Battle 4 Atlantis Game Threads

Kansas Basketball.
randylahey

Re: Battle 4 Atlantis Game Threads

Post by randylahey »

twocoach wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:43 am
randylahey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:33 am
twocoach wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:52 am

Yeah, probably not a great idea to look at Rice, who never passes, as a backup PG.
You aren't wrong. he plays "aggresive" I was at the game he debuted in against north dakota state and we were joking about him being a black hole. every time he got the ball nobody else saw it
He's really good for what he does well. We just can't expect him to be something he isn't. I think Caleb Love of UNC is a similar "black hole" type of player who never passes either but who is great at scoring. If he takes good shots and makes them at an acceptable clip then two thumbs up, especially for this team that can struggle to score at times.

There aren't any teams in the sport who are built to win games when their #1 PG fouls out with 8 minutes left and their #2 PG goes out with an injury.
How is he "really good" ?? So far he's played in 4 games. Averaging 3pts off of 33% shooting. He's a prospect with a lot to learn
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:07 am
randylahey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:54 pm I think cuffe pettiford and yesefu are all transfer candidates. No way all 3 come back
There's a reason why Bill is attacking the PG and combo guards heavy in this recruiting cycle.
Also could sway a transfer from one of those guys if they are on the fence about it. Elmarko and Chris Johnson are a pretty legit guard tandem coming in. Jamari McDowell is no slouch either
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

randylahey wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:13 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:43 am
randylahey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:33 am

You aren't wrong. he plays "aggresive" I was at the game he debuted in against north dakota state and we were joking about him being a black hole. every time he got the ball nobody else saw it
He's really good for what he does well. We just can't expect him to be something he isn't. I think Caleb Love of UNC is a similar "black hole" type of player who never passes either but who is great at scoring. If he takes good shots and makes them at an acceptable clip then two thumbs up, especially for this team that can struggle to score at times.

There aren't any teams in the sport who are built to win games when their #1 PG fouls out with 8 minutes left and their #2 PG goes out with an injury.
How is he "really good" ?? So far he's played in 4 games. Averaging 3pts off of 33% shooting. He's a prospect with a lot to learn
It's pretty unfair considering he's barely played and has not been healthy all season.

But, yet, it's time to see what he can give us because this team's not going to go very far if it can't find another scorer. At this point, Rice is as good of a candidate as anyone. Yes, anyone.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Exactly. It's unfair to label him as "really good" before he's done anything. Im a huge believer in mj rice's potential i just know his game has a lot of growth between now and then
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We're never going to see Rice's full potential here. Let's see what we can get from/out of him while we do have him. It's better than not having any scorers off the bench. Nothing to lose. Need something from someone.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Rice's best has a good chance at being better than Yes's best just simply because we have a good amount of data on what Yes brings to the table.

Next five regular season games we should be trying our best to get Rice clock.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Agreed on rice. I could see him being one of those freshman that improve at a rapid pace. Especially once he figures out how to move the ball and function within our offense
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

The one downside is he isn't a great shooter. So its another non-shooter on the floor with other non-shooters
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I've assumed rice is probably a 2 and done guy. Flashes potential this year. Likely has a monster sophomore break out year. Mccullar dick and Wilson all likely gone so rice will be our stud on the wing next year
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea, hoping we can get the new guys some reps the next few games particularly.

I know we lost a lot of our production to graduation and the draft, but we still have a lot of upperclassmen on this roster (Jalen, Dajuan, Mc, Yes, Cam) and/or a lot of dudes with at least a year in the program either way (Yes, KJ, Kyle, Bobby, Cam, Zach). That's to say, we had plenty of known commodities going into this season, and I didn't necessarily think of this season as one that hinges so significantly on sitting around waiting and hoping the freshies get up to speed. Or maybe I did, I dunno.

Yea Rice is as good a candidate as anyone, and would be better than not having any scorers off the bench. But the thing about not having any scorers off the bench is, we barely have any scorers in the starting lineup to begin with. It's like Self made some late night bar bet to see how many "not a scorer, but..." sorts of players he could get on the same roster all at once.

But, sheesh, it's November, I need to stop melting down this hard.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The upperclassmen (minus Cam, no reason to include him) returning raised the floor for this team. It's like, at worst, a 5-seed type floor. That's really high for a defending champ.

Getting the McD AA's going is what will raise the ceiling. 2-seed or higher if they play like OAD-types.

It's crazy that so many fans don't realize how much we lost. We literally have no talent replacements for Remy and Dave. Think about their contributions from late February to April. And then consider Och was getting 2nd/3rd place NPOY votes. Gradey might be more naturally talented, but CB still went in the first round and was an old, very experienced, high BBIQ junior. And that was a team that everyone thought was one of Bill's least talented ever. I never understood the Top 5 expectations.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea, no talent replacements for Remy and Dave, and those are the most difficult positions to replace.

It seems wings are slightly easier to plug-and-play for Self.

and I'm torn about whether to include Cam. On one hand, I dunno if anyone ever expected much from a D2 transfer. But on the other hand, how often are we gonna give a scholly to a senior transfer UNLESS we expect them to contribute? Especially considering Cam likely scared off Curry, a tank of a big man who averaged 7.1 and 4.4 for Louisville last year.

(just for what little comparative purposes it might have, Mitch averaged 4.6 and 2.8 last year...not that Curry would have necessarily been better for us, and not that it ended up mattering either way)
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I never understood the Top 5 expectations."

Neither did I.
I'm thinking 2021 kind of good.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

If Curry was scared away by Cam that says an awful lot about Curry.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:16 pm "I never understood the Top 5 expectations."

Neither did I.
I did.

AA candidate in JW.

2 of the best individual defenders in the country in DH and KM.

Maybe the best shooter in the country in Gradey.

Best coach in the country.

I've watched just about every top 15-20 team in the country by now, and every single one has weaknesses. None look elite.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

no team looks elite because it is november on the calendar.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'd be shocked if Cam and Curry had anything to do with each other, but it does seem like Curry would be playing this season, a lot right now, and I don't think Cam sniffs the court this season.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so then the question becomes, why did we burn 2 years of scholarships on a guy who was never expected to play more than a walk-on role.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

practice squad needs big bodies too

and ones that can shoot and spread the floor would seem to have some commonalities with potential opponents
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

if Cam and Curry DID have anything to do with each other, maybe it was less Curry getting cold feet because of Cam, and more the staff telling Curry that we're giving that scholly to Cam instead.