Why Didn't (fill in the blank) Play More Last Game?!?

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: Why Didn't (fill in the blank) Play More Last Game?!?

Post by ousdahl »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:06 pm
ousdahl wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:15 pm Mitch is on his third season by now. He’s a known commodity, and I hate to say, a known commodity with a low ceiling.

I think David, mistakes and all, might be a better first big off the bench right now. (Yeah Mitch hustles and yeah he “knows the system better,” but in case anyone hasn’t noticed his minutes have yielded production not much better than Justin Wesley’s.)

And certainly, David’s got more size, more strength, maybe even more skill, and much much more upside. Let’s get him some reps now so that maybe he can even be that much further along come conference play and postseason.

And maybe - maaaybe - David’s size and strength, with some actual development, could come off the bench and be a paint presence we otherwise lack when Dok comes out.

FREE MCCORMACK!
How has McCormack been looking in practice?

Maybe you're seeing something that Bill isn't?....even though bill watches him play basketball about 40× as much as you.
you're right, I don't see practice. But I do see just as many games as Self, and can see even Self prefers other lineups over the junior big man.

but I'm weary of this point, and feel like I'm being too hard on an otherwise good keed.

so from here on out I'll just say I hope Mitch proves me wrong. I think he can.

and either way notwithstanding, FREE MCCORMACK
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:55 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:06 pm
ousdahl wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:15 pm Mitch is on his third season by now. He’s a known commodity, and I hate to say, a known commodity with a low ceiling.

I think David, mistakes and all, might be a better first big off the bench right now. (Yeah Mitch hustles and yeah he “knows the system better,” but in case anyone hasn’t noticed his minutes have yielded production not much better than Justin Wesley’s.)

And certainly, David’s got more size, more strength, maybe even more skill, and much much more upside. Let’s get him some reps now so that maybe he can even be that much further along come conference play and postseason.

And maybe - maaaybe - David’s size and strength, with some actual development, could come off the bench and be a paint presence we otherwise lack when Dok comes out.

FREE MCCORMACK!
How has McCormack been looking in practice?

Maybe you're seeing something that Bill isn't?....even though bill watches him play basketball about 40× as much as you.
you're right, I don't see practice. But I do see just as many games as Self, and can see even Self prefers other lineups over the junior big man.

but I'm weary of this point, and feel like I'm being too hard on an otherwise good keed.

so from here on out I'll just say I hope Mitch proves me wrong. I think he can.

and either way notwithstanding, FREE MCCORMACK
Fwiw I agree about free McCormack.... but it has little to do with Mitch and mostly to do with me not wanting this team to play "small ball" because we don't have the shooting to do it imo. We've got 2 amazing bigs (dedric/dok) and then a big mofo in dmac, plus mitch. I'd prefer us to never have less than 2 of those 4 in the game. Let KJ play wing. He's scrawny, but he's big for a 3, so let's play big for once and if he gets minutes let it be at the 3.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Garrett has been held out of practice, but is now probable for Saturday. Must have been a serious whacking.
I am, I said.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Also FWIW - we’re heading toward Game 6 of an unannounced permanent ban for Silvio.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Yeah, doesn’t seem like anyone even asking Silvio questions as of late. Self spoke of Garrett last night on Hawk Talk. I don’t recall any topic of Silvio since early November.
I am, I said.
Deleted User 75

jfish26 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:18 pm Also FWIW - we’re heading toward Game 6 of an unannounced permanent ban for Silvio.
I'm glad he's still at school. Practice, improve, receive good coaching....but most importantly (at this point) get your free education. That may prove to be far more valuable over time than expected if a professional basketball career doesn't happen.

I think he'll have overseas options regardless. No clue the type of money they make, other than I know most don't get paid like Langford did by being 1 of the best players not in the NBA. So a college degree could/should be something he can utitilze as he gets older. If he's never declared ineligible or eligible and is just left in limbo then I hope he stays all 4 years and gets all the benefits the ncaa legally allows him to receive.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:18 pm Also FWIW - we’re heading toward Game 6 of an unannounced permanent ban for Silvio.
We know they won't because the NCAA but they ( the NCAA ) should be able to supply an update, oh, every couple weeks to advancement on looking into his status.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:52 pm
We know they won't because the NCAA but they ( the NCAA ) should be able to supply an update, oh, every couple weeks to advancement on looking into his status.
I agree wholeheartedly with this:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-c ... 44020.html

https://twitter.com/cdotharrison/status ... 6427468801
The obvious reason is that nothing is new. Without news, without developments, this is simply rehashing old stuff — that Silvio De Sousa is being unfairly punished for dumb rules being broken presumably without him even knowing about it.

Some have made the point that suspending De Sousa while Self continues to coach (and be paid) is unfair, and I agree. I’d only add that punishing anyone for this nonsense is a waste of time and violation of common sense.

But, none of that answers your question. There isn’t much discussion of any of this now because there’s nothing new. The next trial is scheduled for the spring, so this will become newly relevant then, if not sooner. But until then, what is the conversation?

What’s the news?

