Battle 4 Atlantis Game Threads

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: Battle 4 Atlantis Game Threads

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:51 am Key word: RETURNING

good grief indeed.
It was in response to this:" Wishing they could have picked up a graduate transfer 5 player for this season."

If you're going to be an asshole, at least be right.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

For the sake of my argument I wasnt considering rice a guard. Hes more of a "3" a wing. Like Selden was. He will never play point thats for sure

Yesefu played some point last season and will have to again. Hes a scoring guard not a traditional point for sure. But that might not be a bad thing on this roster
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:21 pm I'm also far from a Dajuan fan. Was clearly on Team Remy last season and was pretty vocal about wanting the staff to recruit Kendric Davis. This team badly needs someone like Davis. I don't think that guy in on this roster. Would love for Yesufu to prove me wrong. My bet is if this team has some extra offense we've seen, it's going to come from Dick giving us even more and then also from Rice.
Feels like we are gonna have to live with yesefu making some mistakes. And hope for a poor man's Remy type role from him. And hope our defense can force enough mistakes to offset it. I think rice will have some flashy moments but probably not ready yet for any consistent production
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

you really really like Yes.

Ive said it before...but I hope you're right. I just don't see it. If we're hoping/asking Yes to be a significant contributor on a nightly basis I dont think we're going to be in a real great spot.
Just Ledoux it
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

TDub wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:36 pm you really really like Yes.

Ive said it before...but I hope you're right. I just don't see it. If we're hoping/asking Yes to be a significant contributor on a nightly basis I dont think we're going to be in a real great spot.
How do you feel about a 6'7 guy (who can't shoot) playing center all year?

And point guards who can't shoot
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I feel like that's a man of straw
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:16 pm For the sake of my argument I wasnt considering rice a guard. Hes more of a "3" a wing. Like Selden was. He will never play point thats for sure

Yesefu played some point last season and will have to again. Hes a scoring guard not a traditional point for sure. But that might not be a bad thing on this roster
Yeah, probably not a great idea to look at Rice, who never passes, as a backup PG.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:52 am
randylahey wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:16 pm For the sake of my argument I wasnt considering rice a guard. Hes more of a "3" a wing. Like Selden was. He will never play point thats for sure

Yeah, probably not a great idea to look at Rice, who never passes, as a backup PG.
We get it. You don't think Rice passes enough.

He's played in 4 games and has 18 total field goal attempts.

On a team where we need scoring, it's baffling to me why you'd be mad that he attempts field goals when he is on the floor. Which is exactly what we need him to do. Especially when JW and Gradey aren't out there.

Nothing like repeatedly shitting on a freshman who has been injured and sick for several games, and has barely had a chance to get comfortable/show what he can do. 🤡
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think we may have to confront some issue of whether we're better of with our 1 being a pass-first PG who's good at moving the ball but otherwise no instincts to score, or a score-first guard (or big guard/wing in Rice's case) who lacks PG skills but at least tries for buckets.

It might be some combo, even - 25 minutes with a true PG in, and 15 with more of a scorer in.

I think we could potentially get away with less of a true PG at the 1 considering above average ball skills in our wings. Mc and Jalen can both bring the ball up too, and might even be able to run some sets as well.

but I'm bearish on this team if the rest of this season (and next) will be all this fawning over how hard our pure PGs play, even tho they're both like career 4ppg guys, and even though the team they're running is struggling to break 60 points a game.

of course, if Jalen and Gradey can prove to be good enough offensive options that all Dajuan and Bobby have to do is get the the ball to them, then maybe this is moot.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

twocoach wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:52 am

You aren't wrong. he plays "aggresive" I was at the game he debuted in against north dakota state and we were joking about him being a black hole. every time he got the ball nobody else saw it
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

but. self will reign him in. he already has. he's a big athletic slasher on a team that struggles to score. rice being aggresive isn't completely a bad thing. he just needs to learn the game and when to pick his spots.

but none of you actually think he is a guard come on. He was just thrown in there cause people wanted to find a way to argue about yesefu being our most 'talented' guard
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:29 am I think we may have to confront some issue of whether we're better of with our 1 being a pass-first PG who's good at moving the ball but otherwise no instincts to score, or a score-first guard (or big guard/wing in Rice's case) who lacks PG skills but at least tries for buckets.

