Still NCAA Champs or bust

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: Still NCAA Champs or bust

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:29 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:26 pm How many college basketball championship teams in history have had a horrible loss like this on their resume?
I was just about to post:

In 2011-12 KU had a double digit December loss to Davidson.

In 2017-18 KU had back to back December losses to bad Pac 12 teams, including a home loss to an ASU led by 21 points from some curly haired freshman named Remy
Those teams didn't win national championships either, so there's that.

Should have gone with the 08 slump.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But Clemence gonna be better then em all.

Hes my American Psycho.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Feels like this team would still mostly get killed by last year's USC squad.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

InfiniteJ wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:32 pm Feels like this team would still mostly get killed by last year's USC squad.
Considering one of them may be NBA ROY, perhaps.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:34 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:32 pm Feels like this team would still mostly get killed by last year's USC squad.
Considering one of them may be NBA ROY, perhaps.
And it feels like that because we just played hopefully our worst game of the season.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

(Now compare Joe and Braun’s stat lines against USC in the tournament!)

And yeah Joe doesn’t get the schemes on offense or defense yet, and yeah Christian knows the system and has been playing better.

But Joe is a true guard who can make things happen with the ball in his hands. Players like that are critical to making a run.

And our best teams have had multiple small ballhandlers. Currently, we have one getting big minutes. (Dajuan barely counts)

We have two others who could get up to speed. I think that’s as important as anything toward title aspirations.

Yeah a solid wing who does a lot of things well is a nice piece to have. But unless Christian can turn a corner scoring-wise, I don’t think he’s the guy we wanna scheme around.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Self has the motivation game til Jan.
I secretly think he does this on purple bc he doesn't actually get beet red Self mad. He just stares blankly and stares up at the scoreboard exasperated.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:31 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:29 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:26 pm How many college basketball championship teams in history have had a horrible loss like this on their resume?
I was just about to post:

In 2011-12 KU had a double digit December loss to Davidson.

In 2017-18 KU had back to back December losses to bad Pac 12 teams, including a home loss to an ASU led by 21 points from some curly haired freshman named Remy
Those teams didn't win national championships either, so there's that.

Should have gone with the 08 slump.
If I recall the 08 slump didn’t happen til conference play. I was looking for more of those early season noncon turds.

ETA I think there was a December dogfight with USC in which Mario bailed us out with a deep ass 3 at the end, but we still won… barely, and in an ugly game…but heck, we were a bounce on the other side of the rim away from winning today

And even if no natty, if this team gets to a final four, no one will call this season a bad one
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I can't pick up what Ous is throwing down on Yesesfu.

I do think he can become a really good player for us, maybe even this season.

But so far there are just too many times where you wonder if he is the worst eligible scholarship player, and that's saying something considering KJ Adams is getting minutes.

We should feel fortunate if Yesefu becomes as effective as CB is right now at any point in Yes's career here.
Deleted User 863

Dude. You've dreamed up what Joe is in your head. He can't make things happen with the ball in his hands for anyone but himself because he's fucking lost on offense right now. When he's in the game he doesn't initiate offense primarily. Are you even watching the games?

We have multiple ball handlers. CB Och and Jalen all competent at bringing the ball up. They did so against pressure today without issue.

This strange take that we need to scheme around CB is fucking stupid. We don't need to at all. CB operates within the offense well. You should watch our games without trying to see things that validate your hot takes.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

We could use an on-ball guard who can create either for himself or others.

That’s not the role Christian plays. And is precisely why Joe was brought in.

And, without singling out Christian, I just wanna see something changed up, rather than doubling down on almost the same lineups and schemes we were getting our asses kicked with last year.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:47 pm We could use an on-ball guard who can create either for himself or others.

And, without singling out Christian, I just wanna see something changed up, rather than doubling down on almost the same lineups and schemes we were getting our asses kicked with last year.
That's Remy Martin and he's a completely different than any player we had last year. He stopped 2 or 3 scoring droughts today by beating his man with the shot or drive.

Team is still clearly getting used to him and that's where a turnover or two can happen--there's a big adjustment going from Garrett to Remy.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Changed up is Chai and Braun attacking the basket.

They can do that well this year.

Dont stop doing that.
Remy and Wilson stop launching guarded 3s with 23 on the clock.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:47 pm We could use an on-ball guard who can create either for himself or others.

You're describing what Remy is for us, not Yesufu. Remy does that. That's why Remy was brought here.

You want to argue that Yesufu should play over Harris, then have at it. Still probably wrong at this point, but at least you don't sound silly.

You're irrational when it comes to CB, and also apparently Yesufu now.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 863

Yesufu averaged less than 2 assists per game at Drake. This "creates for himself and others" narrative is something you've dreamed up. Or you're watching practices and seeing things we arent.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yesefu can clearly beat pretty much anyone in the country off the dribble. That's very good to have. Just doesn't do anything else right now, though, so his minutes seem like a net negative.

CB helps you out pretty much everywhere.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:58 pm Yesefu can clearly beat pretty much anyone in the country off the dribble.
Not seeing that.
Strength.
Let's slow that roll.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ok.

it’s a matter of trying new lineups, rather than doubling down on the ones we kept getting our asses kicked with last year.
ArgentineHawk

Post by ArgentineHawk »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:01 pm Ok.

it’s a matter of trying new lineups, rather than doubling down on the ones we kept getting our asses kicked with last year.
Bingo!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yes is one of 3 candidates for who will step up as the 2nd on-ball guard for us.

I think that’s a more important piece toward title hopes, than trying to build a contender around a utility wing.