Site Admin

Re: ESPN plus

Post by pdub »

It is terrible, yes.
But he has his own burrito!
vmlb

Post by vmlb »

What will the ISU fans think of the plus?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:24 am Terrible "Mexican" "food".
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Another + game? Fuck espn.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/ku ... about-espn

"It was really last spring the conference made the decision to expand our rights with ESPN," Kansas Athletic Director Jeff Long said Monday in an exclusive interview with 41 Action News. "They held our over the air rights."

Long stressed that the decision ultimately was made by the Big 12, but that streaming is the future of entertainment so it was a forward-thinking approach.

"We do think it's the future, not only for sporting events, but for entertainment, for movies, for television," Long said.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I'm surprised at how many people hate ESPN+. Sure, the announcers are pretty JV, but I can deal with that to watch KU play. I can also enjoy a game where they give a compliment or 2 to the other team without jumping off the rails calling them anti-KU and claiming "you can tell who they want to win!" Gives us national fans a chance to watch every game without giving our computers aids by using firstrowsports or the good old days of Justin.tv.

I also use it for more than just KU games, so for $5 a month it's really worth it for stuff like Peyton's Places and Detail on top of the pre and post game shows that weren't an option in the past.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

How come UNC, Duke, UK Mich St etc arent on espn+ then?
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:35 am I'm surprised at how many people hate ESPN+. Sure, the announcers are pretty JV, but I can deal with that to watch KU play. I can also enjoy a game where they give a compliment or 2 to the other team without jumping off the rails calling them anti-KU and claiming "you can tell who they want to win!" Gives us national fans a chance to watch every game without giving our computers aids by using firstrowsports or the good old days of Justin.tv.

I also use it for more than just KU games, so for $5 a month it's really worth it for stuff like Peyton's Places and Detail on top of the pre and post game shows that weren't an option in the past.
I'm fine with it but not for conference games. That's bs I think
Just Ledoux it
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

TDub wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:37 am How come UNC, Duke, UK Mich St etc arent on espn+ then?
They all have networks that you pay extra for more often than not in cable packages (Big Ten Network, ACC Network, Pac12 Network, etc) Basically ESPN+ is that extra service on the cable package, and cheaper than the $10/month extra that those other networks charge for.

Big 12 is actually surprisingly ahead of the game. Those other networks will die off as cable falls off, ESPN+ will be around much longer.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

We have spectrum's second tier service and get both Big 10 and ACC networks with it.
We also got Disney+ along with Hulu and espn+. No issues with streaming on anything other than espn +. Choppy video and frequent freezing.
Defense. Rebounds.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:25 am We have spectrum's second tier service and get both Big 10 and ACC networks with it.
We also got Disney+ along with Hulu and espn+. No issues with streaming on anything other than espn +. Choppy video and frequent freezing.
This is the problem.

Every game people complain about it. I've experienced it a bunch myself. There are always a bunch of people quick to defend it with. "Must be your ISP, mines been fine all night".

Well, maybe that's the problem. But I've had netflix cut out on me about a total of two times over several years and several ISPs, Amazon Prime never has that I can remember, actually pretty much any other streaming provider has fewer problems. ESPN+ seems to be about 50/50 as to whether it causes me problems. And this is accross multiple platforms (laptop, PS4, etc.)

Last night it would (for the first time ever) freeze up during commercials and then get caught in a loop where it would go back about 5 seconds and then freeze in the same spot again and again and again. I'd have to exit out of the stream and then reconnect. (happened twice, at least)

So the question is why is ESPN+ so shitty when EVERY other streaming service seems to have it figured out?

This has been the case in 4 different cities, and at least 6 different ISPs going back to ESPNs earliest iterations of streaming and it's pretty consistently been the worst streaming service I've used. So, you can tell me my internet sucks, but every other streaming service works just fine on shitty internet.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I do not have to pay extra for the big 10 network or the sec network. I do not have the acc or pac 10 network. I have to pay for those.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:58 am
jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:25 am We have spectrum's second tier service and get both Big 10 and ACC networks with it.
This is the problem.

Every game people complain about it. I've experienced it a bunch myself. There are always a bunch of people quick to defend it with. "Must be your ISP, mines been fine all night".

Well, maybe that's the problem. But I've had netflix cut out on me about a total of two times over several years and several ISPs, Amazon Prime never has that I can remember, actually pretty much any other streaming provider has fewer problems. ESPN+ seems to be about 50/50 as to whether it causes me problems. And this is accross multiple platforms (laptop, PS4, etc.)

Last night it would (for the first time ever) freeze up during commercials and then get caught in a loop where it would go back about 5 seconds and then freeze in the same spot again and again and again. I'd have to exit out of the stream and then reconnect. (happened twice, at least)

So the question is why is ESPN+ so shitty when EVERY other streaming service seems to have it figured out?

This has been the case in 4 different cities, and at least 6 different ISPs going back to ESPNs earliest iterations of streaming and it's pretty consistently been the worst streaming service I've used. So, you can tell me my internet sucks, but every other streaming service works just fine on shitty internet.
I can't even open the stream at least 50% of the time.

I was thinking last night - I'd be curious to see a line graph showing, on an annual basis, the percentage of KU game minutes I watched live (or substantially live) in any given season. I'd bet the number once hovered above 95% (accounting for an occasional game during a flight or something), and now sits well below 50%.

Of course, most of the decline is related to life, not broadcast logistics, but still.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I have no qualms with ESPN+. At $5 bucks a months they have a really good amount of content to watch. Streaming services like this are going to become the norm so people might as well get use to it.

The only gripe I have is the commercials get real repetitive, real quick and the announcers are TERRIBLE.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Remote broadcasts can occasionally have problems. If you look on the ESPN schedule, they broadcast a ton of games every night.
Better than have them blacked out.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 295

Post by Deleted User 295 »

With the disney+ HULU and Espn+ package all for like 12$ a month there's not much to complain about. Kids use disney wife uses hulu I use espn.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Geezer wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:23 am Remote broadcasts can occasionally have problems. If you look on the ESPN schedule, they broadcast a ton of games every night.
Better than have them blacked out.
But...that's a false choice. I don't recall it being the case, in the Jayhawk Network days, that there were very many games at all (including exhibitions) that were simply unavailable if you lived in the area and had cable.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Local tv stations picked Jayhawk Network games up. They don't have that option now under the new contract.

I think everyone is OK with the cost and the fact that streaming is the future, I don't think people like their feeling that KU is being treated like a second-class program being kicked to online only from games that used to always be on ESPN, 2, and U.

Most everyone here remembers when you could just turn on the TV and the KU game would always be there. 1 step.