Finding New Shit on TV

Coffee talk.
zsn
Contributor

Re: Finding New Shit on TV

Post by zsn »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:13 pm I wonder how it would go if you called like Progressive and said, I already know about you guys and have a plan through you guys so really no need to advertise any further. So will you guys knock 3.8% off my premium if I promise to never watch one of your commercials again?
There’s a Freakanomics podcast which looks at the real ROI of TV and print advertising. The conclusion was that it was quite awful. Seriously, when was the last time you saw a TV or print ad and said “I’m going to go out get the product/service” when you hadn’t already tending in that direction? I can’t think of a situation like that.

Other than subsidizing media distribution ads, TV and print, are essentially worthless
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

zsn wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:39 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:13 pm I wonder how it would go if you called like Progressive and said, I already know about you guys and have a plan through you guys so really no need to advertise any further. So will you guys knock 3.8% off my premium if I promise to never watch one of your commercials again?
There’s a Freakanomics podcast which looks at the real ROI of TV and print advertising. The conclusion was that it was quite awful. Seriously, when was the last time you saw a TV or print ad and said “I’m going to go out get the product/service” when you hadn’t already tending in that direction? I can’t think of a situation like that.

Other than subsidizing media distribution ads, TV and print, are essentially worthless
Every time a pizza place finds a new spot to stick some cheese.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

saw that the “new” thing is sauce on top of toppings
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:00 pm saw that the “new” thing is sauce on top of toppings
Not really new. That's Detroit style.

Deleted User 89

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:01 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:00 pm saw that the “new” thing is sauce on top of toppings
ahhh...never been to that neck of the woods

must just be new to the chains then
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:01 pm
I know we've been over this but i thought detroit style was just like a modified sicilian style with thick but crispy crust and toppings and cheese all the way to the edge. Maybe its all of the above
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I lived in the Detroit area for 9 years, and never new Detroit style was supposed to be sauce on top until I saw it in a Pizza Hut commercial a couple weeks ago
Deleted User 89

lol
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And re: advertising, yeah, it seems like it’s laughably ineffective at actually influencing consumers.

I think more than anything it’s game theory or whatever? Like if one company is advertising this much, then other companies think they have to too.
Deleted User 89

need Leawood to weigh in

otherwise, who cuts pizza with scissors?

https://youtu.be/QNi0WO8ZQSs
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:59 pm
zsn wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:39 pm

Every time a pizza place finds a new spot to stick some cheese.
Seriously, the ads for the Detroit pizza will get me one of these days. I'm such a sucker for fast food.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Who cares about how she cuts pizza.

That woman is a dead ringer for a female named Silverman who went to Tulane and who I met during spring break in 1985 at South Padre. Fun week.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:35 pm And re: advertising, yeah, it seems like it’s laughably ineffective at actually influencing consumers.

I think more than anything it’s game theory or whatever? Like if one company is advertising this much, then other companies think they have to too.
While it may seem like there isn't influence, I can assure you there is.
Billions of dollars wouldn't be wasted if there weren't metrics to prove such.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:59 pm Every time a pizza place finds a new spot to stick some cheese.
I thought someone would snap back with “every time Gillette puts another blade on the razor”.

When I started shaving twin-blade razors were revolutionary! My dad was still using the the razor which swung open and you put a two-edged blade in it. Now they are up to what, five blades - and they buzz?!?!

At a late night drinking session at a conference (anyone remember those!) we talking about how the logical conclusion to the razor wars would be when you’re standing in front of the mirror holding what looks like a window blind!!
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

The more blades the harder it is to get the hair right under my nose.

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Quality Detroit style pizza is very good (not great) but poor quality is really bad. I’ve only had good Detroit style twice.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:07 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:35 pm And re: advertising, yeah, it seems like it’s laughably ineffective at actually influencing consumers.

While it may seem like there isn't influence, I can assure you there is.
Billions of dollars wouldn't be wasted if there weren't metrics to prove such.
Yeah, there’s inevitably some influence, even if it’s just toward the general effort of corporations wanting to insert themselves into every little corner of our lives.

But, if I may ask zsn’s question again for you to answer: when was the last time you saw a TV or print ad and said “I’m going to go out get the product/service” when you hadn’t already tending in that direction?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And re: billions of dollars wasted, I wonder whether that metric was identified by a bunch of marketing execs who would otherwise be out of a job if they had to admit that what they do is largely a waste of time.

Here’s a thought: if we could hypothetically ask consumers, how much ad time time is most ideal for you in the average hour of tv programming (or average YouTube video or pages in a print publication or whatever), I wonder what number the free market would want?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And in case anyone has forgot, and needs a good hard belly laugh, remember that I graduated with a marketing degree from KU school of business, LOL sigh.

3.6 gpa too!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's a very complicated question.
First you need to understand brand recognition.

If your consumer has no idea what you provide, and why they should buy your product, then you'll very likely not grow at a substantial rate or become a market leader. Take a packaged good for example. If you are in the grocery store, and want to buy some soda, you know what you're getting with Coca Cola or Pepsi. If there's a bottom shelf of some green box called "Oussies" most ( not all but proven to be most ) aren't gonna buy it. Why should they? They have no idea what it is.

As far as trending in that direction, that is also a very large part of marketing and advertising. There are different stages of a consumer journey - one of them being brand loyalty. It's proven that brand loyalty can be influenced. So say I want to buy a new car, and i'm not necessarily tied to what I previously had, and now i'm looking at a growing family. Well, i'm trending towards buying a car - but now i've seen a Subaru add that is all about family safety. And now i'm online looking into the safety features of that vehicle.

Another note is the power of subliminal messaging and advertising. While you may not feel influenced in a direction, the fact alone that you know about this brand, and have recently heard/viewed something about it does make an impact on purchase.

I'll ask you this question for you to answer: If you were going to start your own fish guide business, would you get a logo? A website? Would you put up fliers? I'd say probably, yes. But why?