COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
PhDhawk

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by PhDhawk »

Not getting vaccinated is just Internet Trolling IRL...so trolling.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

So Pdub is good with cooks not washing their hands after taking a dump? Yikes.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm not good with it.
I don't think the federal government should enforce it say with video cameras and scanners/blue light tech of some kind in order for a cook to go back to work.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Who should enforce it then? Are you saying that there should be no enforcement? So it’s just a suggestion then? As 99 says, Yikes!
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If a business wants to enforce washing hands, that's up to them.
The central government shouldn't go, hey, small diner in Ohio, we don't think your staff is washing their hands to the level we want you to, you're shutdown.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:52 am If a business wants to enforce washing hands, that's up to them.
The central government shouldn't go, hey, small diner in Ohio, we don't think your staff is washing their hands to the level we want you to, you're shutdown.
What are you talking about, yes that's what the government (local, in this case) should do!

I understand you used a squishy "the level we want you to" threshold, but come on.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:52 am If a business wants to enforce washing hands, that's up to them.
But, that's exactly what state health departments do, among other things.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:56 am
The Reagan-era paranoia over government is poisonous. As I've mentioned, I voted R on a nearly-uniform basis until Trump. I have what could be described as traditional conservative economic and governance values; I prefer small government, and I prefer local governance.

BUT - government is just a job, like any other. The whole idea is that, as each of us individually cannot manage things like public health on a community scale, we pay people to do things like that. Of fucking course one of the functions is to be sure we're not spreading disease.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:03 am
The Reagan-era paranoia over government is poisonous. As I've mentioned, I voted R on a nearly-uniform basis until Trump. I have what could be described as traditional conservative economic and governance values; I prefer small government, and I prefer local governance.

BUT - government is just a job, like any other. The whole idea is that, as each of us individually cannot manage things like public health on a community scale, we pay people to do things like that. Of fucking course one of the functions is to be sure we're not spreading disease.
What I find so silly about the 'muh rights' arguments is how many other rights we've given up and don't bat an eye about. Then we're pissed about masks or safe vaccines.

We have to get a license to fish in a public lake and we accept that. We pay taxes on the money we earn and we are fine with it.

I don't want a big government controlling every aspect of our lives. But damn we think we're a lot more free than we are just because we're used to all the regulations.

You know how many hoops you have to jump through to start a small business? Those are some gov't regulations I'd like to see reduced or streamlined more than I care about not wearing a mask, or someone's right not to take life-saving safe vaccines.

We have an awful lot of Patrick Henry wannabes jumping over $20 bills to grab some $1 bills.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

And you're right it is just a job. Which is why it's hilarious that people shit their pants if an intelligence agency taps a phone without the proper warrants. But the same pants shitters are making their complaints about being monitored on their facebook account on a smart phone.

In either case the people with access to your information are just employees.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Leawood wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:57 pm Some people need to read more about civil liberties. Those that think a federal, state, or local government can simply spy with impunity on someone's internet use (Facebook, etc.) forget about a little thing called "warrants" and the 4th Amendment. Similarly, federal, state, and local governments have this thing called "public health and safety" powers (read, vaccines) that folks must follow for the greater good. I suppose one can homeschool their kids to avoid polio vaccines and the like, but, if public health and safety requires it, then the government has the power to regulate. If one is unhappy with the exercise of that power, then there are these things called "courts" that can umpire such societal tensions, and there are plenty of "public interest" lawyers who do just that. On the other side of the coin, someone like the Missouri A.D. can file suit to stop mask mandates in Kansas City, except that the A.D. with his political stunt forgot that Kansas City is a constitution charter city under the Missouri Constitution. So good luck with that.
This post got skipped over and ignored and it is a good one.

And we know what Eric Schmitt is up to. He wants to run for governor by suing China and now KC. Because we know he wouldn't want to make this political at all.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:12 amWe have an awful lot of Patrick Henry wannabes jumping over $20 bills to grab some $1 bills.
Take my POTD vote.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:12 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:03 am

What I find so silly about the 'muh rights' arguments is how many other rights we've given up and don't bat an eye about. Then we're pissed about masks or safe vaccines.

We have to get a license to fish in a public lake and we accept that. We pay taxes on the money we earn and we are fine with it.

I don't want a big government controlling every aspect of our lives. But damn we think we're a lot more free than we are just because we're used to all the regulations.

You know how many hoops you have to jump through to start a small business? Those are some gov't regulations I'd like to see reduced or streamlined more than I care about not wearing a mask, or someone's right not to take life-saving safe vaccines.

We have an awful lot of Patrick Henry wannabes jumping over $20 bills to grab some $1 bills.
I think a lot of those should be rolled back as well.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

People value principles that differ than yours.
Some want fewer restrictions rather than more.
And want to put their foot down rather than just saying 'no big deal' to the next loss of ( LOL ) liberties.

Some of the things mentioned ( fishing licenses or businesses ) are things that people elect to do or be a part of - but the government isn't saying 'you have to have a fishing license even if you don't want to fish' or 'you have to have a business license even if you don't want to start a business'. And neither of those involve injecting something into your body.

And the whole government cannot spy due to regulations is some horseshit.
In theory that is correct -- but one can't read what Snowden revealed and think that is legitimate.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

none of those deal with public health and an infectious disease either

i personally like having a social contract, with responsible members that make decisions based on the greater good rather than out of ignorance or selfishness
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

The conversation shouldn't have ever needed to get to this point.

Dumbfuck, scaredy cats, who are too fucking lazy and selfish to get a safe life saving shot brought us here.

If they do what's right long ago, this isn't a discussion.

Regardless of how I feel about mandated vaccines, I won't waste my breath defending these uninformed shitbags.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

zsn wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:48 am Who should enforce it then? Are you saying that there should be no enforcement? So it’s just a suggestion then? As 99 says, Yikes!
Who enforces that now? Employers are supposed to be but I don't see managers at restaurants checking people's hands when they return from a restroom break. I've worked at a dozen or more restaurants and have never been asked about it at all. They tell you to do it in orientation and they stick a sign on the bathroom door and then that is usually the end of it. If you think that's actually being "enforced" by anyone then you're delusional.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:07 am People value principles that differ than yours.
And want to put their foot down rather than just saying 'no big deal' to the next loss of ( LOL ) liberties.

Some of the things mentioned ( fishing licenses or businesses ) are things that people elect to do or be a part of - but the government isn't saying 'you have to have a fishing license even if you don't want to fish' or 'you have to have a business license even if you don't want to start a business'. And neither of those involve injecting something into your body.

In theory that is correct -- but one can't read what Snowden revealed and think that is legitimate.
I have to produce my kids' vaccine record to do anything more than go through a Wendy's. Mandatory vaccinations are, and have been, an accepted part of public life for decades.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:19 am
pdub wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:07 am People value principles that differ than yours.

I have to produce my kids' vaccine record to do anything more than go through a Wendy's. Mandatory vaccinations are, and have been, an accepted part of public life for decades.
In reality, we are also looking at a path of lesser resistance.

I'm not sure how anyone can look at vaccine passports as a restriction after what we've been through the last 18 months. It's a way to open up current restrictions--why it is being called a passport.

EU and many others still can't come to the US. I just saw family in home country for first time in 2 years because of a very narrow travel exception for the vaccinated. Vaccine means access--it's like the narrative is backwards.