2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Kansas Basketball.
Back2Lawrence

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Post by Back2Lawrence »

KUTradition wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:33 pm if nobody is playing behind nobody, then who is starting?
Maybe a no names a jersey policy should be adopted. Because aren’t the players plug, pay, and play now anyway?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

That's exactly what I have been talking about.

It's not just about the fan experience. This model doesn't produce wins either.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:16 am
twocoach wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:58 am Udeh hitting the transfer portal. What a dumb, impatient decision.
Very very impatient. But these kids don't want to sit.
But he was fine with it when he committed to Kansas, that's what I don't get. I doubt he came here expecting to start his sophomore season. Who knows, maybe he got a call from another program offering him a fat stack of NIL money.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:22 am
pdub wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:24 am My guess is KU is likely to land Mgbako which could squeeze more minutes out of the bench ( just rotating players around ).

Udeh probably found this out, saw that Self was likely going to play more mobile 4's, and there was no way he'd be getting any other minutes besides spelling Hunter "i'm so courageous" Dickinson.
I think Mgbako is the wildcard here.

Losing Udeh is a lot tougher than losing Zuby - much easier to find Zubies (?) than Udehs. I think Udeh was in line for a Thomas Robinson-type trajectory.

BUT - if we're really recruiting over him twice in the same offseason, including with a guy who is pretty sure to be here in 24-25...I get the decision to leave.

I also continue to think/hope that we're still in this weird transitional period, digesting BOTH money and freedom of movement changes all at once. I very much do think/hope that it won't be quite like this forever.
Mgbako is a 6'8" jump shooting wing. He isn't cutting into Udeh's minutes.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Mjl wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:48 pm

i’m with you in spirit and speculation

just like cal with a team full of 1-and-done frosh, what tang did at statie last year seems to be an outlier…lightening in a bottle

time will tell, obviously, but part of me thinks that Self and co. going so hard in the portal might have been an over-/knee-jerk reaction to last season’s liabilities
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Mjl wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:48 pm

I think it’s TBD if this model produces wins. The Kitties just made an elite 8 using an approximation of what KU is experiencing this year.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Minus the coaching change, obviously
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:51 pm
pdub wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:24 am My guess is KU is likely to land Mgbako which could squeeze more minutes out of the bench ( just rotating players around ).

Udeh probably found this out, saw that Self was likely going to play more mobile 4's, and there was no way he'd be getting any other minutes besides spelling Hunter "i'm so courageous" Dickinson.

Losing Udeh is a lot tougher than losing Zuby - much easier to find Zubies (?) than Udehs. I think Udeh was in line for a Thomas Robinson-type trajectory.

BUT - if we're really recruiting over him twice in the same offseason, including with a guy who is pretty sure to be here in 24-25...I get the decision to leave.

I also continue to think/hope that we're still in this weird transitional period, digesting BOTH money and freedom of movement changes all at once. I very much do think/hope that it won't be quite like this forever.
He is if we’re always going to play four-out.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Short on bigs...again.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I've heard he's a bit slow and not much of a ball handler - seems like more of a 4, in which case it would eat into Udeh's minutes, because KJ is going to play a lot.

So with Mgbako out there, I would think it would often be with Dickinson on the bench - and KJ would be the backup 5. As in, KJ I think will be both the starting 4 and the backup 5 with Mgbako here.

There's a reason Udeh entered the portal today, not last week
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

jfish26 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:57 pm

So much more concise than my retort, man
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

How about we keep Udeh and Zuby and add Mgbako and play four-in:

Juan, KJ, Dickinson, Udeh, and Mgbako, with Zuby backing up everyone.

Run the old high-high-low-low.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Self doesn't do anything "always". Udeh was good enough to play good minutes this year and to start next year if he stuck with it.

Like I said, I'm certain that Self tells these guys as recruits that KU will ALWAYS be looking to bring in the best available talent every year and that no minutes are guaranteed to them without putting in the work. If they were fine with it then but not fine with it one year later then GTFO in my opinion.
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

Mjl wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:06 pm This is going to be self-defeating.

Part of the appeal of college athletics is seeing guys grow over the years. You're going to lose fans with this approach, and are going to lose income, and lose the ability to buy top guys.
Obviously no one knows for sure, but I really think you and others are dead wrong about this. You may lose some hardline traditionalists who can't bear to see athletes make money and switch teams more freely, but having a more active and exciting offseason generates interest. More fans being able to dream on their teams after landing some key transfers generates interest. The ability for teams at the top of the sport to add recognizable stars generates interest.

These are big changes to how college basketball operates, but my guess is that it will grow interest, or at the very least, not diminish it. Happy to admit I was wrong if it plays out like you say.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

ChicagoHawk wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:09 pm

Part of the appeal of college athletics is seeing guys grow over the years. You're going to lose fans with this approach, and are going to lose income, and lose the ability to buy top guys.

These are big changes to how college basketball operates, but my guess is that it will grow interest, or at the very least, not diminish it. Happy to admit I was wrong if it plays out like you say.
Me too, conversely, as one who is uneasy (and admittedly from a curmudgeonly viewpoint) about a sport I really like.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

One of the other bigs might have stayed if they had known Udeh was leaving.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

As much as i'd like that to happen, I don't think it will.
There's a lot of BWW Chad's who lock in during tournament time.

If you're talking specifically Kansas, I think you may loose more, yes, because Kansas fans tend to be more emotionally invested in seeing guys for four years.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:12 pm If this aggressive NIL/portal approach yields us a bunch of Ws and FFs in the next few years, that’s all fans will care about.
Many fans, sure.
Not all fans.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

this is frustrating
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Right.
There might be smaller lineups where Mgbako can play the '4' at spots and KJ slides to the 5 if Hunter needs a breather or is in foul trouble.