all conference ...

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: all conference ...

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:48 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:34 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:21 am

Well, I'd say that sorts wraps Bruce's career up with a little bow, right? He did great with a full cupboard...and then left an empty one.
Didn't they make an elite 8 a few years ago?

That's pretty good for KState. More programs than you'd think have never even made an elite 8.
38 different programs have made at least 1 Elite Eight just in the last 10 years, 21 of which have made more than 1 in that time. Kansas, Duke and Kentucky have each made 5 Elite Eights in the last 10 years.
Any idea how many teams in D1 have never made an elite 8 in the modern tournament era?

There are 358 D1 teams.

My guess is that 250ish have never made an elite 8.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It does, albeit very minor, for me.

"The fact that KU did not have as tough a road seed-wise takes zero shine or enjoyment off of last year's national title."

Like winning a free catered meal from KC Joes but they forgot the white bread and pickles.
It's still gonna be delicious and it was free but woulda been great had I gotten to make a sandwich if I wanted.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:55 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:34 am

Didn't they make an elite 8 a few years ago?

That's pretty good for KState. More programs than you'd think have never even made an elite 8.
38 different programs have made at least 1 Elite Eight just in the last 10 years, 21 of which have made more than 1 in that time. Kansas, Duke and Kentucky have each made 5 Elite Eights in the last 10 years.
Any idea how many teams in D1 have never made an elite 8 in the modern tournament era?

There are 358 D1 teams.

Kansas State is in a power conference. Only count those. It's pointless to drag a bunch of ding dong directional programs into the conversation as it is not apples to apples at all.

This is all-time, not "in the modern era". You'd probably lose a dozen more teams if you drew the line at 1985.

Every team in the current Big 12 has made an Elite Eight.
Every team in the current ACC has made an Elite Eight.
Every team in the current PAC 12 has made an Elite Eight.
Every SEC team but Texas A&M and Ole Miss has made the Elite Eight.
Every Big Ten team but Nebraska and Northwestern has made the Elite Eight.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:12 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:55 am

There are 358 D1 teams.

Kansas State is in a power conference. Only count those. It's pointless to drag a bunch of ding dong directional programs into the conversation as it is not apples to apples at all.

This is all-time, not "in the modern era". You'd probably lose a dozen more teams if you drew the line at 1985.

Every team in the current Big 12 has made an Elite Eight.
Every team in the current ACC has made an Elite Eight.
Every team in the current PAC 12 has made an Elite Eight.
Every SEC team but Texas A&M and Ole Miss has made the Elite Eight.
Every Big Ten team but Nebraska and Northwestern has made the Elite Eight.
The ACC part is surprising! Figured they'd have one or two who haven't made it.
surly

Post by surly »

schools can hardly be held responsible for their matchups. remember, k-state's run happened without their star, dean wade. imagine this ku team without wilson as a comparative. y'all think the hawks would make an e8 run without him?
Deleted User 863

surly wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:55 am schools can hardly be held responsible for their matchups. remember, k-state's run happened without their star, dean wade. imagine this ku team without wilson as a comparative. y'all think the hawks would make an e8 run without him?
Nope.

Dean Wade has had a surprisingly good NBA career too.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Hawks made the National Championship without Ben McLemore who was drafted 7th overall only one year after.

larry bird jr went undrafted.

Hawks also made the National Championship without Wayne Simien who was drafted in the 1st round as well and was a consensus 1st team AA and B12POY - also something larry bird jr never did.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

once the madness tips. i want all BIG 12 schools to win.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dean Wade might give hope to Zach Clemence.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:15 am Dean Wade might give hope to Zach Clemence.
Why? They're not much alike other than both being white.
surly

Post by surly »

you believe zach will make poy, i don't?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

dean wade never made poy.
the last ksu player to win b12poy was money bags rental "i went to a small school in manhattan, Kansas that nobody heard of in 25 years" michael beasley.

Meanwhile KU has won 5 of the last 7.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I remember Larrybirdjr as a big man with a jumper, right?

That’s pretty much what Zach is.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:23 am I remember Larrybirdjr as a big man with a jumper, right?

Er, i hate to defend a ksu player but no, that's not all larry bird jr was.
he was more athletic than Clemence and had a good arsenal of post moves.
I'm not even sure Clemence 'has' a jumper at this point.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:23 am dean wade never made poy.
the last ksu player to win b12poy was money bags rental "i went to a small school in manhattan, Kansas that nobody heard of in 25 years" michael beasley.

Meanwhile KU has won 5 of the last 7.
lol

thank you for correcting timme…the incessant need to try and convince an opposing fan base of some sort of glory or relevance nationally is sad
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

i would also note that, in larry bj's two best years, where he might have won b12poy, a KU player won it and made 1st team AA ( larry bj didn't ever make even 3rd team AA ) and a KU player may have been robbed of it ( see below ).

player A: 19.4 PPG, 10.3 RPG, 1.7 APG, 1.3 SPG, 1.1 BPG, 49% FG, 39% 3FG.
player B: 18.5 PPG, 6.4 RPG, 3.7 APG, 1.5 SPG, .6 BPG, 46% FG, 30% 3FG.
surly

Post by surly »

you don't believe k-state is relevant nationally? i mean coach tang is national coach of the year, right? keyontae johnson is a national story. markquis nowell is an all-american. the team will be either a three or maybe a two seed. please.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

they are relevant this season, yes.
we'll see what happens next season without nowell and your national story.

I would vote for Bill Self or Shaka Smart for National Coach of the Year because they actually won something.

"Coach K is widely regarded as the GOAT of Men's College Basketball Coaching - he spent 42 years at Duke and won 13 regular season conference championships...in 42 years...Bill Self got 17 in 20."
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:23 am I remember Larrybirdjr as a big man with a jumper, right?

Zach is basically a non athletic 5.

Wade is a true 4 who can shoot and is relatively athletic. He can somewhat guard NBA 3s and 4s.

Clemence can't guard any position at the college level, let alone the NBA level.

I am shocked, but Wade has started 56 NBA games. He is far superior to Clemence. He's probably closer to Jalen Wilson. So maybe it should give Jalen Wilson some hope?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

surly wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:39 am you don't believe k-state is relevant nationally? i mean coach tang is national coach of the year, right? keyontae johnson is a national story. markquis nowell is an all-american. the team will be either a three or maybe a two seed. please.
trying

so

hard
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?