Battle 4 Atlantis Game Threads

Kansas Basketball.
Mjl

Re: Battle 4 Atlantis Game Threads

Post by Mjl »

Jayhawkerr wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:26 pm
randylahey wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:51 pm
Feral wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:44 pm

I've taken it for granted that the NCAA investigation hanging over our head for the last several years has had a significant impact on our recruiting of elite players.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
I dont understand this. We literally brought in 3 McDonald's all Americans, and one of the best transfers on the market.

And last season we literally won it all. I think our recruiting has been fine
I’m certain this NCAA witch hunt has impacted recruiting in a negative way. Bringing in 3 Mc D All Americans is great but this team needs more guards and bigs who can contribute right now. Not having experienced, skilled bigs is hurting the team now.
Arkansas and Duke and Kentucky got all the best freshmen this year. They all lost before us. This is a very good recruiting class, but freshmen in November suck. That was the least of our problems.

We have seen that we suck when Juan is out. Refs made a bunch a shitty calls to keep him out. We have point guards coming in next year, including an elite one, and Pettiford will be a year better. I'm not worried.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

We always seem to lose a game that on paper we shouldn’t lose late November.

Not suprised.

Plus, Norm is clearly the better coach
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Overlander wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:39 pm We always seem to lose a game that on paper we shouldn’t lose late November.

Not suprised.

Plus, Norm is clearly the better coach
Under Roy, we ruled October and cried in April. So, will take. It was a perfect storm today, anyway.
Jayhawkerr

Post by Jayhawkerr »

randylahey wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:35 pm
randylahey wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:51 pm

I dont understand this. We literally brought in 3 McDonald's all Americans, and one of the best transfers on the market.

And last season we literally won it all. I think our recruiting has been fine
I’m certain this NCAA witch hunt has impacted recruiting in a negative way. Bringing in 3 Mc D All Americans is great but this team needs more guards and bigs who can contribute right now. Not having experienced, skilled bigs is hurting the team now.
Be realistic. How many teams have more talent on their roster than KU?

We just won a national championship and lost 6 of our 8 rotation players from last season. We are going to look inexperienced. Be patient
Not disagreeing with your points, it just seems like a long time since Kansas hasn’t had a skilled 5 returning. The two freshmen bigs will be good in the years ahead. Wishing they could have picked up a graduate transfer 5 player for this season. Coming off a fresh NC, that task seemed reachable.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

WTF?
McCormack?
Jayhawkerr

Post by Jayhawkerr »

Overlander wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:35 pm WTF?
McCormack?
They don’t win the NC without Dave.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

No doubt. So why in the world would you claim that KU hasnt had a quality big in a long time?
It’s been almost 9 months
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think Jayhawkerr means it’s been a long time since we haven’t had a good big returning.

So he agrees with you.
And he’s right.
We don’t have a ( prototypical ) skilled big on this team…yet.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

One more thing to note - this was by far Vols best game of the year and by far our worst game of the year. They are not as good as they looked and we are not as bad as we looked. It's a long season.

It also kinda shows what we look like without J Wil since their game plan was clearly to take him out of it.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Feral wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:44 pm
Jayhawkerr wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:42 pm
Feral wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:37 pm

What do you expect when the game is fixed?
Coming off a National Championship, it seems they would have picked up some players late in recruiting, a seven footer, top tier guards. This team has some critical missing parts.
I've taken it for granted that the NCAA investigation hanging over our head for the last several years has had a significant impact on our recruiting of elite players.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
We signed 3 Top 50 players, one of whom is 6'10". There were only 5 7 footers in the Top 100. Good grief.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also Zach Clemence was a top 50 player/big.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Jayhawkerr wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:51 pm
randylahey wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:35 pm

Be realistic. How many teams have more talent on their roster than KU?

We just won a national championship and lost 6 of our 8 rotation players from last season. We are going to look inexperienced. Be patient
Not disagreeing with your points, it just seems like a long time since Kansas hasn’t had a skilled 5 returning. The two freshmen bigs will be good in the years ahead. Wishing they could have picked up a graduate transfer 5 player for this season. Coming off a fresh NC, that task seemed reachable.
https://watchstadium.com/top-100-colleg ... 0-27-2022/

Go look ar this list and tell me who this mythical Center is that we were supposed to get. The "best" center on the transfer market transferred to Chattanooga.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Key word: RETURNING

good grief indeed.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea our big rotation is raw, but I think there's enough talent and potential there (among KJ/Zach/Udeh/Zuby) to get some serviceable enough 40 minutes a night out of em by March.

right now, I'm more concerned with our guards.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Welp, doesn’t sound too serious at least but his injury history was a big fear of mine for this season. One PG, especially a small one, is far from ideal.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Not that I'm all in on the Yes train, but I will say it was pretty exciting to see a guy at the 1 spot who actually shoots.

Dude checked in as a reserve in a low-scoring dumpster fire of a game and tied Dajuan's career high points

but yea, also 0 assists.

but yea but yea, I think we gotta get Yes up to speed in that poor-man's Remy role. Really no other choice with Bobby stored in bubble wrap for the foreseeable future.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

5-23 from Wilson and Dick equals loss.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:07 am right now, I'm more concerned with our guards.
Check out those rebound totals from yesterday. Then rethink your stance on guards being the concern.

Can't "run run run" like you always say if you can't get a defensive rebound.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:37 am it was pretty exciting to see a guy at the 1 spot who actually shoots.
Yes. 14pts on 11 shots. With 0 assists. That kind of production (and efficiency) really gets me excited too.

🙄🙄🙄