Kansas Football 2021 Season

Kansas Football.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Kansas Football 2021 Season

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

nu_bronco wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:38 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:49 pm Retention of players is going to be as important as recruiting.
This is so true. It sucks this happened.

I wish he would have given the coaching staff a year to show the improvement from coaching up players. It is tough I am sure. The players only have so many years of eligibility. He probably thinks he won't have a chance to show his skills at KU currently to get to the next level. I am sure he is thinking/dreaming that he can make it to the pros.

As I mentioned earlier it sucks. This is going to be a process (we have all heard or said that numerous times) we have to be patient and hope that the players can do that also.

I feel for the coaching staff. But it goes with the pay check.
Retention and recruiting are about the same thing given the circumstances.

Can't really afford to lose anyone, but RB might be the only position a college program has where you're going to get bumped fast if you don't produce. That seemed to happen to Gardner, and it seems it didn't sit well with him.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:50 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:49 pm Retention of players is going to be as important as recruiting.

I wish he would have given the coaching staff a year to show the improvement from coaching up players. It is tough I am sure. The players only have so many years of eligibility. He probably thinks he won't have a chance to show his skills at KU currently to get to the next level. I am sure he is thinking/dreaming that he can make it to the pros.

As I mentioned earlier it sucks. This is going to be a process (we have all heard or said that numerous times) we have to be patient and hope that the players can do that also.

Can't really afford to lose anyone, but RB might be the only position a college program has where you're going to get bumped fast if you don't produce. That seemed to happen to Gardner, and it seems it didn't sit well with him.
But was it him not producing or the limitations of the o-line? I can see both, just curious what your thoughts on that are.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

If Leipold were leaving after 4 years, he never would've come here in the first place.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

nu_bronco wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:01 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:50 pm

But was it him not producing or the limitations of the o-line? I can see both, just curious what your thoughts on that are.
The O-Line is a huge issue, as it has been for seemingly forever.

He didn't seem comfortable with the zone scheme, though, and Neal had basically supplanted him on the depth chart. I am certainly crossing my fingers that Neal and APH are a better fit for the carries.

I liked Gardner last year, though, so I still hate to lose him.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:06 pm The O-Line is a huge issue, as it has been for seemingly forever.

He didn't seem comfortable with the zone scheme, though, and Neal had basically supplanted him on the depth chart. I am certainly crossing my fingers that Neal and APH are a better fit for the carries.

I liked Gardner last year, though, so I still hate to lose him.
Yeah, it could be the scheme that Gardner is having issues with (to go along with the line issues). This is why I think Gardner might want to go to some offense that gets him out in space more to dance around making the misses. It seems the new KU offense wants you to hit a hole they make and then make people miss down the field.

I wish he wasn't leaving also. I think they can find a way to use him in the offense. I am also optimistic that the offense will get better as the season continues even.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

I just read on twitter this guy wants to come to KU and that is why Gardner is looking to transfer.
https://usc.rivals.com/news/four-star-r ... s-from-usc

Okay, I didn't read that on twitter, just saw he decommitted and wanted to bring some hope to this board.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

It sucks for the team, but if Gardner doesn't want to be there then I'm glad he's gone; give the carries to the backs who want to be there and want to put in the work.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Jalon Peoples was a solid CB that was committed to KU. That changed this morning. That'll happen a bit. But something I did notice this last Friday, the staff hit KC Metro HARD. Leipold was even out and visited a few games according to Kirby at the Slant. KU has really embraced KC since Goff took over.

I do wonder this somewhat. It seems like Leipold and crew have that Midwest background. I wonder if they shy away from Texas a bit and focus on guys who they can develop well from the states of Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois and others. Some of the more unsung guys in Mangino's heyday were from California, Kansas, Oklahoma, Ohio, Nebraska with some Texas influence. But I wonder what the percentage of the team now is from Texas and if that number shrinks signifcantly.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

That blows about Peoples.

It's honestly hard to see a way out of this outside of developing local talent and getting really frickin' lucky.

And, yeah, we've turned our eyes away from Texas, and it just adds to why OU/UT leaving the Big 12 sucks ass. I expect Emmett Jones will be leaving the program in the not-so-distant future.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:53 pm That blows about Peoples.

It's honestly hard to see a way out of this outside of developing local talent and getting really frickin' lucky.

And, yeah, we've turned our eyes away from Texas, and it just adds to why OU/UT leaving the Big 12 sucks ass. I expect Emmett Jones will be leaving the program in the not-so-distant future.
Unfortunately you are probably right about Jones. Give it until after the 2022 season is my guess.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Leipold has impressed me with last 2 pressers.

Physically and verbally pissed after Saturdays game.

Today was very direct about Gardner leaving, saying I’m focused on those who are here and want to be here. And when asked when a rebuild what is the best way, his first response was “We’re building this thing. Not try, we’re going to” Then answered the question.

It’s a coach that is frustrated with a result but still confident in his abilities to be a consistent winner if not just a consistent competitive team. He’s not over-hyped, he doesn’t over promise much, he’s pretty low key and I also think he’s a fighter. We haven’t had a coach show so much energy and chewing ass left and right in the last decade.

Case in point. Points directly at a ref, says you fucked up, ref says to get on sideline and he goes to sideline and then points to ref to come to him so he can chew his ass some more.

https://twitter.com/jessenewell/status/ ... 76878?s=21

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

You have to wonder if through back channels players / recruits are finding out that Jones maybe on his way out to 'greener' pastures. Peoples was a Jones recruit and so was Gardner. Probably not as both players 'leaving' is probably justified but I'm not sure how much longer they will be able to keep Jones.

Freaking love Leipold. Night and day difference between him and Les. I had a buddy of mine tell me that his boss was a head ref in D3 and the MAC and that LL is a certified nut job on the sidelines. Again, love it and I know that his players do as well.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

This is massive for Kansas Football.

https://twitter.com/rossdellenger/statu ... 09345?s=21

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

It makes sense. Stopping in-season transfers would be great too. Puzzling policies altogether
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'm not opining on the merits of one strategy versus the other, but the "recruit Texas!" and "recruit your back yard!" teeter-totter is certainly another of the usual coaching-switch tropes.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:53 am

I'm not opining on the merits of one strategy versus the other, but the "recruit Texas!" and "recruit your back yard!" teeter-totter is certainly another of the usual coaching-switch tropes.
I haven't seen anything that we are no longer recruiting Texas--I just think it is the harsh reality of losing UT and OU.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I believe the whole 'he recruits Texas' or 'this guy recruits FL' well is a bit over blown. It might get you one or two kids ala Steven Parker but in the grand scheme of things it isn't moving the needle especially at a place like KU.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So what are we expecting today?

I think we do what we have done the last two games, keep it close in the first, get crushed in the second.

33-13.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Playing for pride alone and having their ass chewed all week--righteously. I see a 35-32 win. But I would take not feeling like college football is a hopelessly imbalanced sport now more akin to pro wrestling.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I can't pick us to loose to freakin dook.
KU 24 poopie heads 14
Defense. Rebounds.