Draft Watch

Kansas Basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Draft Watch

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Och and CB both projected in 1st round according to ESPN.

Och 12, CB 29
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Ha, Braun isn't a first rounder yet. ESPN draft projections are almost as bad as their recruit rankings.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:00 pm I realize the NBA drafts on potential, but I wouldn't draft Holmgren if I had a top 5 pick; he's going to get pushed around all over the court in almost any match-up he finds himself in for a minimum of the next 5 years...I'd probably take him towards the bottom of the lottery and try to do what the Sixers attempted to do with Shawn Bradley; get him in the weight room and get calories in him with the hopes that it doesn't screw with his current skill-set.

Banchero is a good player, but his draft projection feels like a direct result of the hype machine that is ESPN. He seems like a studio gangsta to me.

Ochai seems like as close to a solid pick as you can make in the draft...not a top 5 pick or anything, but teams know what they're getting if they draft him. I think Desmond Bane has done a lot for the perception of players in the draft that the NBA recently considered "too old".

With so little top line talent (IMO), it'll be interesting to see who rockets up the draft board after a good showing in the NCAA Tournament.
That was the knock on Kevin Durant and Steph Curry too. How many GMs that passed them up due to them being too skinny still have their jobs?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Kevin Durant was drafted #2.

But passing on Steph Curry haunts some of the GMs that passed on him for guys like johnny flynn ricky rubio tyreke evans and hasheem thabeet....and knick fans alike for him not falling 1 more spot. Franchise changing player.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:37 am Kevin Durant was drafted #2.

But passing on Steph Curry haunts some of the GMs that passed on him for guys like johnny flynn ricky rubio tyreke evans and hasheem thabeet....and knick fans alike for him not falling 1 more spot. Franchise changing player.
Unfortunately it was former Jayhawk Kevin Pritchard who was convinced that Greg Oden was the perfect fit for the Portland roster at the time and drafted Oden over Durant.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Dang. Figured this thread got bumped cause dajuan harris is shooting up the draft boards
Last edited by randylahey on Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Still makes me laugh that the Wolves skipped him twice, lol.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:49 am

Unfortunately it was former Jayhawk Kevin Pritchard who was convinced that Greg Oden was the perfect fit for the Portland roster at the time and drafted Oden over Durant.
Oden had a chance to be a great NBA player when he was drafted. Hard to predict injuries like he couldn't overcome, even though there were red flags. I don't think Oden over Durant seemed egregious at the time.

....but it quickly became apparent KD should have gone 1.
Deleted User 863

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:12 am

Still makes me laugh that the Wolves skipped him twice, lol.
That was an insanely bad draft for them.

Could have had Steph and Derozan.
Deleted User 863

randylahey wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:06 am Dang. Figured this thread got bumped cause of dajuan harris was shooting up the draft boards
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Dick.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:21 am I don't think Oden over Durant seemed egregious at the time.
It was to me.
At the time, RIP dotcom message boreds, I said that pick would be akin to Sam Bowie over Jordan.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:19 am Ha, Braun isn't a first rounder yet. ESPN draft projections are almost as bad as their recruit rankings.
I don't think there are many better than Givony and Schmitz. Maybe Vecenie.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

CBB player ages are always interesting compared to perception:

Matt Mayer 22.3
Ochai Agbaji 21.7
Keegan Murray 21.4
MarJon Beauchamp 21.2
EJ Lidell 21.1
Hugo Besson 20.7
Christian Braun 20.7
TyTy Washington 20.1
Mark Williams 20.1
Chet Holmgren 19.7
Paolo Banchero 19.2
Jabari Smith 18.7(!)
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Absolutely no way Chet goes before Jabari Smith. ESPN doesn't want to admit they were wrong about having Chet as the #1 recruit.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:32 am Absolutely no way Chet goes before Jabari Smith. ESPN doesn't want to admit they were wrong about having Chet as the #1 recruit.
I would take Smith #1 overall in this draft in a heartbeat. But, I do think Holmgren might have the highest floor in the draft because of defense.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

it i get a say, cb will have a senior season at KANSAS.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:34 am
Mjl wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:32 am Absolutely no way Chet goes before Jabari Smith. ESPN doesn't want to admit they were wrong about having Chet as the #1 recruit.
I would take Smith #1 overall in this draft in a heartbeat. But, I do think Holmgren might have the highest floor in the draft because of defense.
I don't know about that, I think that was the reason for Thabeet going so high.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:21 am

Oden had a chance to be a great NBA player when he was drafted. Hard to predict injuries like he couldn't overcome, even though there were red flags. I don't think Oden over Durant seemed egregious at the time.

Yeah, when it was reported that one of his legs was several inches longer than the other, that should have ended the conversation.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:51 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:21 am

Yeah, when it was reported that one of his legs was several inches longer than the other, that should have ended the conversation.
There was also that dick pick he sent that went public that clearly showed he had 3 legs.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Vecenie also updated his:

1. Smith
2. Holmgren
3. Banchero
11. Och
39. CB

No other KU player in the Top 100.

https://theathletic.com/3090131/2022/01 ... ry=vecenie