Official Big 12 Game Thread #4 - KU @ Baylor

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 167

Re: Official Big 12 Game Thread #4 - KU @ Baylor

Post by Deleted User 167 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:29 pm
cjbooth38 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:24 pm Pretty pathetic. This is an issue with Self. All of his teams play games way to closley no matter who it is that we're playing. We can be up by 50 pts and we'll end up winning by 5 points. At some point the blame needs to be put on him.
PWhitt gives you a chance to rethink your posts, and this is the best you can come up with?
Sorry I pointed out a flaw with your precious Self. Didn't mean to make you upset.
Deleted User 167

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:28 pm
cjbooth38 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:24 pm Pretty pathetic. This is an issue with Self. All of his teams play games way to closley no matter who it is that we're playing. We can be up by 50 pts and we'll end up winning by 5 points. At some point the blame needs to be put on him.
Maybe in other years....but the fact this team only has 2 losses means he gets a pass this year. This team is not very talented.
Fair enough
Deleted User 167

cjbooth38 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:19 pm
Maybe in other years....but the fact this team only has 2 losses means he gets a pass this year. This team is not very talented.
Fair enough
I think we have a lot more talent than most teams but we are extremely inexperienced. We have some sophomores and juniors (and Vick) but this is the first year they have played together as a team. I think/hope we'll be a lot better by the end of the season.

Not closing out games has been an issue with Self over the last couple years but I agree that he probably deserves some slack with the recent injury to Dok.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:51 pm Illinois could have kept his mouth shut and not been the dumb guy of the thread, but nope.
could be said for many threads
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

cjbooth38 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:24 pm
cjbooth38 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:19 pm

Fair enough
I think we have a lot more talent than most teams but we are extremely inexperienced. We have some sophomores and juniors (and Vick) but this is the first year they have played together as a team. I think/hope we'll be a lot better by the end of the season.

Not closing out games has been an issue with Self over the last couple years but I agree that he probably deserves some slack with the recent injury to Dok.
i agree with the tendency to lack the killer instinct and not keep foot to throat

but, Self doesn’t play the game
Deleted User 167

I understand that and have had the same mindset up until this year but isn't it strange that this is the third consecutive year that KU is like this? That's what leads me to believe it has something to do with Self. We are way more talented than almost every team we face but rarely win by double digits. Don't get me wrong, I love Self as a coach and I feel like he is irreplaceable. It's just something I find strange and am pointing it out.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

cjbooth38 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:51 pm I understand that and have had the same mindset up until this year but isn't it strange that this is the third consecutive year that KU is like this? That's what leads me to believe it has something to do with Self. We are way more talented than almost every team we face but rarely win by double digits. Don't get me wrong, I love Self as a coach and I feel like he is irreplaceable. It's just something I find strange and am pointing it out.
I think it's just the teams themselves.

The previous 2 years we were not very good at defense and didn't have a shot blocking presence.....this year we're good at defense, but struggle to score and don't take care of the ball.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Hey, Illy, what was the KU roster on the floor to close out the game?
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Hint: Lots of Freshmen.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Deleted User 75

So you're agreeing with me that Self doesn't have some flaw that causes teams to struggle closing games out?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:52 pm Hint: Lots of Freshmen.
turnover LeGerald Vick.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I understand that and have had the same mindset up until this year but isn't it strange that this is the third consecutive year that KU is like this?"

20th in scoring margin in 2017-18.
15th in scoring margin in 2016-17.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:52 pm Hint: Lots of Freshmen.
Last 4:20 of the game... our senior "leader" Vick had 3 turnovers and a missed 2pt jumper.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

2 passes directly to a Baylor player. Lol
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Maybe Vick would be more helpful playing the sixth man. Come in a light it up and sit down.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Vick has been scary with the ball lately. He was the reason this wasn't double digits. You see a "meh" passing reflex in him when challenged. Self left KU plenty of escape-from-danger timeouts yesterday. And Vick decided blind passes were the best options. He makes points setting pretty hard on Vegas. He might be Triple double with points, rebounds and turnovers sometime this year. Needs to focus. Worlds of raw talent and wing span. Attention span of a gnat.
Deleted User 75

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:16 pm Maybe Vick would be more helpful playing the sixth man. Come in a light it up and sit down.
We don't have that luxury.

He also played like shit when he got benched earlier this season.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:05 pm
Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:16 pm Maybe Vick would be more helpful playing the sixth man. Come in a light it up and sit down.

I don't think Vick comes off the bench and I don't think that solves any problems.

But to say we don't have that luxury???? I mean, we could easily start Agbaji and have Vick be the first guard off the bench, if for some reason Self thought that was the best way to win a game.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 75

PhDhawk wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:11 pm

I don't think Vick comes off the bench and I don't think that solves any problems.

But to say we don't have that luxury???? I mean, we could easily start Agbaji and have Vick be the first guard off the bench, if for some reason Self thought that was the best way to win a game.
Sure. We could do a lot of things...but I agree I have no idea what problems we would be solving by doing it.

If people are looking for a way to get Agbaji starting that's fine...but it's not going to be over Vick or Grimes. It'd be over Garrett, but he's a fan favorite so people are looking for an alternative.

It's also been 2 games. We don't need to give up on Grimes for Ochai to have a major impact. We don't need to bench Vick for Ochai to have a major impact. There are more than enough minutes to go around. Especially if Moore and KJ are hardly going to play.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:24 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:11 pm

Sure. We could do a lot of things...but I agree I have no idea what problems we would be solving by doing it.

If people are looking for a way to get Agbaji starting that's fine...but it's not going to be over Vick or Grimes. It'd be over Garrett, but he's a fan favorite so people are looking for an alternative.

It's also been 2 games. We don't need to give up on Grimes for Ochai to have a major impact. We don't need to bench Vick for Ochai to have a major impact. There are more than enough minutes to go around. Especially if Moore and KJ are hardly going to play.
I'm just saying it's not about luxury. You say that like we only have 5 legit D1 guys on our roster, or like it's the equivalent of Dok last year and Mitch is his only backup.

The reason Vick is starting isn't because we don't have options, it's because he's one of our 4 best guards, and we're starting 4 guards.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.