Marjorie Taylor Greene: Queen QAnon

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: Marjorie Taylor Greene: Queen QAnon

Post by ousdahl »

It makes me wonder who’s really behind all the Q bullshit.

Would anyone be surprised if its origins could be traced back conspicuously close to mainstream GOP leadership?

At the very least, republicans could do a much better job, or any job at all, of coming out and saying it’s just a kooky conspiracy and distancing themselves from as much, yet here we are
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:59 am It makes me wonder who’s really behind all the Q bullshit.

Would anyone be surprised if its origins could be traced back conspicuously close to mainstream GOP leadership?

At the very least, republicans could do a much better job, or any job at all, of coming out and saying it’s just a kooky conspiracy and distancing themselves from as much, yet here we are
It's probably someone like Trump. Not really a republican but someone who sees how gullible republicans are. The most hilarious thing about Trumpers is that they violently defend someone who doesn't really share their political views.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:02 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:59 am It makes me wonder who’s really behind all the Q bullshit.

It's probably someone like Trump. Not really a republican but someone who sees how gullible republicans are. The most hilarious thing about Trumpers is that they violently defend someone who doesn't really share their political views.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:02 am

I'm certain there's an opportunistic/parasitic aspect of it.

That said, we're not doing our job if we're not thinking hard about why such a big segment of society was so goddamned susceptible to falling for what is essentially a cult.

Unity and healing does not mean making nice and letting bygones be bygones. It does mean working hard to improve things for those who really were left behind in the last generation of urbanization, globalization of the economy, etc.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

do you really think it’s the result of urbanization/globalization?

i think it’s a failing of our education system, more than anything
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:50 am do you really think it’s the result of urbanization/globalization?

Education system, criminal justice system, healthcare system, etc.

I continue to think that there would be an enormous bang-for-the-buck in universal pre-K (if not daycare), and substantially improved after-school programs.
Deleted User 89

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:54 am
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:50 am do you really think it’s the result of urbanization/globalization?

I continue to think that there would be an enormous bang-for-the-buck in universal pre-K (if not daycare), and substantially improved after-school programs.
yes

and i hate to get all soap-boxy, but i think we really need to prioritize primary education, and not just by throwing more money at it. same with criminal justice/law enforcement

we need to be at least trying to put the best possible people in those positions. they are being tasked with enormous responsibilities.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:00 am

yes

and i hate to get all soap-boxy, but i think we really need to prioritize primary education, and not just by throwing more money at it. same with criminal justice/law enforcement

we need to be at least trying to put the best possible people in those positions. they are being tasked with enormous responsibilities.
It's almost like, when you cut as many strands of the social safety net as you can before it's just a jumprope, you have entire segments of the population who can (and do) fall through it.
Deleted User 89

yup
Deleted User 89

i’ll also add that we need a national strategy for teaching the facts, regardless of the light it sheds on our nation’s history

it is incredibly silly (to me) that each state basically gets to pick and choose what they teach. there is no reason that a black man that grew up in Tulsa, OK shouldn’t be taught about the tumultuous history of that city. whitewashing history, and even modern reality does nothing to serve the greater good of this country.

learn from the past or be doomed to repeat it

the US is an exceptional country, but it is not without its flaws
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:09 am i’ll also add that we need a national strategy for teaching the facts, regardless of the light it sheds on our nation’s history

it is incredibly silly (to me) that each state basically gets to pick and choose what they teach. there is no reason that a black man that grew up in Tulsa, OK shouldn’t be taught about the tumultuous history of that city. whitewashing history, and even modern reality does nothing to serve the greater good of this country.

learn from the past or be doomed to repeat it

the US is an exceptional country, but it is not without its flaws
I would guess that a significant portion of these people are a product of home schooling
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I'd personally rather see the money Dems want to spend on "free college" be used to dramatically upgrade the pre K-12 public education systems nationwide. The same amount of money would benefit more people and benefit them at the base of their education journey instead of near the end.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:40 am

I'd personally rather see the money Dems want to spend on "free college" be used to dramatically upgrade the pre K-12 public education systems nationwide. The same amount of money would benefit more people and benefit them at the base of their education journey instead of near the end.
Probably included in what you mean, but help more people and their parents.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

yes

How many of the "best possible people" were pursuing "Elementary Education" degrees when you went to college? I found that the talent pool of folks looking to become elementary school teachers was not very talented when compared to those pursuing degrees of higher paying jobs. If it was a career where you could make better money, you might get better talent. I'll spend the money it takes to get a degree to get an $85k job, not a $35k job.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:42 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:40 am

Probably included in what you mean, but help more people and their parents.
And the communities in which they live. Better educated citizens create better communities and better opportunities to those in them.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Right. And after-school programming would have a dramatic effect on youth crime rates, and obviously a ton of immediate and follow-on good flows from that.
Deleted User 89

twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:47 am

yes

How many of the "best possible people" were pursuing "Elementary Education" degrees when you went to college? I found that the talent pool of folks looking to become elementary school teachers was not very talented when compared to those pursuing degrees of higher paying jobs. If it was a career where you could make better money, you might get better talent. I'll spend the money it takes to get a degree to get an $85k job, not a $35k job.
and that’s part of my point
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 89

dangerous kook
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:43 pm dangerous kook
Getting paid $174,000 a year by our Government.