NFL Offseason 2022

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: NFL Offseason 2022

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:34 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:30 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:20 pm Ok, yeah, the stuff coming out now makes a lot more sense as far as Russ's value.
I think it's bad for the Broncos. I don't see Wilson as making them instantly competitive in the division, let alone the conference. And now they've severely kneecapped their ability to backfill with rookie contract depth.
I think it can both be true that Russ should garner that much and that Denver maybe should not have done it.

But, we shall see. Mahomes has played against an absolutely garbage AFC West since becoming the starter. Only 1 other playoff team in 4 seasons.
I mean, 2 teams but your point is proven. It hasn't been a great division in terms of playoffs for the AFC West. Just don't know if Russ swings the needle THAT much, to be honest.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:37 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:34 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:30 pm

I think it's bad for the Broncos. I don't see Wilson as making them instantly competitive in the division, let alone the conference. And now they've severely kneecapped their ability to backfill with rookie contract depth.
I think it can both be true that Russ should garner that much and that Denver maybe should not have done it.

But, we shall see. Mahomes has played against an absolutely garbage AFC West since becoming the starter. Only 1 other playoff team in 4 seasons.
I mean, 2 teams but your point is proven. It hasn't been a great division in terms of playoffs for the AFC West. Just don't know if Russ swings the needle THAT much, to be honest.
I'm not sure it does either, because to your point, Mahomes and Herbert.

It does not seem like a coincidence that this went public right after the Rodgers news. Denver was making a move at the position, and when it's that obvious it feels like it came all the way from the top.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mina is a big Hawks and Russ fan, so take with a grain of salt.

I do think, in general, with the expanded cap I would rather take on players than picks right now. But, I am not sure how close Denver is.

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/15 ... mMIP1WHEPA
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:37 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:35 pm They went from the 4th best QB in the division to the 3rd best. Is it worth all of that?
"Yes." - Pat Bowlen
ZOMBIE!!!
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

lol,

Wilson is only good if he has a HOF RB and an elite defense.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

They're defense is pretty good. And some decent weapons on offense. But I think we're going to find out how much Lockett was a security blanket for Russ.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"But, we shall see. Mahomes has played against an absolutely garbage AFC West since becoming the starter."

There's been several worse conferences than the AFC West.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I do think it's a no brainer for Denver.
They've whiffed on QB for almost ten years.
I actually think they got pretty good value--six to eight years of a no.1 QB?

I also think they are instant contenders in the division.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I'm probably somewhat undervaluing the guy by saying this but I don't think Russ single handedly is the difference between the Donkeys being 3-9 and let's say 9-3.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

They were 7-10 last year.
I think Russ is worth 3 or 4 wins.
I'd put the under/over on their win total at 10.5.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Yeah, I was basically brain-dead with my post. Not too sure what I was thinking. They were 3-9 in the conference. They certainly don't need to be 9-3 in the AFC to be a playoff contender - and/or to win the West. I agree Russ may be worth 3 or 4 more wins. They do have a tough schedule in 2022.
https://fbschedules.com/2022-denver-broncos-schedule/
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Pretty sure the Stafford deal by the Rams had some influence. I agree no brainer for Denver.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

This feels a little like that time the Chiefs got the last two years of Joe Montana's career.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

hartjack8 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:25 pm Pretty sure the Stafford deal by the Rams had some influence. I agree no brainer for Denver.
I think it's both a no-brainer (get busy or get busy dying), and also not likely to result in them getting to, much less winning, a Super Bowl.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

hartjack8 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:25 pm Pretty sure the Stafford deal by the Rams had some influence. I agree no brainer for Denver.
I think the Rams without Stafford are significantly better than the Broncos without Wilson.

Better coach, better front office, better skill players, better defense.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Where chiefs fans get annoyingly smug is when they start floating around the notion that other teams shouldn't even try to win or compete because how could any AFC team even think they could ever beat the chiefs in the playoffs for the next 15 years?

I don't know if the Broncos made a good move, time will tell, but I don't think you can do any evaluation without the context of the team sale and that they've been coveting a franchise QB for awhile when the division rivals all have one.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I think the Seahawks easily won this deal. Denver now has a mediocre team with no assets while Seattle gets to build a team around a QB on a rookie deal again. That worked out great for them last time. In fact, that's what usually works out unless you have Peyton or Brady (and hopefully soon to be Mahomes)

2017 - Foles - $1.0M
2013 - Wilson - $0.5M
2012 - Flacco - $6.7M
2011 - E. Manning - $6.5M
2010 - Rodgers - $6.0M
2009 - Brees - $4.5M
2008 - Roethlisberger $2.5M
2007 - E. Manning - $6.5M
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:51 am Where chiefs fans get annoyingly smug is when they start floating around the notion that other teams shouldn't even try to win or compete because how could any AFC team even think they could ever beat the chiefs in the playoffs for the next 15 years?

I don't know if the Broncos made a good move, time will tell, but I don't think you can do any evaluation without the context of the team sale and that they've been coveting a franchise QB for awhile when the division rivals all have one.
I think where we differ is that I don't think Wilson is a franchise QB.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I don't think it is out of the question that the Hawks flip some of that draft capital for a veteran QB if Pete Carroll has his way.

But, just straight out releasing Bobby Wagner means something weird is going down. The consensus around the country seems to be that Seattle lost the trade, and that's where I lean, a lot because of the new cap. The players that Seattle received just don't move the needle.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:52 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:51 am Where chiefs fans get annoyingly smug is when they start floating around the notion that other teams shouldn't even try to win or compete because how could any AFC team even think they could ever beat the chiefs in the playoffs for the next 15 years?

I think where we differ is that I don't think Wilson is a franchise QB.
We'll have to agree to disagree then, because I think that is absurd. Unless, you merely mean from today going forward, that makes a little more sense. I still think he has 6-8 good seasons left in him, maybe more with the way he takes care of his, admittedly small, body.