Transfer portal 2022

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:16 pm I think Dajuan can still have a big role doing what he's done.

but I also think any rotation including Dajuan has a much lower ceiling
Some of your basketball takes are almost as bad as your Russian foreign policy takes.

We just won a national title with DH as our starting PG.

We don't need NBA players at all 5 positions.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:30 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:16 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:07 pm

I don't wanna think about that, either! didn't mean to discredit DH.

But the thing is, we don't have to replace the role of DH and his defense for likely the next 3 years.

what we do have to replace, is that smooth sipping cognac of a scoring pg to complement him.
And the latter is much harder to replace.
is it really though?
No question. Very few guards, maybe none, have gone through here without turning into a pretty good defender. Even Remy looked hopeless and then looked pretty good in a matter of months, even while injured--made the biggest defensive play of the tournament. Defense a lot about effort, focus, intensity, and even the skills/footwork are teachable.

Try turning Dajuan or Marcus Garrett into a microwave off the bounce scorer. You can't. Och spent 4 years here, consensus AA, athletic as hell, and still was never a consistent threat driving to score. That kind of stuff is either in the player or its not.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Enaranu is weird. wonder where he will end up. still think there is a ton of potential there. 6'8 g/f with length and athleticism. wonder if he will ever put it together. his problem is he has some potential in every aspect of his game, but he isn't actually good at any one particular skill yet
Last edited by randylahey on Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 863

There is athletic potential, but he's not very good at basketball (yet) apparently. Athletic potential does not always equal basketball potential.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:25 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:16 pm I think Dajuan can still have a big role doing what he's done.

Some of your basketball takes are almost as bad as your Russian foreign policy takes.

With that said, i think we all hope to see a much improved version of dajuan next year. He should be able to improve his body at least. Add some weight, improve his strength/athlecism. That should be the easy part cause I know he will put in the work

Obviously he's going to be working on his shot. Itll be interesting to see how much it improves over the rest of his career here
Deleted User 863

randylahey wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:55 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:25 pm

With that said, i think we all hope to see a much improved version of dajuan next year. He should be able to improve his body at least. Add some weight, improve his strength/athlecism. That should be the easy part cause I know he will put in the work

Obviously he's going to be working on his shot. Itll be interesting to see how much it improves over the rest of his career here
Absolutely. His % is decent. He doesn't need to be Trae Young, but he does need to continue to be a threat either by shooting or attacking when they try to play off him. This year he became that. Obviously helped having Och and DMac. I think he will continue to improve. And I think Yesufu and Cuffe can fill the scoring/ballhandling void left by Remy. Yesufu looked good next to DH. Even though that's a smaller backcourt, I think it can work. I do not expect DH to play Frank/Devonte minutes. I think he'll be in that 30min range like he was this year. He's improved a ton since he's been here. No reason to think it'll stop now. Same goes for Yesufu. I think he'll look like a new man come November.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:55 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:16 pm

And the latter is much harder to replace.
is it really though?
No question. Very few guards, maybe none, have gone through here without turning into a pretty good defender. Even Remy looked hopeless and then looked pretty good in a matter of months, even while injured--made the biggest defensive play of the tournament. Defense a lot about effort, focus, intensity, and even the skills/footwork are teachable.

Try turning Dajuan or Marcus Garrett into a microwave off the bounce scorer. You can't. Och spent 4 years here, consensus AA, athletic as hell, and still was never a consistent threat driving to score. That kind of stuff is either in the player or its not.
eh…one could argue that the “effort, focus, [and] intensity” required to be an elite defender is either in the player or it’s not

i’m not necessarily disagreeing that elite offensive players might be more rare, but i don’t think the gap is all that large
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

One could argue just about anything if they put their mind to it. See: Illy and Qusdahl.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:53 am
KUTradition wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:30 pm is it really though?
Defense a lot about effort, focus, intensity, and even the skills/footwork are teachable.
eh…one could argue that the “effort, focus, [and] intensity” required to be an elite defender is either in the player or it’s not
I think it's tougher to fix a shot or improve a players burst to the basket than to teach good defense.
But you can improve shooting and scoring technique - it happens every season at KU.

I'd also say while it's tougher to fix a shot than to teach good defense, some players are already good defenders when they come in and have elite defender written all over them.
Marcus came in with that.
Dejuan has that too.
Remy improved to be adequate, not good, at the end of the season. He was bad for much of it. He did make a helluva play at the end of the game though.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

is it really though?

i’m not necessarily disagreeing that elite offensive players might be more rare, but i don’t think the gap is all that large
Well you can't effort yourself into becoming a good scorer. Defender, you can, and every guard that comes through here has the athleticism to become a good defender.

And then in the context of my original point, the rarity of an elite one-on-one scorer increases their value making them harder to replace. On a play-by-play level, good offense always beats good defense, it's just the nature of the sport.
Deleted User 863

Dawson Garcia from UNC has entered the portal. 6ft11in 235lb sophomore. Former 5 star.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

@ CnB and pdub…

perhaps it’s a perception issue, in that it just seems like there are more elite scorers than defenders because they are covered more heavily…by media, by box scores, etc

i don’t disagree that it’s harder to correct bad shooting form. but it also seems like the MG types are few and far between, be it for lack of will or lack of athleticism

i think we can all agree that being an elite scorer has more to do with actual skill and talent, whereas elite defense has more to do with athleticism and mindset
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

I think unless you follow certain teams closely it is harder to know who the elite defenders are unless they are elite shot blockers. Lock down on ball defense doesn't make the espn highlight real. Shot blocking will.

Leaky Black comes to mind this season as a non shot blocking lockdown defender.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:24 am

Well you can't effort yourself into becoming a good scorer. Defender, you can, and every guard that comes through here has the athleticism to become a good defender.

And then in the context of my original point, the rarity of an elite one-on-one scorer increases their value making them harder to replace. On a play-by-play level, good offense always beats good defense, it's just the nature of the sport.
I know it's probably not what you meant by "good," but a guy like Jalen efforts himself into at least half his points. This is very much meant as a compliment to Jalen as a college player (but is also why he will have a very chilly NBA reception, even if he comes back and scores 20/game).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

True. But, like you said, Jalen is not a good scorer. More Dennis Rodman.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I would be somewhat surprised at this point if we don't land Davis.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Emoni Bates. 👀 👀 👀
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

No thank you.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:53 pmNo thank you.
Why exactly?