"Get away" trips.

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 266

Re: "Get away" trips.

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Defix - I was being overly harsh for sarcastic affect.
I'm truly sorry because joking or not, in hindsight I went too far with my assessment of what you posted.
We all make mistakes. Your son, me, you, everyone.
I'm sure you're a probably great parent.
I hope you had a nice get away trip.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:37 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:43 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:49 pm You guys ready for my awesome "Get Away Trip" coming up this weekend??

The fam and I are heading up to the lovely metropolis of KC this weekend and visiting the wonders of Legoland and SeaLife Aquarium!

The life of having 3 kids 8 and under!
If you haven't done the Union Station stuff, check it out. Better for the kids and way better for the adults.
Is Science City still there? I took my kids when they were little (granted, 15 years ago) and they hated it.
It is, and it has been significantly improved in the last 5-10 years and is packed now. I was really impressed when I took the nieces and nephews there last summer.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:54 am
jhawks99 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:37 am

If you haven't done the Union Station stuff, check it out. Better for the kids and way better for the adults.
Is Science City still there? I took my kids when they were little (granted, 15 years ago) and they hated it.
It is, and it has been significantly improved in the last 5-10 years and is packed now. I was really impressed when I took the nieces and nephews there last summer.
Good to hear. It was lame the last time I was there.
Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:12 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:49 pm You guys ready for my awesome "Get Away Trip" coming up this weekend??

The fam and I are heading up to the lovely metropolis of KC this weekend and visiting the wonders of Legoland and SeaLife Aquarium!

The life of having 3 kids 8 and under!
We did Union Station a few winters ago over Christmas holiday. Like the weekend before Christmas. Pretty incredible there. Kids loved it.
Gotcha--I'd walk over there again if Crown Center gets stale. Museums of Illusions has opened since then. Stonehenge is the rotating attraction right now--not nearly as enticing as the dinosaur exhibit that just left, but something the adults may enjoy. Model train exhibit is under massive redevelopment right now.

Skip Fritz's. Crown Center restaurants are disappointing, but Spin Pizza is your best bet for the whole family.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Thanks CnB and Fish for ideas and suggestions.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i, and my niece and nephew all enjoyed the WW1 museum a few months ago
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:01 pm i, and my niece and nephew all enjoyed the WW1 museum a few months ago
Surprisingly great museum.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

just got back from a little “get away” to black canyon of the gunnison. Shit’s rad. I’d say you should check it out, but part of its appeal is it’s not nearly as crowded as most other stuff in CO, so you shouldn’t bother visiting.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Did you fish at the bottom of the canyon? I have heard stories about the river down there but haven't had the time when I visit to see for myself.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh yeah.

Well, just did the east portal, which is a gnarly switchback road to a car campground on the upstream end of the canyon.

I’ve scrambled down the “routes” (can’t call it a trail if you’re mostly just sliding down on your ass the whole time). They’re a bear, but get you access to perhaps the least pressured gold medal public water in the state.

This time around I was solo and didn’t wanna scramble down by myself, so I stuck to east portal. Still good river access, though the most crowded I ever seent it. Fishing was tough because of it, but I don’t think I saw a single tourist fishing who had any clue what they were doing. Good midge hatch late morning, and I drew a small crowd of y’all when I started getting them on tiny dries.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

One get-away trip I will not be taking soon: liveaboard scuba diving. That news story is the stuff of nightmares.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Back from my weekend trip to CO. Hiked my first 14er (Mt. Quandary), enjoyed Oktoberfest in Keystone and did a disappointing white water rafting trip. Not enough water to make it the experience I hoped for. Maybe we'll try it again in peak season next summer.

Today is for sore legs, a foggy head and a huge backlog of emails.
Deleted User 89

did some camping in the uintas over the weekend...wonderful weather and even better views

shoulda gone backcountry though, as the there were too many atv’ers to see any sort of major wildlife, and we ended up having inconsiderate “neighbors” at nearby sites

who goes camping and blasts music til 1am? buncha fuckwads, that’s who
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

When I go camping I just figure there'll be groups that stay up late.
Some people just like hanging out by the fire.
Turn down the music ( not off ) around 10:30-11 and I think you should be able to stay up as long as you want -- it's camping!
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

I have found camping to be an excuse for people to get together in a vacation type setting and getting drunk - instead of hanging out in/at their homes or at a local bar. To some/many camping is not much more than that.
Usually when people drink excessively in groups they get loud. Music or not. No matter what time of day/night/morning it is. No matter where they are.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

No one should expect quiet at a group campground. If tranquility is the goal, go to a camp site where you will be the only people there.
Deleted User 89

this wasn’t a group campground

this was dispersed camping on forest service land

there were a number of groups nearby, being courteous. unfortunately, some people suck
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

what kinda music we talking?

also, sorry to hear you were disappointed, twocoach. I almost said something about how the flows are too low this time of year to really constitute whitewater anywhere, in CO at least. Come back in June!

(unless it's a low snow year, in which case don't bother, and even then, check the flows and make sure there's actually water in the river you wanna float...and even then, it's hard to know when some "senior water rights" will drain the river dry as you're floating/standing in it.)

In one of my books somewhere I have a map of all the water diversions in Colorado. I dunno about the Ark, but wouldn't be surprised if they're diverting outta there as well, even in the higher reaches near boner vista.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Meh, we had fun. Saw a group of bighorn sheep. Enjoyed the technical challenges that the guide gave us to shoot through some tight lines. Chuckled with the rest of our group at our guide's funny stories. Enjoyed the sun, the peace and the lack of kids and work. All in all, still a great day.

A shitty day on vacation is still better than most regular days.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So beav and I are gonna try to Yellowstone in early October.

Anyone been?