Battle 4 Atlantis Game Threads

Kansas Basketball.
randylahey

Re: Battle 4 Atlantis Game Threads

Post by randylahey »

There is a reason we have a bunch of guards coming in next season.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:07 pm
randylahey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:52 am Im all for rice and yesefu being our perimeter players off the bench. Even once pettiford gets healthy
Well they're quite literally the only two bench options at the 2, so not exactly a limb. But, this continues to ignore the fact that Yesufu has shown 0 ability and the staff has almost no confidence in him playing PG.

Yesufu has to step up the next two weeks if he wants to play a role this season. Otherwise, it could soon be time to just play McCullar 35+ minutes including backup PG duties. And then Rice should get the opportunity at the 2. Even for this season, he has the most potential to be a bench scoring threat.
Rice hasn't shown anything yet. You're making that assumption just based off his recruiting hype. Has Rice ever even played the 2 yet? Weve' typically always had some combination of dajuan, pettiford, yesefu, and mccullar out there. and Rice typically comes in for dick and plays the 3

I really like his potential too. and want him to play minutes. but rice isn't a very good shooter or playmaker yet. hes just big strong athletic for a guard/wing and can finish around the rim
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

randylahey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:25 pm There is a reason we have a bunch of guards coming in next season.
Bobby being made of glass is one of the bigger ones.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

But you are right the next couple weeks are make or break for yesefu. hopefully he mans up. cause so far pettiford both years has looked poised the first few weeks of the season when we are playing emporia state and south dakota. but once we start playing better competition where he isn't quicker than his opponents he gets exposed as a tiny turnover prone guard who can't shoot and can't really be played.

last year when he checked in during big 12 play it was a nightmare. he play maybe 3 minutes pick up 2 fouls 2 turnovers and we would go from being up 8 to a tie game

there are things i like about pettiford's game but being a tiny guard that can't shoot is a bad bad combination. especially when he is mistake prone
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:30 pm
randylahey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:25 pm There is a reason we have a bunch of guards coming in next season.
Bobby being made of glass is one of the bigger ones.
before his freshman season self said he was the next great KU guard and I still don't see it. Maybe self was expecting him to develop a jumpshot too. He ain't frank mason. Frank could shoot the lights out

Self also said early in Jamari's career that Jamari would play in the NBA. sometimes potential isn't always realized or projected accurately
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

You can't count on him only because he can't stay healthy. When he's healthy, he's pretty dang consistent but not outstanding. Hard for him to find any kind of season rhythm. I read that he hasn't played more than half a season since his sophomore year of HS. Maybe it was Jr. year., but it is at least the last 3 seasons he has missed significant time.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:17 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:10 pm McCullar has shown me NOTHING that gives me confidence in him being backup PG. He turns the ball over way too much.
Well then you'll get the same question I posed to ousdahl: do we think Mike Miles will be available at the trade deadline?

Other than Harris, McCullar has the most experience playing PG. It's that or Yesufu, so let's discuss confidence in those players.
What confidence?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Injuries suck. Good thing have elmarko Jackson coming in next year. So we can all bitch about why our "most talented point guard" isn't playing over dajuan or maybe pettiford/yesefu. Bitching about why elmarko is fucking up and making freshman mistakes

Its really tough to be a point guard at kansas. Perfection is expected and everything you do is put under a microscope.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Remy caught fire in the tournament and helped us win a title. But he was bitched about non stop last season. And was about as polarizing of a player as we've had in awhile cause of his injuries and up and down season
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

One thing nobody has mentioned is with pettiford out a few weeks. We still have Kyle cuffe buried on the bench. Small chance he might get a shot to play some minutes too. Not like he's gonna be our savior. But he is another raw but talented prospect
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

we need production from clemence.

