Goodbye Les, we hardly knew ye...

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Goodbye Les, we hardly knew ye...

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Everyone at this level can coach. Apple-to-apples a bit, but look at Wichita State basketball. Coach is fired 2 weeks before season. Players rally behind interim coach, they go 15-4 and interim coach becomes Head Coach.

Everyone can coach and let young men at this level. You either hire one of your top 3 list, or you stay internal.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The players also rallied behind Clint Bowen.

We certainly have guys that can handle it for a season, but college football is a big political beast that needs a strong head guy that can withstand a couple recruiting cycles.

Maybe Emmett Jones can be that guy, but that feels a situation that would need an interim tag. And I’d be fine with that route at this point.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I sense that Long is going to go all out. He has a shard of light at the end of the tunnel if he does. We might be surprised.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

if there’s an interim assistant, then what does that say about Long’s already questionable abilities?

(and i’ve got no issues an interim assistant, if for no other reason than to salvage at least some continuity)
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Sparko wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:35 am I sense that Long is going to go all out. He has a shard of light at the end of the tunnel if he does. We might be surprised.
After he fired Beaty, Long looked down his nose at the idea of a search committee.

After last night’s announcement, Long immediately said a search committee will be involved.

Makes you wonder if he has any say in this one. Feels like a retirement is coming right after the hoops NCAA thing ends.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:27 am Everyone at this level can coach. Apple-to-apples a bit, but look at Wichita State basketball. Coach is fired 2 weeks before season. Players rally behind interim coach, they go 15-4 and interim coach becomes Head Coach.

Everyone can coach and let young men at this level. You either hire one of your top 3 list, or you stay internal.
Come on, Newton. You don't fall in love with the back up QB or the interim head coach.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:41 am
Sparko wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:35 am I sense that Long is going to go all out. He has a shard of light at the end of the tunnel if he does. We might be surprised.
After he fired Beaty, Long looked down his nose at the idea of a search committee.

After last night’s announcement, Long immediately said a search committee will be involved.

Makes you wonder if he has any say in this one. Feels like a retirement is coming right after the hoops NCAA thing ends.
My bet is that he has little-to-no say in the hire.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:55 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:27 am Everyone at this level can coach. Apple-to-apples a bit, but look at Wichita State basketball. Coach is fired 2 weeks before season. Players rally behind interim coach, they go 15-4 and interim coach becomes Head Coach.

Come on, Newton. You don't fall in love with the back up QB or the interim head coach.
Understood. Just saying, it's not that far off.

But we all loved Stanley and he did alright in 2019 ;)

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

the hoops thing has been mentioned a number of times as a reason KU shouldn’t get rid of Long right now

why is this? is there a thought/consensus
that no other potential ADs would be interested?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

So I’ve read some National thoughts today on Kansas football.

I’m all aboard the Triple-Option Offense train. Give me Jeff Monken.

He held a Kyler Murray offense at OU to 21 points in regulation because he barely got the chance to get the ball.

If KU wants to win games, do the triple option. You can’t do this conventionally. You have to do it with something different that your conference opponents cannot prepare for on a weekly basis.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

You do this at Kansas and people are happy. Look at TOP and offensive stats. Army outgained OU and outpossessed them by 30 minutes. Lol

https://www.espn.com/college-football/g ... =401013066

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:01 am

the hoops thing has been mentioned a number of times as a reason KU shouldn’t get rid of Long right now

why is this? is there a thought/consensus
that no other potential ADs would be interested?
He has fought alongside Self and the lawyers throughout the whole process against lack of institutional control. Bad time to change for both the investigation and, yes, the fact that we'd be AD-less until after it's over.

Firing him today is basically just optics. Given that it's March, we're not bringing in a new AD that can get us a 2021 football coach.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:07 am So I’ve read some National thoughts today on Kansas football.

I’m all aboard the Triple-Option Offense train. Give me Jeff Monken.

He held a Kyler Murray offense at OU to 21 points in regulation because he barely got the chance to get the ball.

If KU wants to win games, do the triple option. You can’t do this conventionally. You have to do it with something different that your conference opponents cannot prepare for on a weekly basis.
Triple option with the worst OL in FBS and a position we haven't been able to recruit in over a decade?

I'm good if it works, but I'm skeptical it does in Lawrence.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Triple Option isn't all about the OL. It does help, but they often have undersized linemen, who are quick enough and know how to use leverage.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I mean, none of their starting OL exceed 300 pounds. And they're all like 6' to 6'4.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Installing a triple option at KU would be the most KU thing ever and at this point I'm here for it. What do we have to lose other than probably half if not more of our recruiting class.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yes, I'm skeptical of it working in the Big 12, but we are in a position where every real candidate can be picked apart to some extent.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I want winners. I want to win. Don't care about accolades.

Conventional doesn't work here.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Does Nolan Cromwell have any eligibility? Triple option requires an athletic QB who takes monster blows occasionally.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Jordan Medley is a QB on the roster. Chose KU over some small schools. But also chose KU over Army and Air Force.

You have a option QB on the roster right now.