats
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:09 pm I think a week between would have been wise but also twocoach is right -- it's currently only affecting a few teams ( it just sucks that we are one of them ).
Agreed. Sure it would be great if McCormack could have another week to get his legs back under him but that's just wishful thinking. His case began before the Big 12 tourney, not at the tourney so him being less than 100% is just purely rotten luck and bad timing.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Grandma wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:30 am
NDballer13 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:13 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:00 am

They seem to have taken enough care in their protocols to not have any teams get knocked out of the tourney at all, let alone "half a conference". People just seem to take any chance to drag the ncaa they can find. If they took a week off in between and some players went back to campus and got covid then someone would drag the ncaa for giving the players too much idle time. So it goes.

We have a tourney starting today. As should be expected of a tourney played this season, regardless of when they play it, there will be some teams that aren't at 100% due to the impacts of covid. Let's just get to it and get it rolling.
If this was going to be an issue no matter the time, why not take the buffer week/10 days and make it as minimal as possible? This isn't the same as a standard injury that could effect a team and say well, he could he have rolled his ankle in practice too.

Conference tourneys are unnecessary to begin with, even more so when you're primary goal is to stop the spread of a virus that's already canceled one tourney and saw many players/teams opt out of playing.
Mixed feelings. While I actually agree that conference tourneys are generally unnecessary, we are looking at it from our perspective as KU Basketball fans.
What about those teams who are fighting for a spot? Or the networks who employ people to broadcast them, and/or the sponsors, and/or the hotels and restaurants in the areas, and/or etc.. etc.?
An argument could be made that the regular non conference season was unnecessary. We can go on and on. Most people would be in agreement that we wanted as full of a season as possible. Sure there are ways it could have been (and perhaps should have been) abbreviated but the NCAA made a decision and teams did what they could to adhere to it and play games.
I don't blame Conference tournaments for causing the issues we are facing today in terms of players (and possibly entire teams) missing games in the tournament, the virus caused the issues.
If the roof collapsed during a play in game tonight, then people would argue how the play in games are unnecessary. The play in game/s didn't cause the roof to collapse.
I've been saying forever, even back to the .commie days, that the regular season champ should get the auto bid. "Playing for a bid" is irrelevant when I say they are unnecessary. If you can't get a bid over the course of 27-29 games, then the last 3 shouldn't make a difference.

It's not a conference's job to make sure local hotels and restaurants are getting income. If that were the case, they should be required to rotate cities. Networks and sponsors for the tournament don't make them necessary. Thats pretty much the exact issue players are fighting for right now. Everyone is making money, except them. Fuck the networks and sponsors.

I'm not necessarily blaming conference tournaments for any outbreak either, but when it comes to ways to minimize the spread, why not start there.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:16 pm
I've been saying forever, even back to the .commie days, that the regular season champ should get the auto bid. "Playing for a bid" is irrelevant when I say they are unnecessary. If you can't get a bid over the course of 27-29 games, then the last 3 shouldn't make a difference.

It's not a conference's job to make sure local hotels and restaurants are getting income. If that were the case, they should be required to rotate cities. Networks and sponsors for the tournament don't make them necessary. Thats pretty much the exact issue players are fighting for right now. Everyone is making money, except them. Fuck the networks and sponsors.

I'm not necessarily blaming conference tournaments for any outbreak either, but when it comes to ways to minimize the spread, why not start there.
In terms of fairness I totally agree...
But the excitement of March is the Cinderellas. Every team goes into March with a chance to make the tournament, and thus to win games in the tournament. It gives followers of 300+ teams some excitement. I think conference tournaments provide the greatest utility to the greatest number of people.