It might be some combo, even - 25 minutes with a true PG in, and 15 with more of a scorer in.

I think we could potentially get away with less of a true PG at the 1 considering above average ball skills in our wings. Mc and Jalen can both bring the ball up too, and might even be able to run some sets as well.

but I'm bearish on this team if the rest of this season (and next) will be all this fawning over how hard our pure PGs play, even tho they're both like career 4ppg guys, and even though the team they're running is struggling to break 60 points a game.

of course, if Jalen and Gradey can prove to be good enough offensive options that all Dajuan and Bobby have to do is get the the ball to them, then maybe this is moot.
It's just a lot of wasted energy to keep pointing out that Dajuan isn't a Steph Curry type scorer. There's not a scoring PG sitting on our bench this season. And we recruited 3 guards next season including a blue chip. It is what it is.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

randylahey wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:19 pmI think rice will have some flashy moments but probably not ready yet for any consistent production
This would be a (very) nice way to describe Yesufu's time at KU.

Rice has a significantly higher ceiling as an off-guard. We've barely seen him. Let's see more.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:40 am Rice has a significantly higher ceiling as an off-guard. We've barely seen him. Let's see more.
I hope he has the patience to put in the work and stick it out until his time comes.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

randylahey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:38 am
but none of you actually think he is a guard come on. He was just thrown in there cause people wanted to find a way to argue about yesefu being our most 'talented' guard
Position: Guard

https://kuathletics.com/roster/mj-rice/ ... 0%E2%80%A6

# 11 G ( G stands for guard )

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... 59/mj-rice
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:27 am
randylahey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:38 am
Position: Guard

https://kuathletics.com/roster/mj-rice/ ... 0%E2%80%A6

# 11 G ( G stands for guard )

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... 59/mj-rice
Lets put the ball in his hands then and watch him initiate some offense for us then. If you really think that

Think we all know basketball is becoming positionless but self basically uses 3 kind of players. Guards wings and bigs. From what I've seen of rice he fits more of the off the ball wing type of player

I also listed McCormack at a F last year. He sure as fuck wasn't a small forward or power forward. Played center 100 percent of the time
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:40 am
randylahey wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:19 pmI think rice will have some flashy moments but probably not ready yet for any consistent production
This would be a (very) nice way to describe Yesufu's time at KU.

Rice has a significantly higher ceiling as an off-guard. We've barely seen him. Let's see more.
I'm a big fan of rice's potential. Im all for rice and yesefu being our perimeter players off the bench. Even once pettiford gets healthy

I pointed out a couple days ago was the one silver lining of that Tennessee game was those guys getting more time. Especially rice, who has barely played
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

randylahey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:52 am Im all for rice and yesefu being our perimeter players off the bench. Even once pettiford gets healthy
Well they're quite literally the only two bench options at the 2, so not exactly a limb. But, this continues to ignore the fact that Yesufu has shown 0 ability and the staff has almost no confidence in him playing PG.

Yesufu has to step up the next two weeks if he wants to play a role this season. Otherwise, it could soon be time to just play McCullar 35+ minutes including backup PG duties. And then Rice should get the opportunity at the 2. Even for this season, he has the most potential to be a bench scoring threat.
Deleted User 863

McCullar has shown me NOTHING that gives me confidence in him being backup PG. He turns the ball over way too much.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:10 pm McCullar has shown me NOTHING that gives me confidence in him being backup PG. He turns the ball over way too much.
Well then you'll get the same question I posed to ousdahl: do we think Mike Miles will be available at the trade deadline?

Other than Harris, McCullar has the most experience playing PG. It's that or Yesufu, so let's discuss confidence in those players.