Dogs

Coffee talk.
shindig

Re: Dogs

Post by shindig »

That's a great story kubowler. Glad your kids got over their fears. My neighbor's kids a couple houses down are terrified of dogs...not sure why, but the daughter, who's probably 9, will literally run inside every time someone is walking down the sidewalk walking their dog on a leash. I asked the father once if something happened in the past and he didn't think so and wasn't sure why she was so afraid of them.

He needs to do what you did, but I think his wife isn't a big fan of dogs, so she's probably instilled some fear in them, who knows.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

kubowler99 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:13 pm Before kids, we had a dog and two cats. The dog (Shelby) passed a few days after my middle son was born (we think Shelby had some type of stroke while we were at the hospital and had lost some motor functions). We decided at that time to not get another dog, and that lasted for about 5 years after. We lost the cats during those 5 years.

Our middle son had an incident with a dog when he was still in a carrier (nothing bad, but a large dog stuck his head into the carry to check him out, and it seemed to traumatize him from that point forward). Fast forward a few years, and all three of our kids are afraid of all dogs. And I just couldn't deal with it. We had to get a dog.

We decide to go with a rescue - a Lab/Pointer mix. Wonderful dog. Very active, but kids are still deathly afraid, to the point that if the dog is running towards them to play, they would scream in terror. We decided to go to group dog training at Pets Mart. We figured a controlled environment with other people would help ease their fear.

We got really lucky, as the time we chose we were the only ones there. So we got 1 on 1 time with the trainer for a full hour every weekend for I think 6 weeks. The kids (even our youngest who was 3 at the time) learned they were in control. After our first session - the fear was gone. I'd never seen them so happy. Best money we ever spent.

We added a 2nd dog about 6 months later. It's been 8 years now. Both dogs are 10+, and yes, I'm dreading that day.

But I wouldn't trade the last 8 years for anything.
great story
Deleted User 89

shindig

Post by shindig »

Any advice on a sick pooch? Magnum ate his dinner last night, then immediately threw it up (on a large area rug of course). I gave him a little bit more later last night and he threw up again in the middle of the night, same rug :(. Not sure what to give him, bland meal like rice and chicken? I sent my vet a txt, but haven't heard back.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Any signs of an obstruction? Hope and pray not, but that is always my first flag with digestive issues.
I am, I said.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We fed our pup rice and small pieces of boiled chicken for a week for an upset stomach ( we think she ate something rotten in the woods ) about half a year ago and it worked out OK.
Deleted User 89

what soklous and pdub said
shindig

Post by shindig »

He went to Pooches Paradise doggy day care yesterday, so I'm hoping he just picked up a stomach bug. He seems pretty normal, a little lethargic, but is drinking water.

Guess I'll run to the grocery store and get some rice, I'm not a big rice fan.

Thanks all, I'll keep you updated. Poor kiddo :(
Deleted User 89

one of ours seems to have acid reflux or something similar. it’s a relatively recent development, but if she doesn’t get fed regularly, she gets an upset stomach. she now gets a small treat in between her 2x daily feeding.

not saying this is what yours is going through, shindig, just that it could be something odd (and not necessarily a huge issue)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I went camping with some friends and Bad Dog (aka Kali, this "basenji" aka pitt mix I've posted about before)

anywho, bad dog is bounding through the juniper forest and finds a decaying deer leg, severed at the hip. Of course bad dog loves it and is just chowing down. I suggest to her hoomans that old rotten carrion prob isn't the healthiest snack, but they of course just shrug it off. Bad hoomans.

so then in the middle of the night bad dog explosive shits all over their tent. I'm somehow more responsible than most dog owners, even having never had one myself.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

shindig

Post by shindig »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:12 am one of ours seems to have acid reflux or something similar. it’s a relatively recent development, but if she doesn’t get fed regularly, she gets an upset stomach. she now gets a small treat in between her 2x daily feeding.

not saying this is what yours is going through, shindig, just that it could be something odd (and not necessarily a huge issue)
Yeah it seems common in my boxer as well and I'll give him a Pepcid or something comparable and that usually helps with too much acid. But in those cases, he never wanted to eat, now he seems hungry, but is vomiting after he eats. He's anxiously waiting for his boiled chicken and rice to cool down...lol. My vet said to give him just a cup of rice and chicken now and then another cup later in the afternoon.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Did he get into chicken wing bones or other cooked bones?
Just Ledoux it
shindig

Post by shindig »

TDub wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:16 am Did he get into chicken wing bones or other cooked bones?
I don't think so. I'm pretty careful with that stuff and I don't give him rawhide bones. Hopefully after he eats, he poops 💩 and then I can see if anything looks odd. Yes the joys of dog ownership, examining their poop.

I forgot how much rice expands when cooked...lol. I thought a half cup or a little more would be sufficient, but now I have enough white rice for a week...lol.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I carry gorilla poops. Sometimes two handers.

Tear it down?

https://twitter.com/CBSNewYork/status/1 ... 59873?s=20
I am, I said.
Deleted User 89

he’s no Hachi
shindig

Post by shindig »

Well I think he's on the mend. He ate his chicken and rice and I mixed in some Fromm's canned pumpkin food for digestive support. I took him for a walk around 1 and he had a nice solid poop, nothing looked strange. Just hoping he doesn't barf in the middle of the night again.
Deleted User 89

purina dog competitions on nbc

always enjoy watching. the dogs just look like they’re having a ball
Deleted User 89

hero dachshund saves chiweenie (chihuahua x dachshund?) from mountain lion attack in colorado

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/ ... ion-attack
Deleted User 89