Dumbfuck in charge

Ugh.
Deleted User 141

Re: Dumbfuck in charge

Post by Deleted User 141 »

NiceDC wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:58 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:53 pm What’ll really get interesting, is how gop lawmakers respond if/when their base starts calling for a delay...
They are. Saw a ton of folks demonizing mail in ballots and saying we should wait until after COVID to hold an election. Not sure the sincerity, but there is a vocal minority asking for it. I'll keep an eye out for poles that ask about it. I'm sure some polesters will be asking soon.

Vocal minority? I thought they were a silent majority.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:30 am NiceDC-

I think that sequence is precisely what will happen. And that, combined with record turnout (especially among historically low-voting groups) will be FRAUD.
And he's on TV right now saying he doesn't want results in a week, and wants to know the night of the election. He says the quiet part out loud so often.

This was on a question about wanting to delay the election. Not sure how the two equate. Sounds like he got his talking points cross.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Meanwhile, the Trump administration dramatically hikes fees on seeking asylum and naturalization, hoping to simply price foreigners out of wanting to come to the US:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/politics ... index.html

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspect ... -16389.pdf
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Its $50 for asylum seekers.

Many people getting naturalized are already permanent residents for the past 5 years iirc? My guess is $500ish extra dollars does very little to diminish those people's desire to become naturalized citizens of the United States. My mom used to help with the naturalization process/ceremony and i have attended them on numerous occasions. These are doctors, lawyers, scientists....not just/only poor immigrants. Some have married a US citizen. Some are serving in our military. It is a diverse group in my experience. Most/many want to become citizens very badly because they love our country.

I dont think this does much to "price foreigners out of wanting to come to the United States".
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

And this...this is the positive spin:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 1272521728
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:34 am Its $50 for asylum seekers.

Many people getting naturalized are already permanent residents for the past 5 years iirc? My guess is $500ish extra dollars does very little to diminish those people's desire to become naturalized citizens of the United States. My mom used to help with the naturalization process/ceremony and i have attended them on numerous occasions. These are doctors, lawyers, scientists....not just/only poor immigrants. Some have married a US citizen. Some are serving in our military. It is a diverse group in my experience. Most/many want to become citizens very badly because they love our country.

I dont think this does much to "price foreigners out of wanting to come to the United States".
I don't think many doctors/lawyers/scientists try to get in via asylum.

To asylum-seekers, $50 is probably quite often a material sum; lower middle class average annual income in Guatemala is $1,619.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:08 pm And this...this is the positive spin:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 1272521728
Which is the "approval" pole.

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public ... ex_history

The most recent Rasmussen H2H pole has Trump down 6 points to Biden.

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public ... atch_jul29

And this is a C+ polester that 538 unskews 5 points away from Trump.

It's also a tracking pole which I'm not going to get into, but is not really great for actual poleing.

I wonder what these internal poles are. Him just asking his friends if they still like him? Not sure he's doing much better than 50% there.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Deleted User 310

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:10 pm

To asylum-seekers, $50 is probably quite often a material sum; lower middle class average annual income in Guatemala is $1,619.
Sorry i tried to paragraph it off, but i was definitely speaking of naturalization when mentioning doctors lawyers scientists etc.

I do agree $50 is more relevant to asylum seekers....but i dont think it is a complete deterrent to seeking asylum.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:43 pm

Sorry i tried to paragraph it off, but i was definitely speaking of naturalization when mentioning doctors lawyers scientists etc.

I do agree $50 is more relevant to asylum seekers....but i dont think it is a complete deterrent to seeking asylum.
It's not a deterrent for seeking asylum. People walk from Central America seeking asylum. But it is a deterrent for being able to officially apply for it once they complete that journey. I doubt many folks show up at the southern border with $50 in their pocket.
Deleted User 310

twocoach wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:55 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:43 pm

It's not a deterrent for seeking asylum. People walk from Central America seeking asylum. But it is a deterrent for being able to officially apply for it once they complete that journey. I doubt many folks show up at the southern border with $50 in their pocket.
Playing devils advocate here a bit....so what do you expect them to do once they get let in the country if they dont have $50? Was food and water free on their walk from central america?

I think some probably do show up without $50, and it would be nice if there were some sort of charitable organization that was set up to help them pay to apply because i would certainly send $50 or whatever to sponsor an applicant....but i would guess many show up capable of paying $50 to get out of whatever country/bad situation they are leaving behind.

I actually worked with a person at a golf course in Myrtle Beach who came from Guatemala....he did not seek asylum, but rather entered illegally so that he could work and take money back to his family so that they could come legally and attempt to become citizens....he said it cost nearly $7,000 for him to be brought here by a "coyote" or whatever they are called. He was a great dude. We had a bit of a language barrier but i learned a lot from working with a bunch of those guys in my years in Myrtle Beach.

Personally, just to be clear, i think the $50 fee for first time asylum seekers is kind of dumb....i am assuming there are costs involved with processing and background research on applicants, so i get it...but hopefullly, from how it sounds, they only have to pay this 1 time with their first time applying for asylum, rather than each time they apply......

However i dont think the increase in naturalization cost is a huge deal to them in most instances....my mom took part in naturalization ceremony of my childhood pediatrician who saved my life (i had a heart issue that required open heart surgery when i was a few years old and she is the one who discovered the issue). It was such a cool thing to witness even though i was still school aged at the time that ceremony took place. As i have grown older i realize what a special ceremony that is for a large % of the people who become naturalized.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Deleted User 310

Why does he think he can continually use this method of speaking trying to persuade people? You would think after almost 4 years he would learn but he is too stupid to adapt.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:06 pm Why does he think he can continually use this method of speaking trying to persuade people? You would think after almost 4 years he would learn but he is too stupid to adapt.
Because being a liar and a know-nothing dipshit got him into the Oval Office.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

He’s not just *a* liar and know-nothing dipshit...

He’s *thee* liar and know-nothing dipshit that republicans had been waiting for!

(For real, I think if 2020 has shown anything, it’s that Trump really is just a symptom, of a culture of stubborn ignorance among many Americans...)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:06 pm Why does he think he can continually use this method of speaking trying to persuade people? You would think after almost 4 years he would learn but he is too stupid to adapt.
Because it still works among his supporters. He thinks he’s doing fine.

The problem is he does not understand basic math: his pool of supporters is shrinking. It doesn’t matter that he’s still 95% among Republicans.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:57 am

He’s *thee* liar and know-nothing dipshit that republicans had been waiting for!
What a dumb fucking statement.
Just Ledoux it