Weather

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 141

Re: Weather

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Like I told ya in PM, our family weekend trip to mountains 90 min away gonna cost more than a 4 day trip somewhere else.

I really wish we could move away from here.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:49 am A day pass to vail is over $200 now. And damn near 3 hours to/from Denver, if the traffic is moving, which it isn’t.

All to stand in line!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8XXXDBn1Jc ... thallxmqoh
OMG. I've never seen anything like that, but, I haven't been skiing in Co. in years. I stayed in a condo at the base of Lion's Head several times, and it was never, ever close to that bad.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Wow, I hope that line was only at the base. That is horrid.

We have a few downhill places nearby (<1hr drive) Buffalo. $65 weekend day pass. 7 years & younger are free on lifts. $25 gets you rental, a lesson, and all day on the bunny slopes. It us NOT the Rockies, but perfectly fine for a winter day of fun.

Night skiing is extensive. The colleges, universities, and high schools all have ski clubs that bus students to the various resorts.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I recall making this point on the commie, I’d price a trip to the Swiss Alps to compare to Colorado this time of year. Both require a day of travel for me.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm not a great skier so if I'm headed to a big mountain I like to get a lesson which usually costs about 30/40 more dollars than a regular lift pass. You get an express line to almost all ( if not all ) the blues and every green. That's enough for me and I don't wait in line.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Snow in KC today, that will melt just in time for a flash-freeze tonight. Near-certainty that schools will be canceled tomorrow. Fuck this terrible weather city.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:56 am Snow in KC today, that will melt just in time for a flash-freeze tonight. Near-certainty that schools will be canceled tomorrow. Fuck this terrible weather city.
Same here in Wichita area. Close to 3 inches of snow. Will all melt and then temp around 10 or so with a windchill of 0 tonight. Fun.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

1 to 3 inches of rain here on top of already overly saturated ground. Pretty severe flooding to our Southeast. That's only going to get worse.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 295

Post by Deleted User 295 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:56 am Snow in KC today, that will melt just in time for a flash-freeze tonight. Near-certainty that schools will be canceled tomorrow. Fuck this terrible weather city.
They did a half day here. I'd imagine tomorrow will be canceled also.

Not really snow right now. Just rain...but it's right around freezing temp so roads may get bad in a hurry.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I’d really like to see the normal sustained freezing that Buffalo normally has. If it never comes, buggy things are going to be brutal next summer.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Feral wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:18 pm
ousdahl wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:49 am A day pass to vail is over $200 now. And damn near 3 hours to/from Denver, if the traffic is moving, which it isn’t.

All to stand in line!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8XXXDBn1Jc ... thallxmqoh
OMG. I've never seen anything like that, but, I haven't been skiing in Co. in years. I stayed in a condo at the base of Lion's Head several times, and it was never, ever close to that bad.
Vail’s COO issues a public apology.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/vails-ap ... s-leaders/
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m torn about this.

On one hand, why should she apologize? How is it her fault 10000+ skiers bum rushed the lift all at once?

On the other hand, it kinda rings hollow. Though she *says* she’s sorry, neither she nor vail make any mention of handing back some of the revenue from those $200+ day passes that afforded guests little more than a line to stand in.

If she and vail was truly sorry, why not issue some sort of refund or credit?

Heck, just offer like a coupon for a free app at one of the overpriced restaurants to anyone who bought a pass that day. Make guests actually want to return.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

You know the deal when you go to a resort like that. If you move to LA and complain about traffic should the city offer you a coupon for free gas?
Just Ledoux it
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Good ol' overrated Vail. If you are coming from out of town skip Breck, Vail and Aspen and go to A-Basin or Winter Park. Much better skiing and you don't deal with near the amount of BS that comes with the other resorts I mentioned.

When I lived in Denver and skied I would only go to Loveland. Take a random day off of work, wake up late, go buy a half day pass for Loveland and I would be home by 4.
Holidaysmore - 2005
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:24 pm You know the deal when you go to a resort like that. If you move to LA and complain about traffic should the city offer you a coupon for free gas?
Yeah, though that’s not the best analogy.

A better one would be not a city but something like, another luxury something. Like a high end steakhouse, that hypothetically has an app that says when your table is ready.

And the steakhouse knows they’re gonna be extra busy one night. But instead of affirmatively addressing that, they just keep taking reservations even though they don’t have the tables. And guests get app messages that the table is ready even though there isn’t a table ready.

Then they take forever to serve steaks to guests who don’t have a table so they have to eat standing up in the lounge.

Then after guests complain on social media the steakhouse just says, no one’s saying refunding your overpriced steak that you ate standing up, but here, have an apology LOL.

And even then, that’s not the best analogy.

I’ve been meaning to get on Facebook and read comments, but I haven’t been on Facebook in months.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:28 pm Good ol' overrated Vail. If you are coming from out of town skip Breck, Vail and Aspen and go to A-Basin or Winter Park. Much better skiing and you don't deal with near the amount of BS that comes with the other resorts I mentioned.

When I lived in Denver and skied I would only go to Loveland. Take a random day off of work, wake up late, go buy a half day pass for Loveland and I would be home by 4.
A-Basin is awesome. Monarch is also good if you don't want to spend a bunch of time waiting in lift lines.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:28 pm Good ol' overrated Vail. If you are coming from out of town skip Breck, Vail and Aspen and go to A-Basin or Winter Park. Much better skiing and you don't deal with near the amount of BS that comes with the other resorts I mentioned.

We’re going to Vail in the upcoming mud season for a weekend. No skiing, but is that a mistake?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

imho not at all. Mud season is a fraction of the crowds. The only real bum rushes happen for holidays and/or pow days.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We need an early check in and late check out. Who can accommodate that?
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Probably everyone in mud season. Great time to go, especially if you not trying to do a whole lot requiring where the mud is.