Violence

Ugh.
Mjl

Re: Violence

Post by Mjl »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:12 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:47 am Oh come on, why expect Mericans to actually condemn the bigotry when we’ve got Aesop’s Fables instead?
I don't know why I'm responding to this, it's between you and mjl. and honestly talking to you is about as much fun as talking to a wall, but I'll try it anyway.

Here's an example of how the type of thing you and mjl are talking about can be a problem.

Pretend Chad had a large group of terrorists making threats against the US. Person A thinks there should be stricter rules for getting people from Chad to get a travel visa to the US. Person A's sole reason for thinking this is due to the terrorist threat and has nothing to with race. Person B is a notorious racist, they are going to likely support this idea whether the terror threat is real or not. They might even say racist shit when they talk about supporting it. Person C, who is a journalist, doesn't think we should support the ban either because they think the terrorist threat is exaggerated or aren't aware that it exists. Person C heard person B talking about it at a speech at a rally, then person C writes an article stating that he's against the stricter visa rules because it's racist and the only reason for the increased security is an attempt to make it even harder for POC to come to the US. You read this, assume it's true, and then lump anyone who supports a stricter Visa process for people from Chad as a racist.

But where does that leave person A. He came to his conclusion with no basis on race...he's supposed to abandon his ideals and logical conclusion because a racist agrees with him based on separate racist ideologies.

Calling someone a racist, when they're not being racist is a big problem.

Further, a lot of things get called racist that shouldn't. That term is a big one. Things like cultural appropriation, or being racially insensitive, or not using a politically correct term are not in and of themselves racist. And calling them that diminishes the power of the word.

Even further, I've met lots of racist left-wing progressive liberal democrats, and it would be silly for me to claim that you and Trad were racists by association and should leave the party or else you're also racist. And while I admit that as a party, the Republicans have done an abysmal job of distancing themselves from racism, in fact, in many cases, they've embraced it which is part of why I've distanced myself from them. You're really painting with broad strokes, and in doing so, you're unintentionally stifling information that should be part of the conversation.
Because you did a much better job of making my point than I did.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Sure.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

it was ordered by capitol police, but i guess facts still don’t matter to some on the right
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I wonder how many times our troops were forced to sleep in a parking lot in Iraq?

If you really wanna treat troops with respect, you'd bring 'em home.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:53 am I wonder how many times our troops were forced to sleep in a parking lot in Iraq?

If you really wanna treat troops with respect, you'd bring 'em home.
When they got brought home recently there was an uproar on here about destabilizing and irresponsibility.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Was there?

I don’t remember it, but don’t doubt it either.

I’m pretty sure I’ve been pretty consistently “bring em home” ever since my first liberal thought I can remember: laying in bed recovering from hernia surgery in HS when the TV announced we’re invading Iraq
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:37 am Was there?

I’m pretty sure I’ve been pretty consistently “bring em home” ever since my first liberal thought I can remember: laying in bed recovering from hernia surgery in HS when the TV announced we’re invading Iraq
sdoyel wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:53 pm Trump ordering major troop drawdown by Jan 15 in Afghanistan and Iraq.

SMH.

This is just the first comment that popped up about it but there was a resistance to the move. Likely simply because of the person who ordered it
Just Ledoux it
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Look, of course we want our troops home, but not at the cost of security concerns.

You have current military leaders questioning those very moves.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 89

i’ve always been against oil wars, which, let’s face it, is really all those skirmishes in the mid-east are about

that, and bad blood that stems from us sticking our nose in places we shouldn’t have decades ago
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah.

I think W maaaybe actually believed it was about getting back at the guys who beefed with his daddy.

But yeah, everyone else knew it was about oil.

Meanwhile, Dick Cheney laughed all the way to the bank.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

TDub wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:41 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:37 am Was there?

sdoyel wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:53 pm Trump ordering major troop drawdown by Jan 15 in Afghanistan and Iraq.

SMH.

This is just the first comment that popped up about it but there was a resistance to the move. Likely simply because of the person who ordered it

Sorry your boy lost.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

sdoyel wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:57 am Look, of course we want our troops home, but not at the cost of security concerns.

You have current military leaders questioning those very moves.
I guess we were fortunate to have a Commander-In-Chief who knew more about it than all those Generals
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Deleted User 89

poor guy

lol
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:27 pm poor guy

lol
https://youtu.be/65rp71bFWGg

Theres always a relevant George Jones song
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

https://www.kktv.com/2021/01/23/feds-co ... -be-beaten

A freaking geophysicist ruins his life by falling for the Cult of Trump lies.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

twocoach wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:58 am https://www.kktv.com/2021/01/23/feds-co ... -be-beaten

A freaking geophysicist ruins his life by falling for the Cult of Trump lies.
He was white. Intoxicated with it. So not much of a scientist but rather a technician. Race is a garbage concept.