Recruiting 2019

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: Recruiting 2019

Post by PhDhawk »

You were one of the most vocal critics of vick for doing nothing but shooting. Now you want to use 3 scholarships for two years of playing on a shorter less athletic version of the same guy?

Not everyone adjusts to a higher level of play the same way. Steph curry put up huge numbers in college snd it translated to the nba adam Morrison and jimmer put up gaudy numbers but couldn't stick in the nba.

With Self, if there's a question about whether a guy can play PG, I think it's safe to assume, he won't be playing PG.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I never once said KU should go get him, or he's the top of the wishlist, or anything like that. I simply countered your discrediting him for the simple reason of which conference he currently plays in.

I also never criticized Vick for doing nothing but shooting. It was his best attribute outside of a pure athleticism that he didn't like to use for whatever reason. Asking him to not let his shooting dictate the rest of his game is different than criticizing him for doing nothing but shoot. He often mentally checked out of games and had a lot of defensive lapses. More often than not, those were directly related to how he was shooting that game or if he was getting enough shots.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Also, questioning if he can play the one doesn't mean he can't. Just that he hasn't been asked too. He's played the last 2 years with an experienced 3 year starter playing the point. He was better suited for that team to play off the ball.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:54 am
I also never criticized Vick for doing nothing but shooting.
NDballer13 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:07 am
pdub wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:59 am
NDballer13 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:55 am Ok, but still didn't answer the question. Other that inconsistent scoring numbers, what does he bring to make him "above average" in the Self era?
Shoots 47 and 46 percent from 3 his last 2 years. Inconsistent.
1/3 of his makes came during 3 games, he's played 23, where he shot 71%. Consistent.

Let's also just ignore the fact I asked for something that wasn't scoring, and you replying with scoring stats.
NDballer13 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:13 am
pdub wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:11 am

1/3 of his makes came during 3 games, he's played 23, where he shot 71%. Consistent.

Let's also just ignore the fact I asked for something that wasn't scoring, and you replying with scoring stats.
5 of his games this year he scored fewer than 10 points.
Again, other than scoring.........

And 4 of those 5 were less than 7. One being zero.

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

HCBS said just the other day that 3 or 4 schollies could open up to us in the next week or so. Possible transfers and or kids declaring for the draft.

Gotta use those on somebody. At this point the pickings can be slim.

If the kid can play the kid can play. I don't care what conference he is transferring from. As long as he can play.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:01 am Also, questioning if he can play the one doesn't mean he can't. Just that he hasn't been asked too. He's played the last 2 years with an experienced 3 year starter playing the point. He was better suited for that team to play off the ball.
It's not an issue of whether he CAN play PG. Self never let's SGs who could play PG play there more thsn spot minutes. Selden, Garrett, Newman, etc. Self would rather play a guy 40 minutes that have a non PG fill in at that spot.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:14 am HCBS said just the other day that 3 or 4 schollies could open up to us in the next week or so. Possible transfers and or kids declaring for the draft.

Gotta use those on somebody. At this point the pickings can be slim.

If the kid can play the kid can play. I don't care what conference he is transferring from. As long as he can play.
Transfers can't play...not for a year.

NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:12 am
NDballer13 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:54 am
I also never criticized Vick for doing nothing but shooting.
pdub wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:59 am

Shoots 47 and 46 percent from 3 his last 2 years. Inconsistent.

NDballer13 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:13 am
pdub wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:11 am

5 of his games this year he scored fewer than 10 points.
Again, other than scoring.........

And 4 of those 5 were less than 7. One being zero.
Quote the entire thread so you can get the context in there. That thread was 63 pages long and you picked 2 posts. Props for finding them fairly quick though.

Quick summary of the context, IIRC.
Vick's leadership is mentioned. The reply to that was he shoots the 3 really well.
Vick's attitude is mentioned. The reply to that was he's the 2nd leading scorer.
Vick's effort is mentioned. The reply to that was that his scoring is needed.

Not sure why you drug Vick into this conversation anyway, but oh well.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

It's pretty obvious. You bitched and moaned that vick didn't do enough other than scoring. This guy scores and does little else and you're here defending him.

NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:16 am
NDballer13 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:01 am Also, questioning if he can play the one doesn't mean he can't. Just that he hasn't been asked too. He's played the last 2 years with an experienced 3 year starter playing the point. He was better suited for that team to play off the ball.
It's not an issue of whether he CAN play PG. Self never let's SGs who could play PG play there more thsn spot minutes. Selden, Garrett, Newman, etc. Self would rather play a guy 40 minutes that have a non PG fill in at that spot.
He's not a SG though. If you're going to compare him to a former KU player it's Sherron Collins. He's a PG with the mentality to score first. Like I said, he just wasn't asked to play the prototypical PG at SDSU because they had a Senior 3 year starter playing 30 minutes a game already doing that.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:35 am It's pretty obvious. You bitched and moaned that vick didn't do enough other than scoring. This guy scores and does little else and you're here defending him.
You're still missing the point of what I'm defending. It's not what he brings to a team. It's why you think he's less of a player just because the school he's currently at.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

How many games have you seen Jenkins play? My guess is one, when they played KU early last season. If you have seen him play then you'd understand how ridiculous it is to compare him to Vick and say he does little else.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

My point is, he's not a sure thing. This isn't a Dedric Lawson situation where the guy has been playing high level ball against high level competition who sits out a year and then is pre-season CPOY and AA. 20 ppg at SDSU isn't the same as 20 ppg at Memphis.

So, we're taking a chance. I'd rather take a chance on someone who's eligible right away. I'd rather have a HS guy ranked 100+ who is able to play right away. The past two years have shown that it doesn't help to have ineligible guys sitting on the bench when injuries or leaves of absence happen.

You can miss on a transfer or a HS player. But if you miss on a HS player (Merv Lindsay for example) you waste one scholarship. If you miss on a transfer (Charlie Moore for example) you waste two years of sholarship, one where the guy can't even play if you're in an emergency.

My point in bringing up his conference, was that this guy's not a sure bet. Lots of guys fail moving up that far. Could he be good, sure, but I wouldn't bet on it. And if you're taking a chance on a guy, it's better to minimize your commitment to him.

If we do take transfers, I hope we limit it to one. Having 3 transfers was awful...especially since only one of them turned out to be as good as we'd hoped.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:10 am Yes

But it's not necessary to go to brookings to recognize that the big12 is a big jump up in terms of level of play.
Meh, they said the same thing about Dedric Lawson's numbers at Memphis.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:42 am How many games have you seen Jenkins play? My guess is one, when they played KU early last season. If you have seen him play then you'd understand how ridiculous it is to compare him to Vick and say he does little else.
Several. Mike Daum got SDSU on tv a lot.

But, his most relevant games would be those he played against big12 teams, and he was pretty quiet against us but that was early in his career. He really shit the bed against Texas though, which was his last game. He also had a poor showing in his NCAA tourney game against Ohio St.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:53 am
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:10 am Yes

But it's not necessary to go to brookings to recognize that the big12 is a big jump up in terms of level of play.
Meh, they said the same thing about Dedric Lawson's numbers at Memphis.
There's a bigger difference in level of play between SDSU and Memphis than there is between Memphis and KU.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

You're right, the Vick comparison was a mistake.

Vick did way more than scoring relative to what Jenkins does.

https://herosports.com/colleges/sports/ ... erald-vick

NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:13 pm You're right, the Vick comparison was a mistake.

Might as well compare Daum to Dotson while you're at it, since were comparing 2 players who wouldn't even be considered the same position.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:05 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:13 pm You're right, the Vick comparison was a mistake.

Might as well compare Daum to Dotson while you're at it, since were comparing 2 players who wouldn't even be considered the same position.
Guard

NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:54 am
Several. Mike Daum got SDSU on tv a lot.
ESPN3 doesn't count as on tv a lot. They played 3 total games on national TV. Last year's Summit title game, NCAA, and this year's NIT game.

Than again, maybe you have Midco Cable as well, because they were on there quite a bit.