Dumbfuck in charge

Ugh.
chiknbut

Re: Dumbfuck in charge

Post by chiknbut »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:23 am Every single Republican legislator should be made to respond on the record to this:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 2223651840
Could there be a more obvious dog whistle?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I...don't think it's even a whistle? It's open segregation advocacy?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:09 pm I...don't think it's even a whistle? It's open segregation advocacy?
This is solely an attempt to grab wbite suburban votes. HUD had already suspended enforcement of the rule back in 2018 so Trump's move changes nothing from a practical standpoint.

I dont know anything about how the rule was used and whether it would have been effective accomplishing what it's desired goal was. Obama put some regulations in that seemed to overshoot the target. Trump has countered by throwing many regulations in the garbage, damn the consequences.

Back and forth, back and forth.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:09 pm I...don't think it's even a whistle? It's open segregation advocacy?
Joyce browsing KC

https://twitter.com/JoyceWhiteVance/sta ... 3992707074
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... uit-387681

How to put this...there’s no chance of this happening absent some sort of comprehensive (federal and state) pardon arrangement, and possibly a shit-ton of money and comfy exile.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Probably should have posted this on a different thread but didn't know which one to post it on.
Watch the video.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CDHmyYMAuK7/
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Deleted User 318

Good thing Heritage already did the leg work to show that a president cannot delay an election:

https://www.myheritage.org/news/can-pre ... ane-sandy/
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'm not sure what cannot means anymore.

I don't think it's likely to work. I think it's more likely that Trump attacks the results of an election, that will turn into a landslide subsequent to Election Day.

Of course, a landslide Biden result seems likely to cost the GOP its Senate majority as well. Whether they like it or not, Trump will also (falsely) attack the Senate results.

Do they want to be a part of that?

I'm intensely curious to know what's not public. From what is known, it would seem that the self-interested move would be to throw this clown overboard, capitalizing on anti-Trump sentiment to preserve the Senate majority now and a reasonable shot at the Oval in 2024.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The next three months are gonna be wild.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Regarding Trump’s claims of election and inquiries to delay/interfere, I think the biggest question mark remains:

just how far are republicans willing to march with this guy?
Deleted User 318

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:19 am The next three months are gonna be wild.
I don’t think it will feel much different from the previous 45 months. I turned on CNN to see the hot takes of the tweet, and they haven’t even mentioned it since the top of the hour. The system is numb.
Deleted User 318

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:21 am Regarding Trump’s claims of election and inquiries to delay/interfere, I think the biggest question mark remains:

Every single republican will give the following quote, “the president was obviously joking, but we do want to make sure our elections are secure.”

None will advocate delaying anything.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:21 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:19 am The next three months are gonna be wild.
I don’t think it will feel much different from the previous 45 months. I turned on CNN to see the hot takes of the tweet, and they haven’t even mentioned it since the top of the hour. The system is numb.
Is the system numb, or finally wising up? There's something to be said for not giving this oxygen.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:23 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:21 am Regarding Trump’s claims of election and inquiries to delay/interfere, I think the biggest question mark remains:

Every single republican will give the following quote, “the president was obviously joking, but we do want to make sure our elections are secure.”

None will advocate delaying anything.
The GOP has to be fuming at Trump. Opposition is growing by the day. That will absolutely trickle down to other races.

Will be the only time trickle-down actually happened, vis a vis the GOP.
Deleted User 318

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:31 am
Is the system numb, or finally wising up? There's something to be said for not giving this oxygen.
Numb, because CNN just now started to talk about it, and my phone blew up when it happened with every news outlet reporting it out.

I think CNN just didn't feel like interrupting its prepacked segments to talk about it yet. Although they just gave it 4 minutes, said it's not possible, and moved on. I don't watch much CNN, but that was encouraging.

I always love to play the game, "what if Obama did it." Every outlet would spend a month on it, and priests would be on Fox News explaining, how Obama, is in fact the devil (or the Antichrist, I forget how these things work).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:36 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:31 am

Numb, because CNN just now started to talk about it, and my phone blew up when it happened with every news outlet reporting it out.

I think CNN just didn't feel like interrupting its prepacked segments to talk about it yet. Although they just gave it 4 minutes, said it's not possible, and moved on. I don't watch much CNN, but that was encouraging.

I always love to play the game, "what if Obama did it." Every outlet would spend a month on it, and priests would be on Fox News explaining, how Obama, is in fact the devil (or the Antichrist, I forget how these things work).
I thought CNN handled it with restraint, which was the right move.
Deleted User 318

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:33 am The GOP has to be fuming at Trump. Opposition is growing by the day. That will absolutely trickle down to other races.

Nah, the GOP is riding the Trump train perfectly. They're indebted to him for pulling a victory out of his you-know-what in 2016, and keeping both the house and senate. They've known this was a 4-year transition, and they will need to go more moderate after 2020.

Those with a spine have already announced retirements for 2018 and 2020, and those who just like to LARP are going full-Gohmert (who is now claiming he thinks wearing a mask gave him COVID https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... d-1035799/).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:42 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:33 am The GOP has to be fuming at Trump. Opposition is growing by the day. That will absolutely trickle down to other races.

Nah, the GOP is riding the Trump train perfectly. They're indebted to him for pulling a victory out of his you-know-what in 2016, and keeping both the house and senate. They've known this was a 4-year transition, and they will need to go more moderate after 2020.

Those with a spine have already announced retirements for 2018 and 2020, and those who just like to LARP are going full-Gohmert (who is now claiming he thinks wearing a mask gave him COVID https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... d-1035799/).
Except the jig will be up if, when the music stops, Democrats control the legislative and executive branches.

And they know that. At some point - and lord knows it's felt like we've lapped that point like it was a two-legged horse at Churchill Downs - the instinct for self-preservation (which is well-honed in these people) would suggest cutting bait.
Deleted User 318

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:48 am Except the jig will be up if, when the music stops, Democrats control the legislative and executive branches.

And they know that. At some point - and lord knows it's felt like we've lapped that point like it was a two-legged horse at Churchill Downs - the instinct for self-preservation (which is well-honed in these people) would suggest cutting bait.
I fully expect the Dems to nuke the filibuster in the next legislative session. Doing it early, and doing it loudly, ("We need to reverse the misguided policy of the previous administration, thus we are suspending the filibuster blah blah blah"). Doing it early and forcefully will also give it two years before next mid-term, when it's not going to be front of mind. Completely neutering the GOP will be interesting. I wonder if that makes them change their tune. Also, redistricting is about to happen, with GOP judges giving the blessing to political gerrymander. If Dems don't take advantage of that, then they are just dumb.

It might have been smarter to let Clinton win 2016 and build up for a massive 2020 change election, where they could further entrench their power.