2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:36 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:12 pm If this aggressive NIL/portal approach yields us a bunch of Ws and FFs in the next few years, that’s all fans will care about.
Many fans, sure.
Not all fans.
Obviously this offseason is taking things to a different level. But we've had super-talented, AA-type guys leave before (just off the top of my head, Padgett, Giles, Downs, Bragg, Grimes, Thompson). I think this offseason is different in volume, but not in kind.

As I've said many times - I'm not wild about it, and I'm hopeful that this is as weird as it'll get before it finds a level (just like OAD chasing did). But I do think these sorts of things tend to fade away when we're winning games and headed toward another 1 (another 1-1, even).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Padgett didn't want to be here, he was roi's boi.
Giles got in a knife fight. Also roi's boi.
Downs didn't want to be here, his dad didn't want him here, he missed his girlfriend, he was a douche.
Bragg got involved in too much extra shit.
Grimes didn't want to be here, his dad didn't want him here, he was a douche.
Thompson, I'll give you. I liked him and am bummed he left.

I really liked Udeh and was psyched to see him get better here.

Some dbag, who made a twitter video saying how difficult it was for him to make the decision and then the next day says he chose KU because of NIL and how courageous it was, who I don't care about and am not psyched to see him here, took his spot.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i wonder if Udeh saw the video (i’m almost certain he did), and what impact it’s contents might have had
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:36 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:12 pm If this aggressive NIL/portal approach yields us a bunch of Ws and FFs in the next few years, that’s all fans will care about.
Many fans, sure.
Not all fans.
Yeah, sure, since there are sooo many CBB fans who hate their teams getting to the final four.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You said that is all fans will care about.

I gotta be honest, at this point i'd much rather the Chiefs win a Super Bowl next season than KU win a title.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:04 pm Padgett didn't want to be here, he was roi's boi.
Giles got in a knife fight. Also roi's boi.
Downs didn't want to be here, his dad didn't want him here, he missed his girlfriend, he was a douche.
Bragg got involved in too much extra shit.
Grimes didn't want to be here, his dad didn't want him here, he was a douche.
Thompson, I'll give you. I liked him and am bummed he left.

I really liked Udeh and was psyched to see him get better here.

Some dbag, who made a twitter video saying how difficult it was for him to make the decision and then the next day says he chose KU because of NIL and how courageous it was, who I don't care about and am not psyched to see him here, took his spot.
Isn't Udeh leaving...proof that he didn't want to be here? If it meant being a backup again?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think Udeh did want to be here until just a week or so ago.
You very much could see him on the sidelines, all season, excited for his teammates.
Different than all the above scenarios even if we aren't considering the other difference here, being the bags of money dropped at courageous Hunter's feet.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:16 pm You said that is all fans will care about.

I gotta be honest, at this point i'd much rather the Chiefs win a Super Bowl next season than KU win a title.
i’m torn

though, there’s a part of me that doesn’t want to see this current trend rewarded, necessarily
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

for the last 5 years all you smartalecs have been demanding change. well. here it is.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

link?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:23 pm I think Udeh did want to be here until just a week or so ago.
You very much could see him on the sidelines, all season, excited for his teammates.
Different than all the above scenarios even if we aren't considering the other difference here, being the bags of money dropped at courageous Hunter's feet.
So he left because he got recruited over. Would you feel this salty if, like, Wembanyama decided he wanted to play college ball, and picked KU (causing Udeh to bolt)?

This is what I mean by what's different here being in the details, but not the substance - kids have left because they got recruited over, forever.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

pdub wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:33 pm
Mjl wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:06 pm This is going to be self-defeating.

Part of the appeal of college athletics is seeing guys grow over the years. You're going to lose fans with this approach, and are going to lose income, and lose the ability to buy top guys.
As much as i'd like that to happen, I don't think it will.
There's a lot of BWW Chad's who lock in during tournament time.

If you're talking specifically Kansas, I think you may loose more, yes, because Kansas fans tend to be more emotionally invested in seeing guys for four years.
I am
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:57 pm
pdub wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:23 pm I think Udeh did want to be here until just a week or so ago.
So he left because he got recruited over. Would you feel this salty if, like, Wembanyama decided he wanted to play college ball, and picked KU (causing Udeh to bolt)?

This is what I mean by what's different here being in the details, but not the substance - kids have left because they got recruited over, forever.
Not quite as salty but close...perhaps equally if he made a video about how courageous he was to choose to go to college over G League.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

I'm betting Bill Self and company knew that losing both Zuby and Ernest was a possibility if Dickinson signed up.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:21 pm I'm betting Bill Self and company knew that losing both Zuby and Ernest was a possibility if Dickinson signed up.
100%. Had to of known. The moment Bill said we need to go find a 20/10 guy, they had one foot out the door.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:52 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:21 pm I'm betting Bill Self and company knew that losing both Zuby and Ernest was a possibility if Dickinson signed up.
100%. Had to of known. The moment Bill said we need to go find a 20/10 guy, they had one foot out the door.
He was in effect telling them "we need someone better than you".
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:33 pm
Mjl wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:06 pm This is going to be self-defeating.

Part of the appeal of college athletics is seeing guys grow over the years. You're going to lose fans with this approach, and are going to lose income, and lose the ability to buy top guys.
As much as i'd like that to happen, I don't think it will.
There's a lot of BWW Chad's who lock in during tournament time.

If you're talking specifically Kansas, I think you may loose more, yes, because Kansas fans tend to be more emotionally invested in seeing guys for four years.
My favorite players have all been guys who stuck around and ended up being great after years of hard work. Mason, Graham, Ochai, etc... but I have no problem enjoying all of the other players who come through the program. Players come and go, such is the nature of the sport even before all these changes. I personally cheer for Kansas basketball, not individual players. Odds are that there will just be longer gaps between guys who end up on my "favorite players" list is all. It will never get to the point where I stop following KU hoops.
surly

Post by surly »

suspect bill ran off a bunch of guys and rightfully so. then, these last couple left because they have have ceilings and felt abused by the system, feelings matter.

the game has changed dramatically. whether it runs off fans or not, i doubt, they'll just adjust to the new reality.