Chicago

Ugh.
Deleted User 289

Re: Chicago

Post by Deleted User 289 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:06 pm Nice try.

Chicago created their own mess because they wanted to show the world how hip and happening and “woke” they are. Now you can clean up your own mess.

Consequences of being “woke” in 2020.
"Nice try"? What am I trying?
I'm being 100% serious when I say, please educate me.
When you say "they" and "woke", who exactly and what exactly are you referring to?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:58 pm The “woke” in Chicago want the feds to stay out of it. The “woke” in Chicago want the police defunded. but the “woke” in Chicago will gladly slob up federal tax dollars to clean up their mess.

Gotta love the woke.
Except for the police part you just described WV, Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, Louisiana, Arkansas and Texas, and Senators and Reps from there.
Deleted User 289

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDwYCwclvoL/?

A place close to my heart for many reasons including but not limited to my 87 year old mother volunteering there.

"Members" of the Black Lives Matter "movement" or not, the people who did that are clearly assholes with no morals.
Since the Mayor and Police can't control it and are too big of assholes to ask for and accept Fed help, I'm anxiously waiting for the "good guys" to take matters in to their own hands.
Time to show these fucks their actions will not be tolerated. How funny would it be to have fat fucks like me and 75 year olds being snipers out their apartment windows? Not funny at all.
But potentially necessary?
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Does anyone else get the feeling that Mich had the expression "woke" explained to him one day last week and now he doesn't know how to use it or when to stop?
Deleted User 289

Yes, I get that feeling too.
I don't pretend to be smart and I surely can't read people's mind/s so I was hoping he/she would explain him/herself to me because I was genuinely interested in his claim/s and assessment/s.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

"Yet once you've come to be part of this particular patch, you'll never love another. Like loving a woman with a broken nose, you may well find lovelier lovelies. But never a lovely so real."
Deleted User 289

Written by Rick Kogan (family friend) for today's Tribune.

Hearing despair and anger walking through Chicago’s Gold Coast on Monday morning. ‘What is this city becoming?'

Across the street from where I live there is an ancient, famous structure. It is the Water Tower, and affixed to it are three brass plaques noting its durability and significance. Built in 1869, it survived the Great Chicago Fire two years later and has witnessed all manner of changes since, and one of its plaques praises the structure for its “symbolic identity with the spirit of Chicago.”

What now is the “spirit” of Chicago?

Monday morning, after a night of terror and confusion and destruction for so many, a dozen people sat in chairs in the handsome park that surrounds the Water Tower and watched as across Chicago Avenue, three men swept and shoveled mounds of shattered glass that was once a display window in the Ralph Lauren Polo store.

“I don’t know. I just don’t know what to make of this anymore,” said Benjamin Larson, sitting in the park and also saying he was “75 years old and have lived only a few blocks away for the last 28 years, with a wife and a new dog.”

Talking to him and many others as I walked through the Gold Coast and Streeterville neighborhoods, I heard similar words of despair. I heard words of anger. I heard words of fear. Some people said they were thinking of moving. Some said they were moving “as soon as we can get out.” Others said they would be afraid to come downtown ever again. One young man said, “What is this city becoming when I would be scared to go out at night? What is my life becoming?”

On Oak Street, a couple of storefronts long empty were still offering in their windows “Prime Retail Space” (“Good luck with that,” said a police sergeant walking past) next to stores whose windows had been destroyed, stores empty. Jimmy Choo, a high-end shoe retailer, was hit hard, yet next door a young man was neatly arranging watches in the windows of Geneva Seal.

On Rush Street, the tables at Gibsons and other restaurants were set for diners yet to arrive. People ate omelets at the Pancake House to the east. Mariano Park was dotted with coffee drinkers. People walked their dogs and strolled with their babies.

I have lived in this city most of my lengthy life, and these two neighborhoods have been at the center of my schooling and sleeping and existing.

