What happened to the immigration thread?

Ugh.
JKLivin
Contributor

Re: What happened to the immigration thread?

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:05 pm
JKLivin wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:57 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:54 pm

Isolated incidents of vacationers being inconvenienced, now THAT’S persuasive.
https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/arm ... s-foxboro/

FOXBORO - It is one of the most anticipated games in college football and this year it is being played at Gillette Stadium. The Army-Navy game will make its Foxboro debut on December 9th.

American presidents often attend, but you can be certain tens of thousands of veterans will pour into the greater Boston area. Tickets to the game sell out quickly and hotel rooms become a hot commodity.

That's why it was all the more troubling when Mark Mansbach, a travel agent out of New Jersey, started getting calls from clients that their hotel rooms for the game were being canceled. He decided to call the hotels his agency was partnering with for the game.

"They were leasing out the hotels to the state of Massachusetts for refugees," Mansbach said he was told. It was the response from three hotels owned by Giri Hotel Management, according to Mansbach.

The company, he explained, was working with the state to house migrants under the right to shelter law. His clients' previously booked hotel rooms were canceled to continue the lease with the state. Mansbach said at least 70 of his reservations were impacted.

In a statement to WBZ-TV Thursday, a Giri Hotel Management spokesperson didn't address the cancelations directly, saying they're committed "to providing shelter and support to refugees at our hotels."

"As a gesture of solidarity and humanitarian responsibility, we are opening our doors to those seeking refuge in our community," the statement read. "We look forward to working with local authorities and organizations to ensure a smooth transition for all those who will call our hotels home during their time with us."

Mansbach said in his two decades of experience, he had never heard of something like this happening.

"I have never had a hotel take rooms back and give me nothing. They sent out cancellations and walked away," Mansbach told WBZ. "Some people (clients) have decided not to go, and others found space in Boston. Some I have been able to put into other hotels that I had space left in."

Governor Maura Healey spoke about the issue Wednesday afternoon.

"I am very distressed to learn that any veteran may have been moved from a hotel, who had booked a hotel for that game," Healey said. "As I understand it, those were decisions made by area hotels."

Healey said she instructed the Office of Veteran Services to look into the matter. The agency told WBZ Wednesday it was in contact with the parties involved to pinpoint any veteran who was still in need of a room.
So, ah, the inconvenienced vacationers chose to cancel their vacations, or made (or had made for them) alternative arrangements.

#neverforget
Meh. It's not isolated. I read about entire wedding parties being denied access to their hotels and vacation plans being scrapped all throughout the Summer. Whether you feel like the inconvenience is a big deal or not, the fact that people who are not even supposed to be here in the first place are supplanting people who have a right to be here should be troubling.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:13 pm

FOXBORO - It is one of the most anticipated games in college football and this year it is being played at Gillette Stadium. The Army-Navy game will make its Foxboro debut on December 9th.

American presidents often attend, but you can be certain tens of thousands of veterans will pour into the greater Boston area. Tickets to the game sell out quickly and hotel rooms become a hot commodity.

That's why it was all the more troubling when Mark Mansbach, a travel agent out of New Jersey, started getting calls from clients that their hotel rooms for the game were being canceled. He decided to call the hotels his agency was partnering with for the game.

"They were leasing out the hotels to the state of Massachusetts for refugees," Mansbach said he was told. It was the response from three hotels owned by Giri Hotel Management, according to Mansbach.

The company, he explained, was working with the state to house migrants under the right to shelter law. His clients' previously booked hotel rooms were canceled to continue the lease with the state. Mansbach said at least 70 of his reservations were impacted.

In a statement to WBZ-TV Thursday, a Giri Hotel Management spokesperson didn't address the cancelations directly, saying they're committed "to providing shelter and support to refugees at our hotels."

"As a gesture of solidarity and humanitarian responsibility, we are opening our doors to those seeking refuge in our community," the statement read. "We look forward to working with local authorities and organizations to ensure a smooth transition for all those who will call our hotels home during their time with us."

Mansbach said in his two decades of experience, he had never heard of something like this happening.

"I have never had a hotel take rooms back and give me nothing. They sent out cancellations and walked away," Mansbach told WBZ. "Some people (clients) have decided not to go, and others found space in Boston. Some I have been able to put into other hotels that I had space left in."

"I am very distressed to learn that any veteran may have been moved from a hotel, who had booked a hotel for that game," Healey said. "As I understand it, those were decisions made by area hotels."

Healey said she instructed the Office of Veteran Services to look into the matter. The agency told WBZ Wednesday it was in contact with the parties involved to pinpoint any veteran who was still in need of a room.
So, ah, the inconvenienced vacationers chose to cancel their vacations, or made (or had made for them) alternative arrangements.

#neverforget
Meh. It's not isolated. I read about entire wedding parties being denied access to their hotels and vacation plans being scrapped all throughout the Summer. Whether you feel like the inconvenience is a big deal or not, the fact that people who are not even supposed to be here in the first place are supplanting people who have a right to be here should be troubling.
I don’t think you’ll find anyone saying that the status quo is desirable. But, I’m sorry, some (generally white middle-to-higher class) folks being inconvenienced does not, in my opinion, support the actions MAGAs want taken.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:54 pm

Isolated incidents of vacationers being inconvenienced, now THAT’S persuasive.

#neverforget
This isn't me speaking. This is a lot of other people speaking.....

Those people you simply refer to as "inconvenienced vacationers"; some/many of them are military families. Who legally live here and pay taxes. Who are fed up with the migrant crisis.
Tell them to get over it and fuck 'em! Right?
Problem is it's not them so much but it's those who are rallying together to try and convince other Americans the problem is only going to get A LOT worse as long as we have Dems in office. From our President, to Congress, to Governors, to Mayors, to City Council/Aldermen, to Judges, etc.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:18 pm

#neverforget

Those people you simply refer to as "inconvenienced vacationers"; some/many of them are military families. Who legally live here and pay taxes. Who are fed up with the migrant crisis.
Problem is it's not them so much but it's those who are rallying together to try and convince other Americans the problem is only going to get A LOT worse as long as we have Dems in office. From our President, to Congress, to Governors, to Mayors, to City Council/Aldermen, to Judges, etc.
Please see my last post. This is simply NOT an all-or-nothing thing.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:18 pm

#neverforget

+10000
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:15 pm

#neverforget
I don’t think you’ll find anyone saying that the status quo is desirable. But, I’m sorry, some (generally white middle-to-higher class) folks being inconvenienced does not, in my opinion, support the actions MAGAs want taken.
What actions are you referring to?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:24 pm

See, generally: https://time.com/6318177/border-crisis- ... an-debate/
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:33 pm
JKLivin wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:24 pm

See, generally: https://time.com/6318177/border-crisis- ... an-debate/
Yikes. Keeping people from coming into the country illegally? Wow. Pretty doggone radical.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:17 pm the shoe definitely seems to fit
Yeah trump was called a racist and a xenophobe wanting to build a wall a few years ago. Now look, the democrats want a wall. Because it was needed all along.

Why does trump end up being right about so much shit?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Trump is caught in this ignorant cycle where the dems play the political fodder game with all his ideas and comments. Their political spin gets regurgitated all over the internet/media and all the sheep eat it up.

Then a few years later logic/facts prevail over propanganda/feelings and people realize he was right. He wasn't being racist, he was just using basic common sense. But taking actions that would help the people/country instead of a corrupt government body

The wall is a perfect example of that
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:59 pm To me, it's a shame two intelligent people such as Over and Fish are minimizing it - or anything for that matter.
It's one of many examples of the factors in which people are getting fucked, and the Republicans can and will rally around and use as ammunition, that can (and will?) be the difference in the 2024 Elections.
You guys may not realize and feel it but there are a shitload of people who are pissed off right now because of the "migrant crisis" in this country. Many of those people happen to be Democrats.
Very good chance we are going to have a Republican President, majority House, and majority Senate and the "migrant crisis" might play a very big role in that.
I am not intentionally minimizing the issue.
I just know and understand what the core issues are in play.

I also believe that someone who isn’t or hasn’t been to our southern border should not make assessments based on the heavily tilted news that they see/hear/read.

Does anyone here NOT realize the amplification of “issues” with immigration were turned to 11 after Donnie J ascended the golden staircase?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

japhy wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:52 pm This go here?

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/r ... t-veterans

I aM oUtRageD!
As expected, another manufactured scandal
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:47 pm Trump is caught in this ignorant cycle where the dems play the political fodder game with all his ideas and comments. Their political spin gets regurgitated all over the internet/media and all the sheep eat it up.

Then a few years later logic/facts prevail over propanganda/feelings and people realize he was right. He wasn't being racist, he was just using basic common sense. But taking actions that would help the people/country instead of a corrupt government body

The wall is a perfect example of that
This is a perfect example of you reading tweets and stopping there.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

trump apologists are the best

all hail the wanna-be strongman authoritarian, who licks putin’s balls and gives kim the reach around
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

You got slapped in the face with reality by this border wall situation.

Are any of the democrats saying "I was wrong" or "I shouldn't have called trump racist"

Fuck no. They are lashing out and attacking people personally. It's what happens when there is no longer a political argument to be had

Should've built that wall years ago
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

(psst…take your victory lap once it actually gets built ;) )
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:33 pm You got slapped in the face with reality by this border wall situation.

Are any of the democrats saying "I was wrong" or "I shouldn't have called trump racist"

Fuck no. They are lashing out and attacking people personally. It's what happens when there is no longer a political argument to be had

Should've built that wall years ago
If you would bother to keep up with the board, let alone read actual news, you will see me and others criticizing Biden for this clearly-political move. You will also see reporting suggesting that, as a technical matter, this is being done with funds that do not appear to be re-routable elsewhere.

In any case, Trump's record on race speaks for itself.

And, in any case, spending billions on a wall that won't work in the first place is stupid, regardless of the color of the hat of whomever supports it.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Would you rather send that money to ukraine?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:34 pm Would you rather send that money to ukraine?
You people and your false dichotomies.

But yes, I do consider our interests better served by supporting Ukraine's defense as compared with building a wall across our southern border.