Battle 4 Atlantis Game Threads

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: Battle 4 Atlantis Game Threads

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:42 am 5-23 from Wilson and Dick equals loss.
Yup. Every time.

And that's okay. They won't have many of those.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I’m not so sure on that, we’re too easy to guard right now. Duke game did not ease any concerns. Jalen having to take 26 shots for 25 points and we still score in the 60’s is not a good recipe.

Jalen’s average is going to come back down to earth and we have to figure out how to still get to the high 60’s.
Jayhawkerr

Post by Jayhawkerr »

pdub wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:51 am I think Jayhawkerr means it’s been a long time since we haven’t had a good big returning.

So he agrees with you.
And he’s right.
We don’t have a ( prototypical ) skilled big on this team…yet.
Yes, returning big.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Well, unfortunately the roster we have doesn't have any logical plug and play options for scoring.

We are going to have to be a low 70s high 60s defensive oriented team most nights this year.

I like our "team", but the high end talent is lacking. Which leads into your comment about this teams ceiling. Gradey is probably the only guy on this team who has a lengthy NBA career as a rotation player. Maybe Jalen, but I don't see it due to the size/athletic ability of that NBA position. Udeh has size/length/athletic ability to get to the NBA for sure, but he'll have to actually become good at basketball, eventually, to stick around. Then the rest of the team basically seem like they could be very good, maybe great, college players.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Pettiford is a nice little player. But he needs to be surrounded by shooters. Him being a tiny non shooter on a team lacking shooting is an awful fit. I think yesefu getting those minutes is a good thing.

Mj rice might get a little more run out of this too. He ain't very good right now but just ooozes potential. Might be a good thing too
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:51 am Key word: RETURNING

good grief indeed.
Maybe we do. Wouldn't it be funny if cam Martin gets healthy and just starts getting buckets
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Overlander wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:39 pm We always seem to lose a game that on paper we shouldn’t lose late November.

Not suprised.

Plus, Norm is clearly the better coach
If losing to Tennessee in a November tournament is out worst loss of the season ill be thrilled
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:37 am Not that I'm all in on the Yes train, but I will say it was pretty exciting to see a guy at the 1 spot who actually shoots.

Dude checked in as a reserve in a low-scoring dumpster fire of a game and tied Dajuan's career high points

but yea, also 0 assists.

but yea but yea, I think we gotta get Yes up to speed in that poor-man's Remy role. Really no other choice with Bobby stored in bubble wrap for the foreseeable future.
Yesefu is our most talented guard (physical tools). Crazy athletic and can score. But hes frustrating as hell. Makes mistakes. But so do the other guys

He shouldve had some assists. I remember a couple drives and dishes that lead to open shots that got bricked
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

MJ needs to work on his shot. But otherwise has the tools.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yesufu is neither the most talented nor the most physically gifted of our guards. Those are also two different things.

I would love for him to find his game again, though. I do think that would change this team's ceiling.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

How do you figure not most physically gifted?

Yea he’s the smallest, but also prob the quickest first step, most explosive, strongest too.

Dajuan has the wingspan, but is not particularly quick, and built like a toothpick.

And Bobby just not durable.

Joe’s also got the best jumper of the 3, but that’s not saying much.

And not the most talented at defense or PG stuff, but the most talented overall scorer…but again, not saying much.

Coming off the bench in a dumpster fire of a game, dude just tied Dajuan’s career high points.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:50 am tell me who this mythical Center is that we were supposed to get. \
illy will say it's fake news

https://twitter.com/JayhawkFocus/status ... mryXStoF3Q
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm curious as to what happened with Sydney Curry. He wouldn't be a star here, and Louisville sucks, but he'd probably be our best or second best defensive rebounder.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I wonder if he got cold feet after we signed Cam.

Either way, so much of being an effective big man is just about creating space for others. Setting screens and holding position on the block and such.

I'm pretty sure the only big we have who even tries to do that stuff is Zach?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:08 pm I'm curious as to what happened with Sydney Curry. He wouldn't be a star here, and Louisville sucks, but he'd probably be our best or second best defensive rebounder.
Watched him a little last week. Slow AF. He'd be our most skilled big, but worst athletically. Except maybe Clemence.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Mjl wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:31 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:08 pm I'm curious as to what happened with Sydney Curry. He wouldn't be a star here, and Louisville sucks, but he'd probably be our best or second best defensive rebounder.
Watched him a little last week. Slow AF. He'd be our most skilled big, but worst athletically. Except maybe Clemence.
Sounds like he would be another option but not an answer. Forgot about him.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:11 pm Yesufu is neither the most talented nor the most physically gifted of our guards. Those are also two different things.

I would love for him to find his game again, though. I do think that would change this team's ceiling.
Yes is easily our most talented guard. Dajuan is just a lot better defender. Plays smarter. Plays more comfortable. Better wingspan

But yesefu is quicker by a lot. Stronger by a lot. More explosive by a lot. Better scorer by a lot

Dajuan is a better player. But yesefu has a lot of tools dajuan doesn't.

I dont think pettiford does anything better than them. One of either dajuan or yesefu is better than pettiford at everything
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I consider Rice a guard and he's both more talented and more physically gifted than Yesufu by miles.

I would also entertain the argument that Dajuan is more talented than Yesufu at this point. Better playmaker, passer, ballhandler, great in transition, and I trust him to finish at the rim in the half court more than I do Yesufu based on what we've seen so far from them. Defense isn't close, either.

The staff basically gave up on Yesufu as a PG, so that's a huge knock on Yes and his skill level. Yesufu is more explosive and has a better looking shot than Dajuan, but are we actually ever going to see it from him rather than just a spurt here or there? So far Yesufu is a guy that we wish we could get something from him because the team could really use it, but he hasn't done it. Kind of similar to a very young Elijah Johnson.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yea.
Yes is our flashiest guard.
Dejuan is more talented.
Rice more athletic.
And Pettiford I still prefer than Yes.

Yes is shooting mid 30 percent from the field. And mid 20s I think from 3. Which is better than last year. He isn’t a good passer either. Or defender.

He dribbles really fast with a great burst. That’s kinda it. Randy woulda been great friends with Al Davis.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm also far from a Dajuan fan. Was clearly on Team Remy last season and was pretty vocal about wanting the staff to recruit Kendric Davis. This team badly needs someone like Davis. I don't think that guy in on this roster. Would love for Yesufu to prove me wrong. My bet is if this team has some extra offense we've seen, it's going to come from Dick giving us even more and then also from Rice.