They are very nice neighborhoods. The richest man in Illinois, hedge fund manager and billionaire Ken Griffin, has an apartment across the street from the Water Tower, and the stores that dot the area’s streets are very fine and expensive, the restaurants too.

But make no mistake. These are neighborhoods, populated by tens of thousands of people who have never shopped for shoes at Jimmy Choo, eaten a steak at Gibsons or purchased a condo on Delaware. People work here. People visit here. They are neighborhoods alive with hopes and dreams and struggles and joys.

Monday morning the streets were filled with a lot of cops and a lot of people who seemed to be curiosity seekers, many toting and using cameras and iPhones.

“My mother won’t believe this,” said Betsy Mendelsohn, a suburban teacher as she snapped iPhone shots of a ravaged Oliver Peoples eyeglass store. “I don’t believe it.”

Stores had been damaged in what seemed a random fashion.

Monday shortly after 10 a.m., 21-year-old Alec Montgomery was busy working behind the counter at Stan’s Donuts on Rush when he told me, “It’s crazy. Crazy good, I suppose, because we are one of the only places open now and we were not damaged at all. People seem grateful to have some place to go.”

Earlier this year, I took a walk down Wabash Avenue to see what had occurred in the aftermath of the George Floyd killing. Wabash was hit again Monday, as were other sections of this beleaguered city. But, and tell me if I am wrong, didn’t there seem to be some flickers of optimism in the slow but steady healing from all that?

Perhaps that is why Monday was so shockingly frightening. Many of those starting to see hope on the horizon awoke to horror.

What erupted on Monday may have been born of the anger and hopelessness but was surely fueled by the mere lawlessness of hundreds of people. You will hear on TV and read in print the nickel-and-dime notions of do-it-yourself psychologists and sociologists.

Answers? Good luck.

But this has ever been a city, a populace, that prides itself on resilience.
Blizzard? Bring it on.
Losing sports teams? We love them anyway.
Traffic jams? Potholes? We can handle that.

Poverty and inequity? More difficult, tragic matters to handle, to fix.

A block from the Water Tower is the Clare, a high-rise senior independent living facility that calls itself “An Extraordinary Community in the Heart of It All.”

Monday the heart of it all was broken. And a ferocious storm was rolling in.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

chiknbut wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:42 pm Does anyone else get the feeling that Mich had the expression "woke" explained to him one day last week and now he doesn't know how to use it or when to stop?
Did they explain it to him incorrectly? He seems pretty butthurt by it.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 289

This is how my evening has gone.......

This was my play by play looking out my window......
There was a large boat in the "play pen" that had what I will refer to as disco lights flashing. There was a guy in another boat the size of my bathtub who had a flare he was waving. My guess is he was in "distress". The people on the large boat were basically ignoring him. One of the two boats had been repeatedly blowing an air horn. It was difficult for me to see because it's so dark but the large boat moved towards the smaller boat. I couldn't tell if they rescued the guy but the larger boat took off.

It looks like the tiny boat has now been abandoned so I am assuming the big boat "rescued" him.

Now all of a sudden there are a shitload of "rescue" vehicles pulled up near the lake. Seems they are searching for the guy but I have a strong feeling he's on the bigger boat that took off.

Two police/CFD boats just pulled up along side the bathtub boat. Looks like either they found the guy or they know he's on the other boat because they are taking off. NEVER a dull moment in the city.

