This team...

Kansas Basketball.
sdoyel

Re: This team...

Post by sdoyel »

I know Thompson was hampered by a wrist injury, but before the injury and after, not much changed.

A burger boy shot 40% from 2 and 21% from 3.

What the heck guys???
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

sdoyel wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:14 pm I know Thompson was hampered by a wrist injury, but before the injury and after, not much changed.

What the heck guys???
He just doesn't seem to fit at KU and I have no confidence that he'll be more than a bit player who will be recruited over.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Garrett sure sounds finished to me...

https://twitter.com/fundamentallysd/sta ... 12228?s=21

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Mitch is hopefully more of a mentor and spiritual advisor to our team next season...

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:31 pm
sdoyel wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:14 pm I know Thompson was hampered by a wrist injury, but before the injury and after, not much changed.

What the heck guys???
He just doesn't seem to fit at KU and I have no confidence that he'll be more than a bit player who will be recruited over.
Unfortunately I get very Grimesy vibes. Whatever it is he was supposed to be good at...I haven't seen it.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

But his dad played for Self. I don’t see BT going anywhere.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I thought this team ( to start the season ) would be like the 12-13 squad honestly, a top 10 team with imperfections but still a contender.

No one really stepped up as much as I thought they would.

I think next year we could be like that 12-13 team.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But you wonder some if Cade or Caleb at UNC saw that Garrett was inline to run point this year and didn’t consider us.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Not sure if it's this team or the weed, but suddenly I feel like sports don't matter and I should ignore them the rest of my life
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Mjl wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:30 am Not sure if it's this team or the weed, but suddenly I feel like sports don't matter and I should ignore them the rest of my life
Yknow. Sports have mattered less and less to me, thought it was just age. I still care and yell. But not like i used to, and i havent broken anything in several years. Combination of age, life stage, other priorities, less beer, and.....less fun teams. I guess?
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

sdoyel wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:45 pm Garrett sure sounds finished to me...

https://twitter.com/fundamentallysd/sta ... 12228?s=21
No reason to stay. He isnt going to improve enough to get drafted. He has his degree. If he wants to play professionally, he might as well get started on the journey now. There is zero benefit to him in staying another year.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:09 am But you wonder some if Cade or Caleb at UNC saw that Garrett was inline to run point this year and didn’t consider us.
I doubt it. Self would have benched Braun and started Garrett off the ball where he is better. Self has seen him play. He would have much rather landed a good true PG than be stuck with a guy who can't shoot.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But those players didn’t know that.
It was assumed Marcus could step in and be the guy we saw at Oklahoma in 19-20 for all of the season.
He was put on many sports writers lists of top 10 players in college basketball. He was on some preseason AA teams.

You have a guy listed at point as your senior who started every game in 2020 and won defensive player of the year, and you’re a point guard, maybe you listen to other teams who can really promise you the gig.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But the guys we did add — 5 star Bryce Thompson wasn’t much of a factor and Grant Foster looked completely lost ( when some penciled him in as a top 3 player on the team ).

It does very much sound like Garrett is gone. I’m guessing we get a transfer PG or TyTy. Lets hope that KJ Adams contributes right away.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:37 am But those players didn’t know that.
It was assumed Marcus could step in and be the guy we saw at Oklahoma in 19-20 for all of the season.
He was put on many sports writers lists of top 10 players in college basketball. He was on some preseason AA teams.

You have a guy listed at point as your senior who started every game in 2020 and won defensive player of the year, and you’re a point guard, maybe you listen to other teams who can really promise you the gig.
I don't know, that's a reach. There were plenty of minutes in the KU starting back court to go to an elite recruit. If they didn't think they were good enough to beat out Christian Braun for a starting spot then I don't want them on the team anyways. I just doubt Garrett scared off any recruits.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:42 am But the guys we did add — 5 star Bryce Thompson wasn’t much of a factor and Grant Foster looked completely lost ( when some penciled him in as a top 3 player on the team ).

It does very much sound like Garrett is gone. I’m guessing we get a transfer PG or TyTy. Lets hope that KJ Adams contributes right away.
I'd love to have Garrett back if he was being added as the third best guard on a team with two scoring studs but he wouldn't be that next year. If we're going to play Harris then we can't have another guard who isn't a threat to shoot from three. There were times last night when we had two guys who couldn't shoot and two guys who wouldn't shoot out there as our four shooting guards. That just doesn't work.

We'll miss Garrett's defense and hustle but he has done all he can at KU. It's time for the next step in his journey.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

InfiniteJ wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:31 pm

What the heck guys???
He'll be a guard who can slash and score and can handle the ball. That fits fine at KU; he just needs to get a lot better. The physical talent and the "want-to" seem to be there. He just needs a regular year with regular training and regular coaching.

It's too early to write him off as a "bad fit".
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

Call me a bad fan, but I wish all of our guys were seniors this year.
Ain't no seats
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:50 pm Guess you guys didn’t watch a few of Roi’s squads or in 2018-19.
On their average game, or playing their best, this team wasn't among Self's (or Roi's) worst. But at their worst they were awful. They had the lowest floor of any team I can remember.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Unless you are a dominant team, i.e. the '10 Heels, even the 08 Jayhawks match ups in March matter. This was a match up nightmare to begin with not to mention one of your better players in J-Will would be coming back from being off 11 days. If you followed this team at all this year the writing was on the wall for a loss like this. Now did I think they would lose by 30+ plus, hell no but I didn't even feel confident about their ability to get past EWU.
This team was comprised of some really good role players and nothing more. Self, squeezed the juice out of them to get what he could but I believe even he knew that once he went up against a team that was longer and more athletic something like this was coming.

This seems like the cross roads for KU basketball. This is two tourney exits in a row via a blow out against teams that just out 'athletic'd' you. Something has to change. This program needs a shake up and I hope this was a wake up call. Moving forward, whether fair or not Self's legacy is going to be tied to tourney success and most importantly another Natty.
Holidaysmore - 2005