dh is one of the best pg in college basketball. if he suffered a lengthy injury, our season would be over. He is one of two players on our roster we cannot play without.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

randylahey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:38 pm One thing nobody has mentioned is with pettiford out a few weeks. We still have Kyle cuffe buried on the bench. Small chance he might get a shot to play some minutes too. Not like he's gonna be our savior. But he is another raw but talented prospect
I am beginning to think he is a bust at KU. Next year he has been recruited over imo. I assume this is his last year at KU.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:37 pm
randylahey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:38 pm One thing nobody has mentioned is with pettiford out a few weeks. We still have Kyle cuffe buried on the bench. Small chance he might get a shot to play some minutes too. Not like he's gonna be our savior. But he is another raw but talented prospect
I am beginning to think he is a bust at KU. Next year he has been recruited over imo. I assume this is his last year at KU.
You could've said that about Travis releford, Brady Morningstar, landen Lucas or Jeff Withey at the same point in their career. Maybe he will transfer. But hes a redshirt freshman. Crazy to think he's bust already

Cuffe was a 4 star recruit too. Next year when the freshman get here he has 2 years of experience over them
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

randylahey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:33 pm
You could've said that about Travis releford, Brady Morningstar, landen Lucas or Jeff Withey at the same point in their career. Maybe he will transfer. But hes a redshirt freshman. Crazy to think he's bust already

Cuffe was a 4 star recruit too. Next year when the freshman get here he has 2 years of experience over them
As a 4 star recruit he's had an awfully hard time getting ahead of some not so talented guards ahead of him. He's been unable to challenge Yesufu or Bobby for their minutes, and after 2 years at KU already, I don't think it's unfair to think this just isn't a good fit for him. Especially with who we have coming in next year.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cuffe was an early offer. Very athletic and the son of a (huge) pretty good college player.

Staff thought he’d grow and he just didn’t. Not really a bust but just some misfortune. I do think he’s a transfer candidate, but he was worth the offer and taking a chance on.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I think cuffe pettiford and yesefu are all transfer candidates. No way all 3 come back
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:41 pm
randylahey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:33 pm

As a 4 star recruit he's had an awfully hard time getting ahead of some not so talented guards ahead of him. He's been unable to challenge Yesufu or Bobby for their minutes, and after 2 years at KU already, I don't think it's unfair to think this just isn't a good fit for him. Especially with who we have coming in next year.
I mean pettiford was a 4 star recruit too. And yesefu was a big time transfer who put up big numbers in the ncaa tourney. They aren't exactly scrubs. At KU you're held to a golden standard. But he cuffe redshirt last year. And as an inexperienced freshman he's trying to beat out guys who have already played some.

I agree he could transfer. But wayyyyyyy too early to call him a bust
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:33 am
twocoach wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:52 am
randylahey wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:16 pm For the sake of my argument I wasnt considering rice a guard. Hes more of a "3" a wing. Like Selden was. He will never play point thats for sure

Yesefu played some point last season and will have to again. Hes a scoring guard not a traditional point for sure. But that might not be a bad thing on this roster
Yeah, probably not a great idea to look at Rice, who never passes, as a backup PG.
You aren't wrong. he plays "aggresive" I was at the game he debuted in against north dakota state and we were joking about him being a black hole. every time he got the ball nobody else saw it
He's really good for what he does well. We just can't expect him to be something he isn't. I think Caleb Love of UNC is a similar "black hole" type of player who never passes either but who is great at scoring. If he takes good shots and makes them at an acceptable clip then two thumbs up, especially for this team that can struggle to score at times.

There aren't any teams in the sport who are built to win games when their #1 PG fouls out with 8 minutes left and their #2 PG goes out with an injury.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

randylahey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:54 pm I think cuffe pettiford and yesefu are all transfer candidates. No way all 3 come back
There's a reason why Bill is attacking the PG and combo guards heavy in this recruiting cycle.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Way early on this, but I'm far from thinking this is a Final Four type season/team. So, if you can bring some of the older guys back, you have a great chance of being preseason #1 on having like a 35+ win season.

I would think Gradey could garner $500k - $1m in NIL deals. He's also a prospect that's never going to fall out of the first round, so it's not quite as strike while the iron is hot as some OAD's.