Now this......

https://twitter.com/Chicago_Scanner/sta ... 2903438336
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Hang in there gutter. There are worse things than living in Chicago...you could be lobster.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:06 pm Hang in there gutter. There are worse things than living in Chicago...you could be woke.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 289

Deleted User 289

Assholes being assholes tonight. "Protesters" throwing shit at and getting in the faces of cops in the Loop.
Cops are fighting back and I am thrilled to see it.
At one point there was a chant - "Who shut shit down, we shut shit down".
I was tempted to try and get over there and pay cops $20 a piece to pepper spray the shit out of each person who comes within 10 feet of them - so I could get in their face and laugh at them.
Fuck 'em all.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Police brutality isnt the answer either. Just a bad situation all around.
Deleted User 289

I feel "Police brutality" may be exactly the answer - if the people deserve to have the brutality administered to/on them. Fine line between being gentle and being "brutal" when dealing with people who blatantly disregard and disrespect you to the point where they are physically assaulting you - unprovoked and then they resist your arresting/subduing them.
Sitting back like they (the cops) have been doing as people have thrown frozen bottles, urine, bricks, etc. at them served what purpose in the past - in terms of curbing the "violence" and "criminal activity"?
Last night people were repeatedly instructed to do things (such as move back) and they ignored the "orders". Much of what the police did last night was to protect the "protesters" and the businesses they (the protesters) were potentially impacting.
As I said to someone this morning, true or not, I believe not a single cop intentionally did anything to anyone who was minding their own business and "peacefully" protesting.
Yes, there were SOME good people who did not deserve what they got but they happened to be near people who did - and they (the good people) allowed (and some encouraged) those bad people to do what they did.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

"As I said to someone this morning, true or not, I believe not a single cop intentionally did anything to anyone who was minding their own business and "peacefully" protesting."

Gutter, can you really expect people to just sit back and "take" more abuse from the hands of those who are supposedly there to protect them? Especially when they've already suffered through it for decades?

Great, the police acted responsibly during these rallies - when cameras were all around. What about all the times the police pulled people over because they weren't white? There's quite a few reasons behind this massive protesting. And violence, handed out by the police, is a big part of it. I hardly think more police violence is the answer.

How about we start to go after the real cause behind all of the protests - poverty.

Defund the police, despite what morons like Mich say, isn't about taking anything away from the police - other than hysterical weaponry. It's about using the money to help improve schools and social programs. To improve healthcare (specifically mental healthcare) in the poorest neighborhoods. To get to the root of the problem instead of beating it over the head with a club.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

That last sentence especially just earned yourself a POTD
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Any grief Chicago cops get is probably well earned.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -thousands

Just one of the issues.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 289

chiknbut wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:47 am "As I said to someone this morning, true or not, I believe not a single cop intentionally did anything to anyone who was minding their own business and "peacefully" protesting."

Gutter, can you really expect people to just sit back and "take" more abuse from the hands of those who are supposedly there to protect them? Especially when they've already suffered through it for decades?

Great, the police acted responsibly during these rallies - when cameras were all around. What about all the times the police pulled people over because they weren't white? There's quite a few reasons behind this massive protesting. And violence, handed out by the police, is a big part of it. I hardly think more police violence is the answer.

How about we start to go after the real cause behind all of the protests - poverty.

Defund the police, despite what morons like Mich say, isn't about taking anything away from the police - other than hysterical weaponry. It's about using the money to help improve schools and social programs. To improve healthcare (specifically mental healthcare) in the poorest neighborhoods. To get to the root of the problem instead of beating it over the head with a club.
Respectful response.....

I would never expect anyone to sit back and take more abuse from cops.
Just as I would never expect anyone to step forward and dish out abuse on cops.
Unfortunately both happen - too frequently - and I have witnessed both first hand.

I will never defend police for pulling people over simply because they weren't white.

More police violence is probably not the answer but their sitting back and taking abuse and allowing my/our city to get destroyed because they didn't "fight back" - I have a problem with that.
Can't allow the "bad guys" to think they have free rein without possible/probable physical and legal repercussions.

I'm 100% in agreement that the real cause (poverty) needs to be addressed.

It seems like you, I try to explain to people that don't and/or can't comprehend how and why "defunding" the police can be a good thing for many reasons.

Bottom line is we may be discussing different facets of a big problem but I think we are on the same page in many regards. Or at least the same chapter.