Recruiting 2019

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 89

Re: Recruiting 2019

Post by Deleted User 89 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:42 pm
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:59 pm Who is to say that Zion would dominate the G league?
Me. Look at devonte’s numbers there.
exactly what i was alluding to
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think there are some things you could do with the younger players in terms of marketing the product in the G League that would help sell it.
Change up the rules, promote fan involvement/engagement, go all in on tech on the court ( AR experiments ) - just saturate it the opposite direction of what college ball should be.
Give me the sunlight seeping through Allen Fieldhouse and others can watch the G League on ESPN+.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:41 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:42 pm
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:59 pm Who is to say that Zion would dominate the G league?
Me. Look at devonte’s numbers there.
exactly what i was alluding to
I think the better comparison is that G League is basically NBA summer league.

The overall talent is better than college, but it's not much in the way of a team game.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

TDub wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:26 pm Colleges have huge built in, existing, fanbases. The G league will never be able to compete with that.
You mean there are more Big Blue fans than Canton Charge tans?
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KU's transfer Portal watchlist:

Jahvon Quinerly, FR, Villanova
David Jenkins, SO, South Dakota State
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Quinerly comes with a lot of baggage. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

More than Malik did? Not arguing, just wondering.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I want to stay away from anyone linked to the FBI investigation, for our sake and his (we might get him a 2 year ban).

Also, I don't know much about about him other than his complaining about PT through social media. But, I gotta think if someone's not a good fit at Villanova with Jay Wright, they probably aren't a good fit for KU. Someone getting along better with Self than Howland didn't surprise me.

Also, I know Quinerly was a 5* like Newman, but he barely played...Newman was at least productive as a freshman.

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

the scuttlebutt is that pitt is the front-runner for quinerly

i'm looking, but what's the story with baggage?
edit: nevermind...thanks, phd. forgot his name was in the fbi mix
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:59 am the scuttlebutt is that pitt is the front-runner for quinerly

i'm looking, but what's the story with baggage?
edit: nevermind...thanks, phd. forgot his name was in the fbi mix
Eh, he was cleared to play (and did play). He's good to go.

[...]
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Too soon.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Do we really want any transfers? Have we not learned from Chaz Moore?

Quinerly stunk at Villanova...and had attitude problems...is that really who you want sitting on the bench for a year to become your (hopefully) backup PG? Illy will love his instagram posts though.

And Jenkins is a good scorer/shooter, but he's been doing it in the Summit league, maybe he's legit, but remember when we all wanted Joe Cremo to come to KU?

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:33 pm Do we really want any transfers? Have we not learned from Chaz Moore?

Quinerly stunk at Villanova...and had attitude problems...is that really who you want sitting on the bench for a year to become your (hopefully) backup PG? Illy will love his instagram posts though.

And Jenkins is a good scorer/shooter, but he's been doing it in the Summit league, maybe he's legit, but remember when we all wanted Joe Cremo to come to KU?
Newman. Withey. Black. Lawson.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Only if they don't scare off better recruits. We should have a lot of open schollies over the next couple seasons.

I'd rather take a grad-transfer big. Let 2020-21 work itself out later--it just sounds like, though, Bill is thinking we have 0 bodies in the backcourt for 20-21.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:35 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:33 pm Do we really want any transfers? Have we not learned from Chaz Moore?

Newman. Withey. Black. Lawson.
Quinerly seems like a poor man's Newman...which is too say, a rich man's Charlie moore.

Jenkins seems like a less gifted Vick..

Newman, Lawson, and Black all performed well at big time basketball schools. Withey was 7 feet tall.

If we're taking transfers, that means: A) more people leaving than what we all hope, B) nothing good about our HS recruiting.

Also, Black was a grad transfer...so you weren't eating up any scholarships on a guy who can't play. Which hurt us in 2018.

PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

Kevin young.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Kevin Young was great.

But recruiting Kevin Young type guys doesn't make me excited. Young played because freshman Ellis wasn't ready most of the year.

We're basically trying to fill out our roster and get guys, just in case we can't get more guys in a couple years or if guys leave early....I'd just prefer to do it with guys who can play NOW if needed. I'm glad, for example, we had Ochai rather than a transfer player this year.

Give me another Agbaji over another Kevin Young.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Hard to know what we need to be shopping for until we know about Grimes and Hurt (and, I guess, Doke, but I assume that's a lost cause).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I might be too cynical, but my overwhelming thought is that this is all reactionary to things not going hotly on the HS recruiting trail.

So, while PhD's argument makes sense, I don't think this is about the preferable recruiting plan anymore.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:57 pm I might be too cynical, but my overwhelming thought is that this is all reactionary to things not going hotly on the HS recruiting trail.

So, while PhD's argument makes sense, I don't think this is about the preferable recruiting plan anymore.
which is why, especially at the present time, I'm so opposed to it.

Because I don't like what it means for the state of the program, and I don't want my fears confirmed.