WSU

Kansas Basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Re: WSU

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Thad Matta apparently saying no. Because who would say yes, except this is to say that WSU is reaching out to Danny Manning. Unknown if interest is reciprocated, but interesting
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Please say no Danny.
You'd be better off coaching at a school like UNC Asheville or something.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Wichita. The city where everything goes to die. Just say no, D-Man.

Even though, being from country back in high school I did enjoy my time spent at Towne East and the teen club over on Kellogg.
Holidaysmore - 2005
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

what's Greggg's legacy there? what's his future look like? does he have a future?

was he really that successful, or did he just catch lightning in a bottle aka nba talent that was willing to put up with his bullshit for a few years?

did they ever hang a jersey in the rafters for Marty Frankamp?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:43 am Thad Matta apparently saying no. Because who would say yes, except this is to say that WSU is reaching out to Danny Manning. Unknown if interest is reciprocated, but interesting
I know for a fact that Danny was on his way to Wichita when Marshall was one foot out the door the first time. But, like I said in the Silvio thread, these college coaches are finding NBA jobs to be pretty comfy. Plus, I've heard that Danny knows Kevin Pritchard quite well.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

it seems like it takes a special breed to just even want to bother with college coaching over NBA

you don't have to recruit cuz you have a GM doing it for you, you're coaching actual adults making a career of it rather than college kids, you're dealing with legit paid professionals rather than "amateurs" hot off the black market, you don't have to worry about shit like limits to practice time or qualifying academically, and you get an actual offseason.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:16 am Wichita. The city where everything goes to die. Just say no, D-Man.

Even though, being from country back in high school I did enjoy my time spent at Towne East and the teen club over on Kellogg.
I can't believe I'm saying it, but at this point, Wichita State might be the better job than Wake Forest. Wake has the coveted ACC membership, but after that? WSU would be more money, more resources, more support, and easier to build a Sweet 16 team.

Wichita itself is, of course, awful.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:34 am it seems like it takes a special breed to just even want to bother with college coaching over NBA

you don't have to recruit cuz you have a GM doing it for you, you're coaching actual adults making a career of it rather than college kids, you're dealing with legit paid professionals rather than "amateurs" hot off the black market, you don't have to worry about shit like limits to practice time or qualifying academically, and you get an actual offseason.
The college ranks do give you a little more stability and a ton of opportunities to be a provincial coaching king.

The percentage of people in LA who know who the Clippers just hired is extremely low (and the guy hired has an NBA title). Self's obviously a god in Lawrence. Weber is VIP in Manhattan, the Kansas version. Cal could be the governor of Kentucky. Archie Miller has groupies in Bloomington. Even Wichita, Gregggg the weirdo was worshipped.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:39 am
holidaysmore wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:16 am Wichita. The city where everything goes to die. Just say no, D-Man.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but at this point, Wichita State might be the better job than Wake Forest. Wake has the coveted ACC membership, but after that? WSU would be more money, more resources, more support, and easier to build a Sweet 16 team.

All Wichita bashing aside if I was D-Man I would take that job if the money is right for all the reasons you just described. The expectations are extremely lower and you can fly under the radar while you build your program.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"The expectations are extremely lower..."

I don't think after the Marshall era that WSU would be happy with loosing.
Danny stepped into a Wake Forest program accustomed to loosing.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Gregggggggg resigned.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Save whatever face he can.

He will quickly land at a mid-major in a smaller community in the south.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

He gets paid $7.75M over 6 years. Wut

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Surprised they couldn't find an out to that buyout. Might still be a fight left.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:15 am Surprised they couldn't find an out to that buyout. Might still be a fight left.
Probably going to be similar to a Les Miles type of thing. He had like $6.5M remaining from LSU but to take the KU job, he lowered the payout to $1.5M and got paid that amount immediately and was no longer tied to LSU.

Would imagine if some school wants to hire him, he'll have to cut that payout to at least half.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Setoff will certainly come into play if he gets another job.

The big obvious difference, though, to Les Miles is that Les didn't punch a player or choke a coach.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

True.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:59 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:39 am

All Wichita bashing aside if I was D-Man I would take that job if the money is right for all the reasons you just described. The expectations are extremely lower and you can fly under the radar while you build your program.
I come down more on this side of the fence. Yes, Wichita is not good.

But there's a lot of KU support there, and he can glom onto that in a much more meaningful way than he could anywhere besides Lawrence (even with UMKC in mind).

If what he ends up with at Wichita is kids that grew up loving KU but weren't quite good enough for Bill...that could be a workable program.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Resigns, gets 7.5 million $.

Pretty sweet gig.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... estigation
Defense. Rebounds.