Contributor

Re: NBA Playoffs

Post by Overlander »

Luka looked exhausted in the 3rd.

Get that dude some help.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Overlander wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:27 am Luka looked exhausted in the 3rd.

Get that dude some help.
3rd or 4th?

He had a huge 3rd quarter.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Get that dude some help.
Doncic is also going to need to get into better shape.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

not that the eye test is much, but that dude just looks like he's not in real good shape compared to the rest of the nba.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:42 am not that the eye test is much, but that dude just looks like he's not in real good shape compared to the rest of the nba.
He averaged 35.4 mins per game and played in 65 games.

He's 6'7 230.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:49 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:42 am not that the eye test is much, but that dude just looks like he's not in real good shape compared to the rest of the nba.

He's 6'7 230.
Add to that he works his ass off
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

...but does he LOOK like an elite athlete in exceptional condition?

in a league of freak physiques, dude has about as much muscle definition as BofH gets doing yard work in the JoCo suburbs.
Deleted User 863

2x NBA MVP Nikola Jokic is ripped.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I'm not saying he's in the best shape, or bad shape. I have no idea. But, I do think people can be easily manipulated to think just because a guy plays a slow, methodical type of style that must mean he's in bad shape. He's just not as athletically gifted with a 40+ inch vertical or the fastest guy in the open floor.
Deleted User 863

Overlander wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:52 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:49 am

He's 6'7 230.
Add to that he works his ass off
Q just doing his normal thing. I doubt he watched many, if any, Mavs games this season.

Someone else who doesn't pay attention, might have been twocoach, said a few weeks ago he doesn't like watching Doncic. Made some comparison about being a shot chucking iso ball player like Trae Young and Russell Westbrook. I laughed.

Draymond Green recently said Doncic is one of the only players in the entire NBA who he feels like is as intelligent about the game as he is. High praise from a guy like Draymond.

Wiggins who is an elite NBA athlete, as durable as they come, who plays big minutes and is in fantastic shape said he is exhausted after guarding Doncic the last 5 games.

I can't take people seriously who don't respect or recognize how uniquely incredible Doncic is. Skill wise. Intelligence wise. He makes every single player around him better.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:36 am

Get that dude some help.
You guys do realize Doncic had 15pts 2ast 2rebs and 1stl in the 3rd quarter where they cut a 20+pt lead to under 10, right? Including like a 12-0 run that he sparked.
Deleted User 863

He's been 1st team All NBA every year other than his rookie season. Pretty good for a 23 year old.

I think he's in pretty good shape even if he isn't cut up like Giannis.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He could both, right now, be one of the best players in the league, because he is, and also get in better shape, because he could.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:17 pm He could both, right now, be one of the best players in the league, because he is, and also get in better shape, because he could.
Sure, couldn't everyone could get in better shape?
Deleted User 863

Luka was 9th in minutes per game this season.

45th in total minutes due to missing 17 games.

7th in PER.
1st in usage%.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:13 pm

Get that dude some help.
You guys do realize Doncic had 15pts 2ast 2rebs and 1stl in the 3rd quarter where they cut a 20+pt lead to under 10, right? Including like a 12-0 run that he sparked.
Super cool, that has nothing to do with what I said.

It doesn't change the fact that he was frequently out of position on defense because he couldn't get back in time. He also whines too much and hangs his teammates out to dry.

If you're going to lead the league in usage then you'd better be physically prepared for what that entails. Great player who can be even greater once he gets in better condition. Michael Jordan wasn't going to break into the NBA champ tier unless he got in better physical shape, either. It doesn't mean that he was a bad player prior to his dedicated effort to transform his body.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:03 pm If you're going to lead the league in usage then you'd better be physically prepared for what that entails.
It seems he is prepared physically for what it entails. 1st team All NBA 3 straight years.

You're blaming his conditioning for his team losing to the Golden State Warriors?

He averaged 38min, 32pts, 9rebs, 6ast, 1.6blk, and 1stl per game against 1 of the best defensive teams in the league. The 2nd best player on his team wouldn't even start on Golden State. The 3rd best player on his team probably wouldn't even be a rotation player on Golden State.

Saying things like "he was frequently out of position on defense because he couldn't get back in time" when you don't even watch the games is laughable, and conveniently unverifiable/subjective. Not to mention golden state is fantastic in transition.

Is Luka an All Defensive NBA player, no of course not.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

twocoach wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:03 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:13 pm

Super cool, that has nothing to do with what I said.

It doesn't change the fact that he was frequently out of position on defense because he couldn't get back in time. He also whines too much and hangs his teammates out to dry.

If you're going to lead the league in usage then you'd better be physically prepared for what that entails. Great player who can be even greater once he gets in better condition. Michael Jordan wasn't going to break into the NBA champ tier unless he got in better physical shape, either. It doesn't mean that he was a bad player prior to his dedicated effort to transform his body.
So are you one of those guys that thinks being slower and less athletically gifted automatically means he's in bad shape?

I would say leading the league in usage, and still putting up the numbers he does, says he's pretty prepared for what that entails. His numbers actually get better in the playoffs, so it's not like he's breaking down. So where do you get that he's in such poor shape other than he's just really slow?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:18 pm
twocoach wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:03 pm If you're going to lead the league in usage then you'd better be physically prepared for what that entails.
It seems he is prepared physically for what it entails. 1st team All NBA 3 straight years.

You're blaming his conditioning for his team losing to the Golden State Warriors?

He averaged 38min, 32pts, 9rebs, 6ast, 1.6blk, and 1stl per game against 1 of the best defensive teams in the league. The 2nd best player on his team wouldn't even start on Golden State. The 3rd best player on his team probably wouldn't even be a rotation player on Golden State.

Saying things like "he was frequently out of position on defense because he couldn't get back in time" when you don't even watch the games is laughable, and conveniently unverifiable/subjective. Not to mention golden state is fantastic in transition.

Is Luka an All Defensive NBA player, no of course not.
Dallas beat writer: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/ar ... 46555.html

Doncic himself admitting to being out of shape to start the season: https://www.basketballnetwork.net/lates ... t-of-shape

National writers: https://theathletic.com/3295593/2022/05 ... ense-suns/

Doncic himself after the game: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/339 ... next-level

Jason Kidd challenging his team to train harder in the offseason to be better prepared:
https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles ... 7_37538223

But sure, you're probably right that he really doesn't need to change anything since you watch so many games and all. More likely is that you're just arguing to argue.
Deleted User 863

Funny, straight to the strawmans, I haven't said ANYWHERE he doesn't need to change ANYTHING. Certainly haven't said he doesn't need to get better at DEFENSE.

I also said above EVERYONE could be in better shape and have better conditioning. That's someone EVERYONE has to continually work on throughout their careers each and every season. Not just Doncic.

Just funny to me you ran with a comment by overlander that i assume meant to say 4th quarter and started in, being totally unaware he had a ridiculously good 3rd quarter in the game last night.