Where's the Pro-Life thread?

Ugh.
Cascadia

Re: Where's the Pro-Life thread?

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:14 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:54 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:43 am

Oh, Gorsuch, Kavanugh and Barrett understand what their job is, yes they do.
I am not nearly as cynical about ANY of the supreme court justices. Regardless of who nominated them.
Not sure what to tell you then.

All three were the ripest fruit from the Federalist Society tree. Two of the three were sham appointments (and the one that wasn't, was a really soft nominee).

Not to mention, one of the Court's nine members is - in the most charitable light - married to someone who conspired with a defeated president to subvert the 2020 election.

It's not good! And don't bother both-sidesing this one.
He’s not smart enough to keep up.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:25 am If DC WUZ right, and this is just another both sides thing, and the lib assault on Citizens United is just like the con assault on Roe, I dunno if SCOTUS would have to put fences around the courthouse in anticipation of the decision.

I mean would anyone even protest it?

(Besides DCHawk himself)
Who is saying it is a both sides thing? I am certainly not. Other than both sides think the other sides nominees are bullshit choices.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

(It was part of DC’s shtick.)

And yeah, both sides think the other side’s nominees are bullshit choices, but only one side really features multiple justices appointed and confirmed under bullshit circumstances.

Just ask Neil Gorsuch!
Last edited by ousdahl on Tue May 03, 2022 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:27 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:25 am If DC WUZ right, and this is just another both sides thing, and the lib assault on Citizens United is just like the con assault on Roe, I dunno if SCOTUS would have to put fences around the courthouse in anticipation of the decision.

(Besides DCHawk himself)
Who is saying it is a both sides thing? I am certainly not. Other than both sides think the other sides nominees are bullshit choices.
But that's not even what we're talking about here.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Take a whiff of this silly-ass magical thinking.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1 ... rmwKfw5aIQ
Deleted User 863

jfish26 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:31 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:27 am

(Besides DCHawk himself)
But that's not even what we're talking about here.
ousdahl wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:25 am If DC WUZ right, and this is just another both sides thing, and the lib assault on Citizens United is just like the con assault on Roe

Who is saying this?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:10 am
kubowler99 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:55 am There's a lot about this potential decision that is wrong (obviously), but here's something I thought about last night after seeing the breaking news -

Overturning Roe v. Wade has been the driving force for getting the Christian Right out of the pews and into the voting booths for the past 50 years, and it's essentially been THE ONLY platform for the past 20. So my question is this:

What is going to be the next thing to get them to the polls? And I don't ask that as a scare tactic for what's to come (there is some concern there though), but more along the lines of how are they going to motivate that relatively large portion of their base? Yeah, I know a small portion are inherently racist so the dog whistle stuff about CRT and immigration will always scare them enough to vote, but is there really something that's not full-on conspiracy theory level that will get them back to the polls?
Good point, and something I meant to mention.

Now that the base finally got their red meat, what do they have left?
They’ll find something. Some kind of “preserve our victory” rallying cry will be the next shiny object. They need something, anything, to distract from the point that they are now just a “hate-non-white, not-heterosexual people” Party.

In related news, Susan Collins is clutching the pearls more tightly. Personally I prefer MTG and Gym Jordan to the likes of Susan Collins - at least they are honest about their beliefs
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

zsn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:39 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:10 am
kubowler99 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:55 am There's a lot about this potential decision that is wrong (obviously), but here's something I thought about last night after seeing the breaking news -

Overturning Roe v. Wade has been the driving force for getting the Christian Right out of the pews and into the voting booths for the past 50 years, and it's essentially been THE ONLY platform for the past 20. So my question is this:

What is going to be the next thing to get them to the polls? And I don't ask that as a scare tactic for what's to come (there is some concern there though), but more along the lines of how are they going to motivate that relatively large portion of their base? Yeah, I know a small portion are inherently racist so the dog whistle stuff about CRT and immigration will always scare them enough to vote, but is there really something that's not full-on conspiracy theory level that will get them back to the polls?
Good point, and something I meant to mention.

Now that the base finally got their red meat, what do they have left?
They’ll find something. Some kind of “preserve our victory” rallying cry will be the next shiny object. They need something, anything, to distract from the point that they are now just a “hate-non-white, not-heterosexual people” Party.

In related news, Susan Collins is clutching the pearls more tightly. Personally I prefer MTG and Gym Jordan to the likes of Susan Collins - at least they are honest about their beliefs
lgbtq+ rights will take center stage, as is already the case in several red states
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Shouldn’t the title of this thread be renamed “Where’s the Forced-birther Thread”?
Deleted User 863

The leak is doing exactly what it was designed to do. Get the left in a frenzy.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:26 pm The leak is doing exactly what it was designed to do. Get the left in a frenzy.
“If you are not outraged you’re not paying attention”. BTW, it’s just “preview frenzy”. Hopefully the frenzy will result in a monster turnout and forever put an end to the tyranny of the minority.

And I don’t use that phrase lightly. The majority of the Supreme Court was installed by those representing a significantly small minority of the population. The US Senate is just one more piece of evidence that the Founding Fathers were fully fallible.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

“If you are not outraged you’re not paying attention”

x1,000

and this doesn’t even directly affect me, or my family
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i may have misheard, but apparently misery has a law on the books where you can be charged with a crime if you go to another state to get an abortion

wtf
Deleted User 863

zsn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:53 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:26 pm The leak is doing exactly what it was designed to do. Get the left in a frenzy.
“If you are not outraged you’re not paying attention”. BTW, it’s just “preview frenzy”. Hopefully the frenzy will result in a monster turnout and forever put an end to the tyranny of the minority.

And I don’t use that phrase lightly. The majority of the Supreme Court was installed by those representing a significantly small minority of the population. The US Senate is just one more piece of evidence that the Founding Fathers were fully fallible.
I am outraged that the government wants to control people's bodies. We all agree there. I don't think abortion should be banned. But that doesn't mean that I think Roe V Wade was a flawless ruling.

The constitution and bill of rights are meant to protect the minority just as much as they are meant to protect the majority.

There was a time where the majority thought slavery was acceptable. That doesn't mean they were right.
Deleted User 863

KUTradition wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:01 pm i may have misheard, but apparently misery has a law on the books where you can be charged with a crime if you go to another state to get an abortion

wtf
So fucked up.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

…and give the BUT HER EMAILS lunatics a good old fashioned LEAK to get mad at (as opposed to the substance of the issue).
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:24 pm
The constitution and bill of rights are meant to protect the minority just as much as they are meant to protect the majority.

There was a time where the majority thought slavery was acceptable. That doesn't mean they were right.
What part of any of this is protecting minority rights? It’s tyranny of the minority, not about protecting minority rights.
Deleted User 863

zsn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:10 pm

What part of any of this is protecting minority rights?
None of it. I am not in favor of what is happening (if it is actually going to happen).

I was speaking in general terms.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:10 pm

What part of any of this is protecting minority rights? It’s tyranny of the minority, not about protecting minority rights.
Yes. This is about protecting minority preferences, not rights.