Whether it’s Billy Preston or Eric Berry or Kyle Zimmer, when the answer stays the same at some point you stop asking.

One of the frustrating parts of this story is that NCAA eligibility issues used to be about cheating, but more and more they’re about optics. De Sousa was ruled eligible last year by the NCAA, but now there’s a trial and his college career appears to be collateral damage for the bureaucrats to be able to say they’re doing something.

I haven’t watched every minute of every KU game, but I’ve seen at least a couple times where the story is quickly told out of a timeout or something.

It will always be glossed over in those situations, because of both time restraints and the natural tendencies of game broadcasts done by partners.

I think we’d all like a definitive answer. At this point, unfortunately, it appears the NCAA is either enforcing a de facto suspension or truly does not know what to do with an athlete it already ruled eligible at a national powerhouse program.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:24 pm
I'm glad he's still at school. Practice, improve, receive good coaching....but most importantly (at this point) get your free education. That may prove to be far more valuable over time than expected if a professional basketball career doesn't happen.

I think he'll have overseas options regardless. No clue the type of money they make, other than I know most don't get paid like Langford did by being 1 of the best players not in the NBA. So a college degree could/should be something he can utitilze as he gets older. If he's never declared ineligible or eligible and is just left in limbo then I hope he stays all 4 years and gets all the benefits the ncaa legally allows him to receive.
I dig the sentiment.

yet at the same time, part of me hopes he doesn’t stay all 4 years, at least if he’s kept in limbo.

Dude is too good to be stuck on a practice squad. Wasn’t he probable to declare this year either way?

Don’t let the ncaa make you their bitch. Go find somewhere to play, and heck maybe even get paid doing it EEEEEEEK!
Deleted User 75

ousdahl wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:03 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:24 pm

I dig the sentiment.

yet at the same time, part of me hopes he doesn’t stay all 4 years, at least if he’s kept in limbo.

Dude is too good to be stuck on a practice squad. Wasn’t he probable to declare this year either way?

Don’t let the ncaa make you their bitch. Go find somewhere to play, and heck maybe even get paid doing it EEEEEEEK!
He may have thought it his mind he was probable to declare, but I highly doubt there is any NBA interest in SDS. He's way too raw. He's basically a poor man's TRob....and Trob is not on an NBA roster.

But I agree he should go overseas and get money for playing IF that's what HE wants....but this is his chance at a free college degree. He's got maybe 10 years or so of professional basketball earning potential.....there is a lot of life left to live after that. He maybe needs to consider that at some point he may need a job other than playing basketball and a degree would be very valuable in that aspect.

Maybe I'm way over valuing a college degree in this instance. Usually I'm the complete opposite, but he's a unique situation.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

How is Bruno Fernando playing? Same guardian and handlers if im not mistaken. Went to Maryland where all yhe Silvio pay to play drama was centered around... but Fernando is clean? Sure
Just Ledoux it
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

TDub wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:44 pm How is Bruno Fernando playing? Same guardian and handlers if im not mistaken. Went to Maryland where all yhe Silvio pay to play drama was centered around... but Fernando is clean? Sure
I was thinking the same thing!
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
Deleted User 75

TDub wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:44 pm How is Bruno Fernando playing? Same guardian and handlers if im not mistaken. Went to Maryland where all yhe Silvio pay to play drama was centered around... but Fernando is clean? Sure
Maryland is not an Adidas school and so there wasn't any "hard" evidence presented in court implicating their staff or players.

It appears, based on this fbi stuff, that nearly nobody worth having is completely "clean".
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:28 pm
Maryland is not an Adidas school and so there wasn't any "hard" evidence presented in court implicating their staff or players.

It appears, based on this fbi stuff, that nearly nobody worth having is completely "clean".
It doesn't matter that they aren't an adidas school...it's a payment issue with SDS guardian, which could have Maryland involved.
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

thekid6 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:33 pm

It doesn't matter that they aren't an adidas school...it's a payment issue with SDS guardian, which could have Maryland involved.
Yeah, that's a pretty big loophole. Why doesn't the shoe company just give the parents money for the sister or less athletic brother of a star recruit?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 75

thekid6 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:33 pm

Correct.....but remember, the ncaa couldn't figure any of this stuff out on their own....so if the fbi didn't present hard evidence about the player then they really have no way to decide they're ineligible after already clearing the player.

Without the fbi and their ability to wire tap, obtain text messages, and request bank records, there is really no way for the ncaa to catch/prevent this stuff.....that's why it's been happening for 30+ years.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Self blurb during his weekly presser right now. He’s also trashing the team about being a shitty practice team.

https://twitter.com/themattgalloway/sta ... 9144769537
I am, I said.
Deleted User 75

Can't imagine how bad of a cluster fuck our front court would be if SDS was playing. Why have all these bigs if we only want to play 1 at a time?

I trust Self, but if you're going to play small then you've got to have shooters. Marcus Garrett and KJ Lawson standing around jacking 3s doesn't exactly excite me.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Well Lightfoot standing around not be able to guard his man and setting picks doesn't exactly excite me either.