Contributor

Re: Punt the Big 12 Tourney Petition

Post by jfish26 »

Yes.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:21 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:16 am Health over a meaningless trophy.

I'm not close to convinced we need 3 wins next week to be 1-1.
I'm not convinced we need any more the rest of the way. Remember, only wins matter (not losses).

Gonzaga and San Diego St. aren't picking up any more meaningful wins. And especially if Baylor can't get our pelt, neither are they.

Last week I suggested taking Friday off (trying to win Thursday, and then Saturday).

I've changed my mind. Don't try Thursday or Friday. If you get to Saturday, sure, play it straight for a shot at a trophy.
My thoughts exactly. We don't need any wins and can only give Baylor a boost for 1-1.

We can play with 4 guys, though, on Thursday and still win. Just hand the game over to Beard on Friday.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:11 am We could loose the no. 1 overall seed, which means not picking your location and potentially playing tougher opponents, if we lost 2 games in a row.

We aren't loosing a 1 seed at this point though so yea, do your thing Iowa State.
How important is it actually to "pick" the location? Even if they are the #2 overall they are still getting sent to Omaha/Indy.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Braun, Moss, Ochai, Enaruna, McCormack
That should compete with Iowa State sans Haliburton.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:27 am
pdub wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:11 am We could loose the no. 1 overall seed, which means not picking your location and potentially playing tougher opponents, if we lost 2 games in a row.

We aren't loosing a 1 seed at this point though so yea, do your thing Iowa State.
How important is it actually to "pick" the location? Even if they are the #2 overall they are still getting sent to Omaha/Indy.
Very very likely.
But there might, and emphasis on might, be a scenario where Dayton wins out, we loose 2 games in a row, and we are the 4th 1 seed behind Gonzaga, Dayton and Baylor, which might mean we go East.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think when it boils down to it, Indy vs. Houston doesn't really matter.

Dayton is also playing itself onto the 1-line. So could avoid the close-to-home 2-seed even in Indy.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I think the issue is further down the seed list. As I understand it, it's really not an S-curve where #1 overall will be matched up against #8 overall. It's that #5 overall gets slotted into the best place for THEM.

Almost up and down the board, Indianapolis will be "better" for the good teams. So being there means everything from #2-#9 will be "harder" for the #1.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:31 am

Very very likely.
But there might, and emphasis on might, be a scenario where Dayton wins out, we loose 2 games in a row, and we are the 4th 1 seed behind Gonzaga, Dayton and Baylor, which might mean we go East.
I think our floor right now is the #2 overall seed. Gonzaga, San Diego St., Dayton...none of them can get enough wins where being above us would even pass the laugh test.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I'd be more concerned about playing Dayton in the close-to-home 2 role than going East. I know pdub emphasized might, but there is no way KU falls to the 4th 1 seed.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Not a chance we're 1-4.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:41 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:51 am Minus an emergency situation, I would be ok if we don’t see sds again this season.

The kid has been too much work for the return.
Silvio should have five fouls Saturday, and each game next week.

The only thing I care about now is getting to the second weekend healthy. Our own health/fatigue is the only major risk until the Final Four.
^^^

/thread
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:31 am

Very very likely.
There arent enough games left for us to lose to drop behind Dayton and Gonzaga. We have so many quality wins, including the head to head over Dayton, and neither team has any more big resume building wins available.

We are at worst, the #2 overall seed.

I hope we win 10 more games on the season. I dont think playing half assed in an effort to rest players in the Big 12 tourney does anything to better prepare us to win 6 games in the tourney. We have excellent trainers and have been in this rodeo before. We have a nice long break before the Big 12 tourney (Saturday to Thursday) and another nice long break afterwards (Saturday to Friday when the first game in Omaha is played) so playing guys 5 minutes less in a Big 12 semifinal game really isnt much of an impact.

Play hard.
Play to win.
Don't do half assed reps right before the tourney; now is the time to perfect the game.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I don't want half ass reps. I want no reps.

Self has built in excuses for Garrett-Udoka-Dotson with the injuries.

Maybe they'll pull a Josh Jackson and not show up to court. Easy stuff.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:57 am
Play hard.
Play to win.
Don't do half assed reps right before the tourney; now is the time to perfect the game.
You're missing the point. It's not about playing Dotson 30 minutes, instead of 37. It's about him not even playing at all. Same for Dok and Garrett.

I get if they were told playing on it won't make it worse, or whatever. But that doesn't mean it's getting better. Take the week. Rest and rehab. A game next Friday means as much to this team as an October game again Pitt State.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The problem is that without Dotson and Garrett, we have literally no backup guards that aren't walkons.

Realistically, you probably need to stagger off days for them, Thursday and Friday.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Well, there's former PG Braun. But, for me, I don't see the problem with running Jank out there and getting beat on Thursday or Friday.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:11 am Well, there's former PG Braun. But, for me, I don't see the problem with running Jank out there and getting beat on Thursday or Friday.
Braun's not a backup if both Dot and Garrett are out. Shit, in that circumstance neither is Enaruna or McCormack. Might have to go two-big just to have five guys on the floor.

Not having even a Tharpe- or Moore-type shitbag on the roster has consequences.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Ah, backup. I get it.

Supposedly, the reason Harris is not playing is because his ACT score was lower than his age.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:18 am Ah, backup. I get it.

Supposedly, the reason Harris is not playing is because his ACT score was lower than his age.
Must have tighter controls on that now than during some other points in time.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:15 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:11 am Well, there's former PG Braun. But, for me, I don't see the problem with running Jank out there and getting beat on Thursday or Friday.
Braun's not a backup if both Dot and Garrett are out. Shit, in that circumstance neither is Enaruna or McCormack. Might have to go two-big just to have five guys on the floor.

Not having even a Tharpe- or Moore-type shitbag on the roster has consequences.
Play Teahan. I actually think he's one of the highest quality walk-ons KU has had in a quite a while. 6'4 and can shoot. Don't think it'd hurt anything..

Lineup should be:
Braun, Moss, Enaruna, Ochai, Dave. Silvio, Teahan, Jank and Elliot off the bench.

Won't happen that way.
Self will play Dotson, Garrett and Dok all 20 minutes until NCAA tournament. Keep them fresh but not rusty.

And Dave and Silvio will play a shit ton.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG